Treblemaker

I write because the music of language spoke to me in books and I wanted to make a beautiful noise to answer back -- Lee Martin

What are your initial thoughts, and how can I improve the quality of my speech in terms of delivering my ideas in a fascinating and empowering way?

An Ode to the Squirrel, and the Issue of Climate Change

uI don't like squirrels.
They look like gerbils who hop like bunny rabbits. They are everywhere yet seemingly untamable. They flinch more than me in a thunder storm and believe you me I leap at the crack of thunder.
I suppose, these are measly points, just to cover up my true reason surrounding my hate for squirrels. The fact of the matter is I am humbled by these small skittish rodents. 
They have more faith in this earth than I do.

We see our world is starting to crumble right under our feet. The fires in California were not caused by a stupid mistake. The fires were a result from a gigantic problem, mistaken as a random natural phenomenon. 
Its not normal to have 8,200 fires in one year. 
In this one year there have been more tornadoes. The amount of dust from those whirlwinds decimate the area and the amount of structures that have collapsed costs hundreds of people their homes, and billions of money to repair. 
Its not normal to have 1,350 tornadoes in one year. 
And on the East coast we have hurricanes. This year there are ‚Äč25 named storms and six major hurricanes, more than double the 1981-2010 historical averages. The names of these storms have stuck because those syllables hold so much meaning. Sandy, Maria, Harvey and countless others. Billions of dollars spent or repairs, hundreds lost their lives, thousands lost their homes. 
Its not normal to to have 6 massive hurricanes in on year. 
The more research I did on this topic, the more discouraged I became. And if I could ever speak to mother nature, the atmosphere, earth or however you communicate to our biosphere I'd have one thing to say it it: Its not you, its me. 
its not you it is me. Aside for the fact that it sounds like your standard break up- its true. We made a mistake, countless mistakes, because we, as a human species, as proud as we are, do not know everything. In fact we're sometimes really stupid. And thats ok because we are only human and there are things that we don't understand, but this said it is time we start trying. 
because its not it its us. 
Fires, floods, smog, pollution, freezing temperatures and melting icebergs. Thats on us.
We unknowingly started a timer as soon as the industrial revolution started. we started releasing massive amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmospheras part of our creations. Moving cars and electricity and trains. We could go places we've never been before. We could see things we've never seen before. We could live in luxury with heat and fishing and oil and gas powering everything. We felt empowered. 
And then that timer went off.
It started to ring that emission levels were too high and ocean levels were too high and CO2 was too high but  we, were too high to notice. 
High off of our own genius that we didn't see the harm it did to every living organism. We were flying with the knowledge that we created a better life style.
better? sure. Sustainable? Not at all. 
Living is better when we are comfortable. If we acknowledged how uncomfortable everything around us was, we in turn will become uncomfortable as well. something we are not used to. 
Because then we'd have to face this simple fact that the way the world is, is because we build it that way. Unsustainable, unpredictable and uncomfortable. 
its not you, its me. 
But what can we do about it. 
And this brings me full circle as to why I hate squirrels.
They have more faith in this world than I do.
Everyday these rodents skitter around and find acorns that fell from scares trees. They take those flimsy seeds and plant them in the dearth of dirt. They take their little paws each day and sniff out the best dry patch of sidewalk undergrowth and pat the tiny oak seen into the ground and cover it up. 
They always forget where they burred them.
These tiny seeds with brown berets are given a small chance at life. And I never believed they actually  blossomed until I saw a sapling about a foot high, bright green and floppy, on the sidewalk outside my house. And I thought of the squirrel that put it there. How his minuscule paws became the creator of an oak true, twenty feet high that it could later run and climb on. 
I hate squirrels because they didn't give up, like I once did. They used their tiny paws to create a sustainable living environment, an entire apartment if you think about it. Without complain, without fail. They still believed in the power of nature. 
Through renewable energies, agriculture, technology, management, we can do it too. 
Dear humans it is time we face the truly uncomfortable and pressing issue at hand. It is time we take responsibility for our ignorant actions because there is still time to reverse the damage we didn't know we were making. With a hand, tool, voice or donation I don't care, but to sit on your haunches and pretend to be comfortable is like eating food that expired three years ago. Its old and dangerous and sickening.
Its time you do your part. Because its not the fault of nature for reacting this way. Climate change is the result of what we made happen.
To think my not giving up on this prominent issue of climate change came from a squirrel is strange, but the seed of passion and sheer will power to change our way of living has taken root inside of me. And if you are at all uncomfortable in hearing any part of this speech, I know, it has taken root inside of you as well. Its time we right a global wrong. one acorn at a time. 

• Huba Huba

I love this speech! It's structured well, and I'd love to see you perform it.