anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

update as of 12.10.20: this is very slightly edited (i got rid of the annoying bulletpoint at the bottom that didn't want to go away last time.)
i just wanted to show you all who i am. i didn't actually reread this, so some of it might have changed. you can ignore the footnotes if you want.

Overwriting Again: Me in Threes

PROMPT: YOU in threes

9
Three quirks or idiosyncrasies:
  • I tug on my earlobes when I want something to do with my hands, which may be related to "Tugging my ear. Whenever" from The Selection by Kiera Cass. I'm not sure.
  • If you hear me singing in the shower, there's a 90% chance it's a Taylor Swift song.
  • I run an analysis on at least half the people I see and all the people I meet. From clothes, to looks, to expressions, to posture, to speech and how they interact with others (if possible). It's *mostly* objective. I notice cute clothes and cute guys frequently, but I forget a good percentage of them in days.
Three communities to which you belong (these can be unusual):
  • The community of athletic nerds, whoever you are! (Volleyball and long-distance running in track are my two sports, but I've played softball, soccer, cross-country, and basketball. VB is my all-time favorite sport, and it's been a rough journey to get where I am now. This is my 7th year playing.)
  • Teen girls who love Jesus but sometimes are scared to unabashedly follow Him 
  • Short volleyball players (who's with me? under 5'5"?)   
Three adjectives your peers would use to describe you:
  • Talkative
  • The smart one
  • "Isn't she the really short one?"
Three adjectives your family would use:
  • Good-natured
  • Easygoing
  • Helpful
Three adjectives you would use:
  • Complex
  • Cheerful
  • Talkative
Three things about you that very few people know.
  • I think mercy and forgiveness is an important concept that we have not accepted. Justice is absolutely essential, but sometimes, it's time to let go of the past, extend mercy and forgiveness, and move forward without constantly worrying about being offended or offending another.
  • I have a tail feather of a rooster on my dresser in a jar with all of my other feathers. It's iridescent green and curved. I also have several other chicken feathers, all of which I found at a zoo on the floor of the barnyard section.
  • The only R-rated movie I've seen is The Passion of the Christ. An important film, but quite disturbing. Of course, so is what happened during that time.
Three beliefs you hold:
  • I believe that Jesus Christ was crucified as the ultimate sacrifice—the final Passover lamb—in order to save me and every single person to ever exist from their sins, that they may have eternal life in heaven with Him. 
  • I believe that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is false. Words have insurmountable power.
  • I believe that we feel best when we're with people who make us feel whole and make us laugh, in the outdoors, in the sunshine, without screens or distractions of media. (And maybe with some chips, salsa, and homemade guac... or homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, which I made yesterday... or homemade scones—blueberry or cranberry orange—or homemade salted caramel sauce right out of the jar... or beef ribs in BBQ sauce... or carne asada tacos... or—you know, I'm gonna stop.)
Three questions you have:
  • What's your favorite season(s) and why? (@anyone who feels like answering in the comments)
  • How can we turn the tide on complacency and laziness and bring the world back to the principles of hard work, perseverance, and a healthy sense of pride in accomplishments? (I don't mean pride as in boastful or thinking you're above others; I mean the kind of pride that doesn't always accept free handouts, excuses, and does what needs to be done)
  • How can we, as a society, realize that we are not entitled to anything in this world and stop looking for excuses to make life easier for ourselves?'
Three qualities that make your life singular and/or unusual:
  • I'm an only child.
  • I've grown up on five acres as long as I can remember, and I'm used to wide-open spaces, hundreds of trees, grass, plants galore, red dirt, and having a place to play and run around.
