Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Final draft!!

Camouflage, Cover, Conceal: The Makeup Trap (link in footnotes)

I want all of you to look at me. Examine my features for just a moment. What do you see? Be as critical as you want to be. Maybe you see my acne, red spots that flare up when I get stressed or don’t get enough sleep. You could be noticing that I look preeetty tired.
    Or maybe you looked at me through a different lens. You might have thought, I wish my skin was a fair as hers, or Why can’t my eyebrows have such a nice arch? If you’re like the majority of people, one of the first things you see in others is what you don’t have. Society constantly plants seeds of jealousy into the hearts of women and girls, warping their minds to want to be like others. Whether it’s the thickness of their hair or the straightness of their teeth, it’s easy to be envious of other peoples’ looks.
    For a lot of people, especially females, the solution to their insecurities is makeup. While some use it as a creative outlet, others use it to hide the things that they wish would go away.
    41 percent of Americans between the ages of 30 and 59 wear makeup every day, says a study from statistica.com. Another article states that “Fifty-six percent of women say they are dissatisfied with their overall appearance.” Think of how many more people are affected that aren’t even mentioned in these studies. I’m sure you know a few. There are exceptions to every rule, but these statistics, along with my personal experience, could suggest that a large percentage of women are insecure in some way, and many of them use makeup as a way to “paint over” those self-doubts.
    I am not excluded from the effects of society’s ideas of what makes the “ideal woman”. About two years ago, I started wearing makeup at church. Nothing drastic, just some foundation, blush, eyeliner, and eyeshadow. I liked experimenting and learning about this little art form. However, after a couple of months, I began to crave the feeling of looking flawless. Each stroke of eyeliner and blush went towards hiding any evidence that life had an effect on my appearance. The compliments I once simply enjoyed, I started to think I needed. I tried different eyeshadow colors, more lipstick, and anything I could manage to receive the validation that I was beautiful. Like many who’ve fallen into “the makeup trap”, I was caught in a cycle of anxiety and shame.
    Suddenly, I got sick. The details are a story for another time, but the fact of the matter was that I no longer had the extra energy to apply makeup in the morning. Bare-faced and insecure, I dragged myself to church. What I noticed was that nobody treated me any differently. I began to treasure comments about my laugh or my kindness that I had previously dismissed. And I realized that those were the things that mattered, the things that made me truly beautiful. The internet says it best, “Beauty isn’t about having a pretty face. It is about having a pretty mind, a pretty heart, and most importantly a beautiful soul.” How many of your beauties are you discarding in favor of things on the surface?
    Don’t get me wrong, makeup is wonderful. When I see someone who’s clearly spent a lot of time perfecting their lovely eyeshadow or contour, I’m proud of them. But it should be used as a celebration, not a cure-all or crutch. Create, don’t coat. Ellen Degeneres, once said, “Beauty is about being comfortable in your own skin. It's about knowing and accepting who you are.”
    I’m not saying all this to make myself seem wise or perfect. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. I’ve just begun the journey to embracing my flaws. Those flaws are proof that I am human, proof that I have really lived. I refuse to use makeup to do anything but enhance my lovely, imperfect, features. And keep in mind that everyone has their struggles, and those struggles don’t mean you’re defective. I still have days when I want to hide my face away. The difference is that I now know my true identity. Are you ready to unveil yours?
707 words

Performance | https://youtu.be/N2smZoctceA

Sources

Frequency of makeup use among U.S. consumers 2017, by age
https://www.statista.com/statistics/713178/makeup-use-frequency-by-age/

Body Image in America: Survey Results
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/199702/body-image-in-america-survey-result

• Kit-Kat Sully {Child of God}

Here's a massage from Savanna: I am so, so grateful that you came to my defense. I feel weird having to hear everything from Katherine, but I’m thankful for that. I’m also really, really sad. My immediate thought was: “But Anne.” And Eden and... all of you. I am trying hard to get my account back, and have emailed WtW explaining everything. If this isn’t petty, I would ask you to pray. I need it. I cried today and I have tears in my eyes right now. But I’m not backing down. I love you <3.

