Wisp

hold me and tell me everything will be alright

Profile Picture by zipcy on Instagram

est. 26.9.19

1. 16. 21

Clipped Wings

27
    Angelic.
    That was the first thing I thought of when I saw you. You were painting a mural on the school wall; wearing paint-splattered overalls and your hair was in a messy bun that was halfway down already. You waved your painbrush around like a wand, humming to yourself as you danced around to a silent melody. Your eyes were smiling, and your fingers were stained in pinks and blues.
    You were so pretty.
    Every now and then, my eyes would travel to you in the hallways. You with your too big glasses that always slipped. You with your ink-doodled hands. You with a smear of paint on your cheek, a different color each day. You with your smile that lit up half your face until your eyes were squeezed into thin slits.
    I think I fell in love with you.
    You worked on your mural for a whole month. I walked the long way to my car everyday, just to catch a glimpse at you painting. You painted with everything in you. You painted as if your life depended on it. You painted like it was the last thing you would ever do. I watched you everyday and you never noticed, you never saw me, and perhaps that was why you seemed like an angel. Simply because I never saw who you really were, I saw you for who I wanted you to be. I put up a mirage of you and I never bothered to know the real you.
    You were like your mural. Beautiful, vibrant, lovely. Just something for people to admire.
    One day, I passed by your mural and you weren’t there. And, it’s funny to say but it was that moment that I finally realized what you were painting. You painted an angel reaching up to the heavens above, while being dragged down by human hands. It was a piece of art, your mural. The angel’s face was solemn, but not sad. They were reaching in hopes for help. They were being pulled down by selfish hands. They were suffering for their own selflessness.
    I never saw you again after your mural was completed.
    You know, I should’ve talked to you. Just once for all those days I passed by. I guess I just thought that I would have more time. No one expects it to happen, and I expected least of all that it would happen to you. You were so vibrant, so delightful, so full of joy. Or rather, that was the mirage of you that I chose to see. Maybe if I had looked closely, I would’ve seen you tearing along the seams. Maybe if I had chosen to see the real you, I would’ve realized how much that beauty was close to falling apart. Maybe I could’ve helped you.
    I should’ve said hello.
    Classmates of ours, friends of yours, and your family were all gathered at your funeral. We weren’t even close, so I didn’t feel like I should go. Instead, I went to your mural. By then, some of the paint had faded a little, not as bright as the first day I had seen it. I sat in front of your mural for the rest of the day, skipping all my classes. I didn’t even leave when the sky turned into a blanket of stars, or when the campus lights started flickering on. I stayed in the cold, looking at your mural, as I had looked at you for a whole month. I think I know why you painted it. The angel was you, wasn’t it? You were reaching for someone who could be your friend, someone who could know you for who you truly were. But people had taken advantage of your kindness, dragging you down with their greed. They had gotten a taste of what it meant to be loved, and now they were poisoned from it, hungry for more. They took everything from you, your smile, your laugh, your kindness. You just wanted to be loved.
    You were an angel.
    I wonder, was I just another person dragging you or was I someone who you were reaching for?
    Angelic.
Haven't posted here in a while. Had some major writer's block, but I'm here now! Kinda. 

• JustAnotherDarling

hauntingly beautiful. perfectly angelic. absolutely marvelous. I love this <3

• crystalline•galaxies

ah! your comment was, as ever, so lovely. i kind of posted that piece before i had time to really think it through, so i’m going to unpublish it and maybe revise it a little bit, but i was thrilled that some people liked it anyways :)

• NaiadIna

Re: thank you for your kind words on my piece. You seem like a very attentive reader. Having been on WTW for just over a month, I can certainly say it's been wonderful interacting with the community here.

• Anlee

re: thanks for the touching comment :) your compliments really make me feel a lot more confident in my writing
    also i swear i was one of your followers, but it seems like im not. that's going to change right now because i definitely don't want to miss out when you post your gorgeous pieces

• crystalline•galaxies

re: aahhh you're too sweet. <3

• crystalline•galaxies

re: that was... the most poetic comment i've ever received?? thank you so much! wow! i'm so glad i could evoke that imagery with my writing. i'm honestly so flattered.

• Erissa Jack

this evokes a bittersweet feeling, amazing. I even had goosebumps man.

the sentiment in this is stunning. wow. stellar write, dear!!

• Mpm#1

I know this feeling... It wakes me up at night sometimes. This is wonderful. <3

Re: Aw, thanks so much for your comment! It means a lot. :) Don't worry about the heart thing though; we're pretty much just confirming a diagnosis.
    Oh cool! You're welcome. <3

This is so wonderful. I really really love it. It actually reminds me a lot of something Jun Lei (I think that's who it was) wrote and then deleted. But this is more expanded, and it's awesome.

Exactly what Paisley Blue said. And poignant. And heart wrenching.

brilliant. simply brilliant.

• crystalline•galaxies

howwwww are you so sweet? your comments are always so detailed and then i look at mine and... well... they look lame lol. i can't quote specifically one part of this piece i adored, as i loved it all with my whole heart, but the thing that really stood out to me was your formatting. it's such a cool way of telling the story and the italics really keep it moving along. also your descriptions are just immaculate. so detailed and beautiful. but i mainly wanted to thank you for your comments. they mean the world to me and i really can't express how excited i get when i see you've said something. thanks for that!

• mooncake

This is such a touching and affecting piece of work. Extremely captivating. I had to read through this quite a few times to fully understand the meaning behind the words, and each read was more moving than the last. Like crystalline galaxies, I'm definitely coming back to this and rereading. Thank you for sharing this. <3

• crystalline•galaxies

this is so bittersweet and so beautifully written. the imagery and descriptions are just to die for. i'm definitely going to have to come back and reread this piece a couple more times.