anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

i forgot what i put here last time... see footnotes, i guess?

Overwriting Again: Me in Threes

PROMPT: YOU in threes

8
Three quirks or idiosyncrasies:
  • I tug on my earlobes when I want something to do with my hands, which may be related to "Tugging my ear. Whenever" from The Selection by Kiera Cass. I'm not sure.
  • If you hear me singing in the shower, there's a 90% chance it's a Taylor Swift song.
  • I run an analysis on at least half the people I see and all the people I meet. From clothes, to looks, to expressions, to posture, to speech and how they interact with others (if possible). It's *mostly* objective. I notice cute clothes and cute guys frequently, but I forget a good percentage of them in days.
Three communities to which you belong (these can be unusual):
  • The community of athletic nerds, whoever you are! (Volleyball and long-distance running in track are my two sports, but I've played softball, soccer, cross-country, and basketball. VB is my all-time favorite sport, and it's been a rough journey to get where I am now. This is my 7th year playing.)
  • Teen girls who love Jesus but sometimes are scared to unabashedly follow Him 
  • Short volleyball players (who's with me? under 5'5"?)   
Three adjectives your peers would use to describe you:
  • Talkative
  • The smart one
  • "Isn't she the really short one?"
Three adjectives your family would use:
  • Good-natured
  • Easygoing
  • Helpful
Three adjectives you would use:
  • Complex
  • Cheerful
  • Talkative
Three things about you that very few people know.
  • I think mercy and forgiveness is an important concept that we have not accepted. Justice is absolutely essential, but sometimes, it's time to let go of the past, extend mercy and forgiveness, and move forward without constantly worrying about being offended or offending another.
  • I have a tail feather of a rooster on my dresser in a jar with all of my other feathers. It's iridescent green and curved. I also have several other chicken feathers, all of which I found at a zoo on the floor of the barnyard section.
  • The only R-rated movie I've seen is The Passion of the Christ. An important film, but quite disturbing. Of course, so is what happened during that time.
Three beliefs you hold:
  • I believe that Jesus Christ was crucified as the ultimate sacrifice—the final Passover lamb—in order to save me and every single person to ever exist from their sins, that they may have eternal life in heaven with Him. 
  • I believe that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is false. Words have insurmountable power.
  • I believe that we feel best when we're with people who make us feel whole and make us laugh, in the outdoors, in the sunshine, without screens or distractions of media. (And maybe with some chips, salsa, and homemade guac... or homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, which I made yesterday... or homemade scones—blueberry or cranberry orange—or homemade salted caramel sauce right out of the jar... or beef ribs in BBQ sauce... or carne asada tacos... or—you know, I'm gonna stop.)
Three questions you have:
  • What's your favorite season(s) and why? (@anyone who feels like answering in the comments)
  • How can we turn the tide on complacency and laziness and bring the world back to the principles of hard work, perseverance, and a healthy sense of pride in accomplishments? (I don't mean pride as in boastful or thinking you're above others; I mean the kind of pride that doesn't always accept free handouts, excuses, and does what needs to be done)
  • How can we, as a society, realize that we are not entitled to anything in this world and stop looking for excuses to make life easier for ourselves?'
Three qualities that make your life singular and/or unusual:
  • I'm an only child.
  • I've grown up on five acres as long as I can remember, and I'm used to wide-open spaces, hundreds of trees, grass, plants galore, red dirt, and having a place to play and run around.
  • I've been a straight-A student as long as I've been receiving letter grades, and I sometimes wish I weren't.
Three specific physical descriptions (the particular shape of your front teeth, the color of your palms, the curve of your spine):
  • My eyelids are smooth and hooded.
  • My hair is black-brown, but it gets almost red streaks from the sun. It's as coarse as a bristle brush.
  • I have faint scars on my right leg from ankle to knee from four separate incidents. The first was years ago, when I tripped on a wooden post as soon as I got out of the truck when I as camping. The second, third, and fourth all happened last year: running across the school parking lost in Birkenstocks, tearing that open in flag football in PE on turf, and not quite clearing a hurdle in track.
Three flaws: Where to begin?
  • Talking too much and not listening enough.
  • Making excuses and arguing with my mom. (But we're also really close.)
  • Judging people (Unfortunately, I do this all the time. Just in my head. Which doesn't exactly make it better, but I don't say, "Gee, look how ugly her shoes are." I just think, Wow, those are interesting shoes. You couldn't pay me enough to wear those. It's not always bad stuff, though.)
Three favorites:
  • Standalone books: Hope and Other Punch Lines, Lovely War, All the Light We Cannot See, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Read them! Look them up! Hope is the most YA one, followed by Lovely, while the others transcend age and style. Especially All the Light. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 2015.)
  • Interior design style: rustic modern, farmhouse modern (think dark, distressed wood, driftwood, shiplap, neat lines, purposefully worn decor; think galvanized metal, white distressed picture frames, light and airy, butcher block counters, whimsical and cozy)
  • Avocados!!!
Three pet peeves:
  • People who are misinformed or only repeating what their parents or the media says. (I'm guilty of it too!)
  • Improper grammar. I'm certainly guilty of it here, but I also have an entire folder of grammar articles under my "Book Research" bookmark folder, so... I guess I'm a grammar freak (Yes, I know ellipses and em dashes are overused.)
  • People who post stuff for the sole purpose of hating on other people, without even a shred of evidence, logic, or reason. Disagreeing politely is one thing, disagreeing with a passionate opinion is another thing, and disagreeing with some criticism is another thing. But posts and comments for the sake of inflaming others and being angry just doesn't help. (Both "sides" do it.)
Three instincts that serve you well:
  • My instinct for smelling food. haha
  • My instinct for knowing when to sprint in a mid/long distance race (speed up around the turn and sprint the last 50-60 meters; I always get that last kick of energy in a race).
  • My instinct for understanding how to talk to adults (I guess? I've been trying to think of a social instinct, and I'm not sure I have one. I mean, I have fairly good social skills, and I can carry a conversation, even if it has several awkward pauses. But no instincts, per se.)
Three sources of comfort:
  • Familiar books, like Harry Potter
  • Being with my closest family, camping
  • Cozied up with dessert and my parents, watching our family TV show together
updates as of 12.10.20: shoutout to mirkat for calling me out on an important word change.
Well, I felt like answering every question on this prompt. So here we are, over a thousand words and an hour later. I honestly can't think of a lot more about me, but it will all inevitably come to mind in a few hours. After I've posted this. If you wanna know anything else about me that's not my social security number, ask in the comments! Also, feel free to answer the random question up there: What is your favorite season(s) and why?
Mine is summer, followed by fall. Or maybe spring. I was definitely saying spring several months ago. I love dry, hot weather and no school and freedom, but spring is so cheerful with all the new greenery and flowers. And fall is just the most aesthetic of them all, what with cozy fireside chats and lattes and tea (even though I don't drink tea) and cardigans and sweaters and rust colors and mustard yellow and beanies and autumn colors and dresses with boots and mom jeans and crisp air and baking and apples and pumpkins. Can you tell I'm a sucker for aesthetics?

