anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

This piece is a work in progress, so all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I Am No One's Hero (Part I)

1
Dark window and fading light
He steps outside; his bones creak in time with the porch
Sun waits and sun sets
Chill already sweeps the air.
In Arizona, he thinks
It was never this cold—still summer!
He wrenches his heart and thoughts out of 1945
Out of a past that shone until—was it 1950? Yes. Summer.
“I made my choice,” aloud, he says
To the dying horizon and his dying husk of a body
He hates, hates it
Pardons, forgiveness, guilt, bullets, young, inexcusable, duty, loyalty, honor, patriot, hero
“I am no one’s hero.”
One week is all it takes. In two more he will have seen ninety years on this planet.
A call from his far-away nosy neighbor, but she’s hardly a friend
“Why don’t you have some family over for your birthday?”
You’re lonely, she means. Why are you all alone?
She is exactly right. But alone is what he deserved. Deserves.

This idea partially stemmed from M*A*S*H, my favorite TV show ever that deals with the Korean War. This was also inspired by an episode of All in the Family, in which one of Mike's friends (Mike is a main character) is invited to Christmas dinner. However, he reveals that he moved to Canada to escape the Vietnam draft. This causes a conundrum, because one of the other guests at dinner lost his son in Vietnam. It was definitely an episode that left me thinking. Although there were not nearly as many draft dodgers in Korea, I thought it would be interesting to explore this idea. The Korean War was less recent, and therefore, I hoped this would be a little more distant and historical in its approach. I'm not condoning nor condemning draft dodging; just some ideas.

• Tula.S

This piece is incredible! I love how you use a simple scene to say so much! You describe the surroundings, the sounds, and even include some dialogue and inner monologue. You packed up so much in a short poem and it doesn't even feel forced! I also love the idea you're going on. Beautiful work!

• amazing grace

Just a heads up, I would take down the email address because write the world doesn't really allow personal stuff like that.