  • I've been a straight-A student as long as I've been receiving letter grades, and I sometimes wish I weren't.
Three specific physical descriptions (the particular shape of your front teeth, the color of your palms, the curve of your spine):
  • My eyelids are smooth and hooded.
  • My hair is black-brown, but it gets almost red streaks from the sun. It's as coarse as a bristle brush.
  • I have faint scars on my right leg from ankle to knee from four separate incidents. The first was years ago, when I tripped on a wooden post as soon as I got out of the truck when I as camping. The second, third, and fourth all happened last year: running across the school parking lost in Birkenstocks, tearing that open in flag football in PE on turf, and not quite clearing a hurdle in track.
Three flaws: Where to begin?
  • Talking too much and not listening enough.
  • Making excuses and arguing with my mom. (But we're also really close.)
  • Judging people (Unfortunately, I do this all the time. Just in my head. Which doesn't exactly make it better, but I don't say, "Gee, look how ugly her shoes are." I just think, Wow, those are interesting shoes. You couldn't pay me enough to wear those. It's not always bad stuff, though.)
Three favorites:
  • Standalone books: Hope and Other Punch Lines, Lovely War, All the Light We Cannot See, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Read them! Look them up! Hope is the most YA one, followed by Lovely, while the others transcend age and style. Especially All the Light. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 2015.)
  • Interior design style: rustic modern, farmhouse modern (think dark, distressed wood, driftwood, shiplap, neat lines, purposefully worn decor; think galvanized metal, white distressed picture frames, light and airy, butcher block counters, whimsical and cozy)
  • Avocados!!!
Three pet peeves:
  • People who are misinformed or only repeating what their parents or the media says. (I'm guilty of it too!)
  • Improper grammar. I'm certainly guilty of it here, but I also have an entire folder of grammar articles under my "Book Research" bookmark folder, so... I guess I'm a grammar Nazi. (Yes, I know ellipses and em dashes are overused.)
  • People who post stuff for the sole purpose of hating on other people, without even a shred of evidence, logic, or reason. Disagreeing politely is one thing, disagreeing with a passionate opinion is another thing, and disagreeing with some criticism is another thing. But posts and comments for the sake of inflaming others and being angry just doesn't help. (Both "sides" do it.)
Three instincts that serve you well:
  • My instinct for smelling food. haha
  • My instinct for knowing when to sprint in a mid/long distance race (speed up around the turn and sprint the last 50-60 meters; I always get that last kick of energy in a race).
  • My instinct for understanding how to talk to adults (I guess? I've been trying to think of a social instinct, and I'm not sure I have one. I mean, I have fairly good social skills, and I can carry a conversation, even if it has several awkward pauses. But no instincts, per se.)
Three sources of comfort:
  • Familiar books, like Harry Potter
  • Being with my closest family, camping
  • Cozied up with dessert and my parents, watching our family TV show together
Well, I felt like answering every question on this prompt. So here we are, over a thousand words and an hour later. I honestly can't think of a lot more about me, but it will all inevitably come to mind in a few hours. After I've posted this. If you wanna know anything else about me that's not my social security number, ask in the comments! Also, feel free to answer the random question up there: What is your favorite season(s) and why?
Mine is summer, followed by fall. Or maybe spring. I was definitely saying spring several months ago. I love dry, hot weather and no school and freedom, but spring is so cheerful with all the new greenery and flowers. And fall is just the most aesthetic of them all, what with cozy fireside chats and lattes and tea (even though I don't drink tea) and cardigans and sweaters and rust colors and mustard yellow and beanies and autumn colors and dresses with boots and mom jeans and crisp air and baking and apples and pumpkins. Can you tell I'm a sucker for aesthetics?