• ~madeline~

Hey Anne! I've been in contact with Savanna, and I just wanted to let you know that she says she is so grateful for the support from you and everybody. Currently, we believe that she has been suspended due to miscommunication and misunderstanding about a piece she posted a while ago. She IS trying to get her account back and trying to clear up the misunderstanding.
    All the best :)
    -Madeline

I just looked at the video on this... WOW!! I wish you the best of luck!! :)
    Re- Aww So sweet of you! I will be sure to do so!

Re: We can agree to disagree... :D

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Heyo! How are you? I wanted to check in. I hope you’re doing well.

re: thank you so so so much for all of the support, you have no idea how much it means to me. i'm taking down my piece "no" because i don't want to hurt her feelings, but i really do appreciate your comments <333 thank you so much.

Re: Ah yes *sappily dances to sappy music*

• lochnessie

re: hiii
    i was only gone for just a hot potato second, but i'm BACK and ready to like everybody's pieces ever! and send ella lamingtons!

Re: Aww, I love your comments! Yes, I think a lot of people want to be loved. You did not offend me about your comments on god. I'm actually Jewish and I'm currently trying to find my relationship with god. Right now I believe god is everywhere and somewhere at the same time, if that makes sense. ANyway... I do pray sometimes, too, but not in the way you would think. <3

• Kit-Kat Sully {Child of God}

Me either. It's so sad. But at least I know her in person, but for her friends here...I think I'm gonna cry :(

• Kit-Kat Sully {Child of God}

Replying: Savanna got permanently suspended. :( She no longer has access to this site.

• Kit-Kat Sully {Child of God}

Hey, Anne, can you lmk what you commented on the piece I wrote about Savanna? I'm pretty sure it got censored, also I kinda feel like I might be permanently suspended. This is really stressful.

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

Oopsie, in my earlier comment i meant do write that I was respectful in my piece, not that i wasn't! Me and my typos xD

• pyrrhic

re: thank you for your kind words! it means a lot! also, no, i don't think i could focus even if i was trying :)

as for your piece... wow!! amazing, seriously. i feel like this is something that just isn't talked about enough. thank you for bringing attention to it.

• birthdaycandles

Replying: Awwh Anne you are the sweetest! My sister and I were literally talking about how genuine a person you are earlier and honestly you're comments are always like little rays of sunshine in my notifications box! Agreeing with @happygiggles below your writing is phenomenal and I'm routing for your speech in this competition! I will always remember your kindness to me <3 Also I'm joining in on that hashtag! #iknewannebeforeshewasfamous !!

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

replying- I love you too Anne. I am so lucky to have found a friend like you! You're writing never fails to amaze me, #iknewannebeforeshewasfamous xD

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

replying- Anne, thank you so much for informing me of this, I have realized what has happened to Savanna. I appreciate your concern greatly, but I thought all of the possible outcomes through before posting my speech. I have come to terms with the fact that some people just do not care about listening, which saddens me. I have been regularly checking my email and I have not yet received anything. With a heavy heart, I have began saving all of my writing on this site to my laptop, and I have decided that if I am asked to take my piece down, I will be leaving. When I joined this community, I was under the impression that it was an accepting site, a site where you are allowed to share all opinions, including religious ones. If this site is somewhere in which I can not do that, I will be leaving without question and sending a rather strongly-worded farewell email to the Write The World team. However, I will of course still be respectful, likewise I was in my piece. I did not respect anybody, but if they ask me to take it down, they are not respecting me and I have taken that for too long now, I will not be shamed into taking down a piece about being Pro-Life. If that offends the @dmin, I have nothing to do with it, a teacher once told my class "if you have a problem with someone, the problem is with you and not them." Therefore, if they have a problem with me or my piece, they can sort it out themselves. If they feel that my piece should be taken down or my account, I will not be speaking of this site ever again. If I am to leave, I will dearly miss the friendships and bonds that I have made on this site, especially you Anne! However, I will not miss not being able to express my true opinion without having biased people attack me for it. Again, thank you so much for looking out for me Anne, it means a lot to me! <3

ALSO how have i not liked this speech?! this is so GOOD!!! :))) Best of luck in the comp <3333

re: awww haha thank you so much!! It really means a lot to me that you like my writing :) I hope you're having a wonderful day <33

• Turkeycracker K (a.ka. Firecracker)

This is so amazing!

• Turkeycracker K (a.ka. Firecracker)

Reply to your comment on Kit-Kat's post: I know right?