I relate sooooo much with like all of these (minus Taylor Swift cause I don't listen to her). I 100 percent agree with your three beliefs (specially the one about being outside; outdoors is the best), and I LOVE your last three questions!!!
    Favorite season for me is probably...spring? Or autumn. Both nice in between weather. Spring I love because it means I can start planting in the garden, but autumn is so bittersweet and beautiful.

• Aconite

Ha ha, that's okay. loved learning about you and this piece rocks!
    I love volleyball too but I'm like 5' 3" soo...
    I lovvvve autumn. summer is way too hot and winter is just rainy and ick. Spring is okay.

• barelybear

This is so cute and omg why do I relate so much? I love nature too, and I definitely know the stress of having high grades to maintain.
    Volleyball has always sounded so exciting to me, but I’ve never even seen it played over here :(
    One day I hope to play for fun maybe
    I love autumn because it’s got colour, spice and cosiness all blended up together (plus gingerbread hot chocolate :p )
    re: yea she cuts the doll ahahah I was just absently going through the prompts when suddenly that one came and I was like YES. Idrk what I was thinking but I just jumped into the inspiration and tried to let my mind do what it wanted

• Busssy.Beee

hmmmm season? tbh, i love all seasons. But, winter has got to be one of my favs. Just like winter and holiday vibes?? Love that lol. but, i hate waking up in the cold. and then, i love summer too. spring and fall are nice and chill and beautiful scenery-wise. but at the same time, my allergies go cRaZyyyy, so that's a bummer. do you have allergies?

• In Which Yaya Writes

Ok. Here’s a little surprise for your reading ears: SORRY!!!! I have a hard time prioritizing what to reply to, and I put off replying to long comments, and it’s just something I’m not good at XD. So I have to go to church now, but tomorrow I WILL be replying to you, as well as catching up on reading some stuff I’ve missed of both yours and others XD. So..... yeah.

• Coeur

Oh cool, interesting piece and cool information! My brother collects feathers as well.
    reply: History's fascinating, I love it. As to essays... I'm kinda getting more interested in them this year. This last summer I started reading a bit more nonfiction (mostly books on literature and writing really) and a few books about history. I've never really liked essays or nonfiction before, but I'm starting to now. Also this year my English class is teaching about the technicalities of essay writing, like classic oration style etc etc, and I find that really interesting and fun! What about you? You're clearly really good at writing essays, have you liked it for a while?

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

re: i'm not sure i get what you..mean. i write in a lot of different styles..are you talking about my casual writing style, my novel-writing style??

• beth r.

harry potter is an absolute comfort
    re: glad you'd be interested in a collab! I put some details in this piece: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/207975/version/428562
    Stay tuned for more details to come on a potential story chain!

• Halopoet

re: oh now that we've got the ball rolling... harry potter, hunger games, practically all the classics. Never wanted to but some YAs, like All the bright places, I dont like it because of the YA thingy but because its such a brilliant book[no spoilers just in case]. Then I totally love Oscar wilde and charles dickens, and Enid blyton and Jeanette winterson...etc. Gahhh I cant stop! Haha. In songs I love taylor swift and the oldies, but also Ed sheeran and Harry styles and yeahh... I guess that's all.

• Ash~

One of my flaws is judging people, I do the same exact thing! Fall is my favorite, mostly because of the rainy weather, and the aesthetics of course -like you said ;) Merry Christmas!

Re: Woohoo I remembered!

This is so nice! It's nice to know more about you!

My favourite season is probably winter/autumn. My birthday marks the start of Autumn in India (At least where I live), so it's a huge blast. And winter is so perfect. The only downside is that I don't feel like getting up from bed XD

An avocados! I don't find good quality ones here, but my mom would buy a bunch of them whenever she goes to US. The best part is that we need to finish them quickly, and the rest of my family hates them! They shouldn't though.

Re: I know, right? Awesome.
    Yay! Lol 5 acres is a lot to me. I forgot: Are you one of my NorCal buddies or are you from somewhere else?