• Tushar Mandhan

First of all, thanks a tonne for showing concern. It really means a lottttt. Yes I was feeling very down and thought of stop writing forever but u see, i'm back. I'm good now and having a burst of creativity to write.
    Taylor!!!!!! Ah so i was wrong, william is joe.......haha she said in long pond studio documentary. And i can't stop thinking how cute it is. 'no body, no crime' is pretty interesting. i've been binge listening to her evermore since it was released. because of time zone diff. when the album was released it was 10 am here, so i had enough time to listen to the entire album in an hour!!! sorry for late reply.....how r you doing? what is ur fav. song from the album?
    Ps- ur pfp and my message to readers for latest poem is same. 'I come back stronger than a 90s trend' which is true for me as it is sorta my comeback poem. lol

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

Love this!!! It’s great to know more about you!!! I love winter the best then autumn.

also..
    uh..maybe don't use the term "grammar nazi".

I love this!! Um please take me to your five acres, but be prepared for me never leaving XD. My favorite season is spring, because it's so fresh and soft and delicate and has the best weather imo.

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

omg ur 5 foot 5
    i wishhhhh i was 5 foot 5
    i'm 5 foot 3

also..
    (look below, mate)

wow, so great to get to know you a bit better! i think i'll try the prompt soon... i already know this, but from this piece you seem like such a fun and interesting person! i also do cross country and have been on my school's team for 3 years now. we actually did a couple practices this year in a huge field with masks and it was fun. i have a love hate relationship with running, though... hehe. well thanks for the book suggestions, too! and fall is hands down my fav season! so romantic lol. but like also just the right temp and perfect for my fav clothes XD. okay, well you know i value our online friendship and your writing is amazing and you are a brilliant person.... but i'm going to have to call you out on something...
    "so... I guess I'm a grammar Nazi."
    as a jewish person, this made me hurt inside a little. i get that this was totally not your intention and that you were trying to make a joke or bring some humor in but it is not okay to use the whole holocaust and nazi's murdering minority groups situation and use it in the case of a joke or under exaggerate it. it was a scary time and 6 million jews were murdered, not to mention gypsies and people who were lgbtq+. it also just was a terrible war and people all over Germany and Europe and the world suffered. i'm assuming this was not your intention and obviously, i will forgive you, but i felt like it was my duty to call you out. it's not outright antisemitsim, but somehow it felt like that to me. just my perspective.
    anyway, sorry for this terribly long comment! hope your day is going well and you really helped me earlier when i ranted to you about my family lol. okay, have a great rest of your day!
    <3<3<3

I loove fall so much. hoodie weather :)
    It's so nice to hear more about you!!

re: ahh wait nvm! I found one haha the quote still applies but i changed my pfp ;)
    also sorry for spamming your comment section!

re: also apparently i dont have any pictures of us together. which is weird bc we do a lot with them. i guess it is like that quote from The Village (of all movies this is a weird one to get a really meaningful love quote)
    "Sometimes we don't do things we want to do so that others won't know we want to do them"
    XD look at me...connecting thriller movie quotes to my love life XD

oh wow that was so stinkin long XD

ooh! LOVE getting to know you more--i share the same belief #1 <3
    re: hmm thats a hard one. I would say the popular but not super popular. its hard to explain. i don't go to school with him so not super sure. but he comes from a super fun and well-known (for lack of a better word--i need an acronym for that lol) family that everyone loves. his whole family is sweet. his mom is my small group leader and like a second mom to me. she calls me her adoptive daughter cause she has five boys and no girls. a lot of other girls like LP tho cause he is pretty cute and funny--i also have to compete with the five year old girls we work with in sunday school. LP doesnt like a whole lot of movies so not a geek (im the geek lol) or english. he likes math. so we both kind of balance each other out in a way. but he does know a TON on cars, like most 16 year old boys *rolls eyes yet still blushes* last night after youth group (before he taught me gibberish, we were talking about cars (which i know nothing on) but it was so fun to see him talk about something he likes haha
    i do know what you mean about being between the two groups. i am the geek but also kind of popular ig? my goal at school is to make newcomers feel welcome so i am always skipping around and being the friend. in result tho i dont have that "best friend." i have a lot of really great friends which is better but can be hard sometimes. i try my best to break the cliques and include everyone so i am def in between XD

• wavewriter

Love this! Athletic nerds unite!