anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

I don't know what I'm looking for with this piece. Anything, I guess, besides hatred. Thanks y'all!

Overwriting Again: Me in Threes

PROMPT: YOU in threes

5
Three quirks or idiosyncrasies:
  • I tug on my earlobes when I want something to do with my hands, which may be related to "Tugging my ear. Whenever" from The Selection by Kiera Cass. I'm not sure.
  • If you hear me singing in the shower, there's a 90% chance it's a Taylor Swift song.
  • I run an analysis on at least half the people I see and all the people I meet. From clothes, to looks, to expressions, to posture, to speech and how they interact with others (if possible). It's *mostly* objective. I notice cute clothes and cute guys frequently, but I forget a good percentage of them in days.
Three communities to which you belong (these can be unusual):
  • The community of athletic nerds, whoever you are! (Volleyball and long-distance running in track are my two sports, but I've played softball, soccer, cross-country, and basketball. VB is my all-time favorite sport, and it's been a rough journey to get where I am now. This is my 7th year playing.)
  • Teen girls who love Jesus but sometimes are scared to unabashedly follow Him 
  • Short volleyball players (who's with me? under 5'5"?)   
Three adjectives your peers would use to describe you:
  • Talkative
  • The smart one
  • "Isn't she the really short one?"
Three adjectives your family would use:
  • Good-natured
  • Easygoing
  • Helpful
Three adjectives you would use:
  • Complex
  • Cheerful
  • Talkative
Three things about you that very few people know.
  • I think mercy and forgiveness is an important concept that we have not accepted. Justice is absolutely essential, but sometimes, it's time to let go of the past, extend mercy and forgiveness, and move forward without constantly worrying about being offended or offending another.
  • I have a tail feather of a rooster on my dresser in a jar with all of my other feathers. It's iridescent green and curved. I also have several other chicken feathers, all of which I found at a zoo on the floor of the barnyard section.
  • The only R-rated movie I've seen is The Passion of the Christ. An important film, but quite disturbing. Of course, so is what happened during that time.
Three beliefs you hold:
  • I believe that Jesus Christ was crucified as the ultimate sacrifice—the final Passover lamb—in order to save me and every single person to ever exist from their sins, that they may have eternal life in heaven with Him. 
  • I believe that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is false. Words have insurmountable power.
  • I believe that we feel best when we're with people who make us feel whole and make us laugh, in the outdoors, in the sunshine, without screens or distractions of media. (And maybe with some chips, salsa, and homemade guac... or homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, which I made yesterday... or homemade scones—blueberry or cranberry orange—or homemade salted caramel sauce right out of the jar... or beef ribs in BBQ sauce... or carne asada tacos... or—you know, I'm gonna stop.)
Three questions you have:
  • What's your favorite season(s) and why? (@anyone who feels like answering in the comments)
  • How can we turn the tide on complacency and laziness and bring the world back to the principles of hard work, perseverance, and a healthy sense of pride in accomplishments? (I don't mean pride as in boastful or thinking you're above others; I mean the kind of pride that doesn't always accept free handouts, excuses, and does what needs to be done)
  • How can we, as a society, realize that we are not entitled to anything in this world and stop looking for excuses to make life easier for ourselves?'
Three qualities that make your life singular and/or unusual:
  • I'm an only child.
  • I've grown up on five acres as long as I can remember, and I'm used to wide-open spaces, hundreds of trees, grass, plants galore, red dirt, and having a place to play and run around.
  • I've been a straight-A student as long as I've been receiving letter grades, and I sometimes wish I weren't.
Three specific physical descriptions (the particular shape of your front teeth, the color of your palms, the curve of your spine):
  • My eyelids are smooth and hooded.
  • My hair is black-brown, but it gets almost red streaks from the sun. It's as coarse as a bristle brush.
  • I have faint scars on my right leg from ankle to knee from four separate incidents. The first was years ago, when I tripped on a wooden post as soon as I got out of the truck when I as camping. The second, third, and fourth all happened last year: running across the school parking lost in Birkenstocks, tearing that open in flag football in PE on turf, and not quite clearing a hurdle in track.
Three flaws: Where to begin?
  • Talking too much and not listening enough.
  • Making excuses and arguing with my mom. (But we're also really close.)
  • Judging people (Unfortunately, I do this all the time. Just in my head. Which doesn't exactly make it better, but I don't say, "Gee, look how ugly her shoes are." I just think, Wow, those are interesting shoes. You couldn't pay me enough to wear those. It's not always bad stuff, though.)
Three favorites:
  • Standalone books: Hope and Other Punch Lines, Lovely War, All the Light We Cannot See, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Read them! Look them up! Hope is the most YA one, followed by Lovely, while the others transcend age and style. Especially All the Light. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 2015.)
  • Interior design style: rustic modern, farmhouse modern (think dark, distressed wood, driftwood, shiplap, neat lines, purposefully worn decor; think galvanized metal, white distressed picture frames, light and airy, butcher block counters, whimsical and cozy)
  • Avocados!!!
Three pet peeves:
  • People who are misinformed or only repeating what their parents or the media says. (I'm guilty of it too!)
  • Improper grammar. I'm certainly guilty of it here, but I also have an entire folder of grammar articles under my "Book Research" bookmark folder, so... I guess I'm a grammar Nazi. (Yes, I know ellipses and em dashes are overused.)
  • People who post stuff for the sole purpose of hating on other people, without even a shred of evidence, logic, or reason. Disagreeing politely is one thing, disagreeing with a passionate opinion is another thing, and disagreeing with some criticism is another thing. But posts and comments for the sake of inflaming others and being angry just doesn't help. (Both "sides" do it.)
Three instincts that serve you well:
  • My instinct for smelling food. haha
  • My instinct for knowing when to sprint in a mid/long distance race (speed up around the turn and sprint the last 50-60 meters; I always get that last kick of energy in a race).
  • My instinct for understanding how to talk to adults (I guess? I've been trying to think of a social instinct, and I'm not sure I have one. I mean, I have fairly good social skills, and I can carry a conversation, even if it has several awkward pauses. But no instincts, per se.)
Three sources of comfort:
  • Familiar books, like Harry Potter
  • Being with my closest family, camping
  • Cozied up with dessert and my parents, watching our family TV show together
Another pet peeve of mine is not knowing how to fix certain formatting, like this bullet point at the bottom that WON'T. GO. AWAY. I tried.
  •  
Well, I felt like answering every question on this prompt. So here we are, over a thousand words and an hour later. I honestly can't think of a lot more about me, but it will all inevitably come to mind in a few hours. After I've posted this. If you wanna know anything else about me that's not my social security number, ask in the comments! Also, feel free to answer the random question up there: What is your favorite season(s) and why?
Mine is summer, followed by fall. Or maybe spring. I was definitely saying spring several months ago. I love dry, hot weather and no school and freedom, but spring is so cheerful with all the new greenery and flowers. And fall is just the most aesthetic of them all, what with cozy fireside chats and lattes and tea (even though I don't drink tea) and cardigans and sweaters and rust colors and mustard yellow and beanies and autumn colors and dresses with boots and mom jeans and crisp air and baking and apples and pumpkins. Can you tell I'm a sucker for aesthetics?