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: thank you!!! :)

Wow Anne! Beautiful! Thank you for being so honest <3 I'm so sorry you were sick! I pray you are better now <333

• tas (yellowbrickrd)

This is very compelling! So glad you chose this topic and did it justice. Good luck!

• (sk)eyesofocher

Re: Awwwww that’s really pretty! Such an amazing meaning as well:) Aewen, Mae Govannen!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: aw, of course!! You are amazing and a great friend!! <3

• (sk)eyesofocher

Re: ahhh yess coffee shops are amazing haha

• (sk)eyesofocher

Re: Well, I think it’s the Tolkien-verse in general, since it’s kind of my go to escape place, and kinda like a second home. She takes it as a bit obsessed, and I get that. And Lolol I did tons of research and looked up names and one Saturday I just chose one for myself. And so, Aelindor the half hobbit became (I’m like nearly fourteen and 5’1)

• (sk)eyesofocher

Re: yeahhhhh my mom doesn’t really like that I use it but sometimes I do it just for fun. I say it a ton on here, if you haven’t noticed: the one place I can XD I even have an Elvish name, though I rarely use it—Aelindor.

• (sk)eyesofocher

ANNE YOU WERE AMAZING AHHHH I BET YOU HAVE A HUGE CHANGE OF WINNING JUST FROM THE LIPSTICK HEART! all the best, Mellon!

Oh cool! Mine is the 20th of July :)

• (sk)eyesofocher

ok imma go watch your speech but im sure it's stellar:)

Re: Thanks! I hope you get to visit her one day! Haha I should change it to dominoes :) (wait when is your birthday? lol random question)

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

replying- Thank you, that meant so much to me Anne. It really did. May God bless you!! <3

• Rachaelgrace

This is just so so good! I read every word and enjoyed it and agreed!

• beth r.

this is great! good luck!!

• doodleninja

this speech is still just STELLAR! I watched your performance, and you did an amazing delivery! Your tone is perfect and you use inflections so well! (also when you drew that heart on your face at the end, I was just...YES. I LOVED THAT)
    Best of wishes in the comp! (And thx so much for all the support with my own speech! <3)

• Rose A(hiatus)

This speech is absolutely amazing. And the fact that you did research for it too, wow. You have an incredible talent for writing. I hope this inspired everyone who read it!

i needed this reminder,and so do so many other girls and boys.well done anne,i'm so proud of you.goodluck!!!

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

Good luck to you to Anne! Me and my sister were watching your performance last night at three in the morning, oops, but we were so blown away with it! You deliver it so well and we both think you have a really high chance of winning! I love your speech!!!

Ah great performance!! Also the parody of into the unknown... XD amaaazing

• RemovedUser1

This is amazing!! Absolutely amazing!! I love how you combined facts with your personal story. I also watched the video!!!! It was perfect!!! The little detail with the lipstick heart is so cute! I will be liking and subscribing. Nice to finally see your face, XD.

I just love this. Every time I read it it's amazing. I feel like sending this to all my friends who feel insecure without makeup, just to tell them they don't have to be.

• almost flora kane

this is amazing! i love the "create, don't coat" especially. your use of story and data fit well and create a lovely argument. also, re: thank you so much for the suggestions, i will definitely keep that in mind while editing! i'll watch the video you suggested asap too, i'm excited to see what that's all about:)

• iamherbooks

Re: Thank you so much! And I will correct the grammar, oops hahaha.
    Yes, I am new here! And I definitely will contact you if need be (or even if it's just for a friendly talk).

• mindfruit

Preach it! As birthdaycandles said, you should be proud of writing such a powerful speech. It's fantastic (and I love how casual it is too).
    Re: Aw, thanks for your kind words! It's funny how some of them contradict themselves, but people are reaaaally complex

• birthdaycandles

Still can’t get over how amazing this speech is! Wow! I hope your hard work is recognised in the competition results! But even if it’s not, you should be so proud of writing such a powerful speech! :D

• Mr. Enoki

This is so good Anne! Also, you should totally check out scholasticsartandwriting.com and enter some of your work into the competition! It's really good recognition and if you don't have the money, it's really easy to get the fee waiver signed! Your work is so amazing and I think the judges would eat it up!

• Busssy.Beee

Oh my DeBoNeD ChIcKeN WiNgS!!! I love this so incredibly much and you look so so pretty! <3<3<3