Firstly, this is such a nice introduction! Secondly, I love Autumn and Winter. It's really not that cold in India, plus I like the chill. Spring is nice too, but summers here are just way too hot.

Replying: You deserved the shoutout. Also, with HP ships, I do agree with you, but I sorta don't. I think Luna and Neville would also be amazing, but I'm completely fine with them not ending up together for two reasons:

1) It shows that not everyone ends up with their high school sweetheart. I mean, James/Lily, Arthur/Molly, Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, even Sirius and Marlene (Though that's up for speculation) were all dating in high school. It wouldn't be very realistic if everyone ended up with their high school romances.

2) Neville and Luna are amazing as just friends. I like their relationship, even if it's strictly platonic.

Then again, them ending up together would have been amazing.

Regarding other ships, I usually ship canon couples. Remus/Tonks is my favourite, and James/Lily comes in close after. A few non-canon couples I tend to ship are: Luna/Neville, Hermione/Cedirc (Hermione/Ron is amazing. It was actually Ghougirl2020's series that got me into this ship).

I could go on, but I'll stop now.

Hey, so I saw that you were wondering what WTW was like before The Great Migration. Before that happened, we could start challenges or competitions (with reviews as prizes), ask for writing advice, make pieces that help out new writers, notify people about a mental health break, and write a piece appreciating their followers. Now, we can't do any of that. The @dmins think that those things turned this place into a social media platform. Spoiler alert, they didn't. I still don't know why they didn't just modify the platform so they could control the social part of the site instead of murdering it. I've gotten used to the change, but I still miss the old days and the amazing people who left.

• beth r.

re: hey! so honestly i didn't join yet.from what i hear, there was just more writers, and social posts

• katnissromanoff

I also run an analysis on the majority of people I meet too! My favorite season... I always say fall, but then when fall actually comes, I hate the cold weather. Then I say summer, but when summer comes, I get annoyed by the heat. If I had to choose between the two though, I would say fall because I love Halloween and anything pumpkin. :)

• A blind (young) man

Also Jonathan Safran!! I just read All the Light the other month and it still makes me sad when I think about it.

• A blind (young) man

What you said about being with people who make us feel whole, that touched me. Thanks!
    My favorite season was Summer (Till this Summer, too hot!) Loving Fall now, really looking forward to winter.
    We can turn the tide, I imagine, through example and teaching. A lot of that stems from upbringing, and bad parents make bad parents.
    Listen to our elders I guess?