Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Update: I will no longer be accepting reviews on this piece, as I need to finish revising it soon so I can record my performance. Thank you so much to all who have helped me with this.
I wasn't planning on entering this comp, but I got inspired, so you guys get a little rant lol. Once I finish my final draft, I plan on recording and submitting a video of my performance.

Camouflage, Cover, Conceal: The Makeup Trap (link in footnotes)

I want all of you to look at me right now. What do you see? Maybe you see my acne, red spots that flare up when I get stressed or don’t get enough sleep. You could be noticing that I look preeetty tired.
    Or maybe you looked at me through a different lens. Looking at the same person, you might have thought, I wish my skin was a fair as hers, or Why can’t my eyebrows have such a nice arch? If you’re like the majority of people, one of the first things you see in other people is what you don’t have. Whether it’s the thickness of their hair or the straightness of their teeth, it’s easy to be envious of others’ looks.
    For a lot of people, especially women and girls, the solution to their insecurities is makeup. While some use it to create, others use it to hide the things that they wish would go away.
    “According to a May 2017 survey of American consumers, 41 percent of Americans between the ages of 30 and 59 years wear makeup on a daily basis, and 25 percent wear makeup several times per week,” says a study from statistica.com. Another article suggests that “Fifty-six percent of women say they are dissatisfied with their overall appearance.” There are exceptions to every rule, but these statistics suggest that a large percentage of women use makeup as a way to “paint over” their insecurities.
    I am not exempt from the effects of society’s ideas of what makes the “ideal woman”. About two years ago, I started wearing makeup at church. Nothing drastic, just some foundation, blush, eyeliner, and eyeshadow. I liked experimenting and learning about this little art form. However, after a couple of months, I began to crave the feeling of being impenetrable. The compliments I once merely enjoyed, I started to think I needed. I tried different eyeshadow colors, more lipstick, and anything I could manage to receive the validation that I was beautiful.
    Suddenly, I got sick. The details are a story for another time, but the fact of the matter was that I no longer had the extra energy to apply makeup in the morning. Bare-faced and insecure, I dragged myself to church. What I noticed was that nobody treated me any differently. Comments about my laugh or my kindness that once went unnoticed now made my day. And I realized that those were the things that mattered, the things that made me truly beautiful. There is an anonymous quote that perfectly illustrates what I learned from this experience; “Beauty isn’t about having a pretty face. It is about having a pretty mind, a pretty heart, and most importantly a beautiful soul.”
    Makeup is wonderful. It really is. When I see someone who’s clearly spent a lot of time perfecting their lovely eyeshadow or contour, I’m proud of them. But it should be used as a celebration, not a cure-all or a crutch. Create, don’t coat. As the famous TV show host, Ellen Degeneres, once said, "Beauty is about being comfortable in your own skin. It's about knowing and accepting who you are."
    I’m not saying all this to make myself seem wise or perfect. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. I’ve simply begun the journey to embracing my flaws. And if you feel like you’ve reached a state of perfect self-love and then suddenly feel just as insecure as before, you’re not defective. Everyone has their struggles, and there are still days that make me want to hide my face away. The difference is that I now know my true identity. Are you ready to discover yours?
616 words

Sources

Frequency of makeup use among U.S. consumers 2017, by age
https://www.statista.com/statistics/713178/makeup-use-frequency-by-age/

Body Image in America: Survey Results
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/199702/body-image-in-america-survey-result

• Thunderspark8

Re: Thank you so much! It's really nice of you to say that. :D

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: haha! I’m doing well, thank you! I’m always happy when it’s Friday!! XD

• Rohan’s Defender

Hi Anne! How are you? What have you been doing?Also, I saw that you saw Connor’s name (haha, that’s a weird sentence...) I have a character named Connor actually in a trilogy I’m writing (outside of WtW). But I like the name a lot too (kind of obviously since I have a character named that! XD)

• madeline3.14159

Re: thank you so much!! Im glad you liked it!!
    Also, this is so interesting!! I don't wear much makeup around because im lazy, but I agree with what you said about makeup should be there to create not coat. I love the way it is used as an art, but it shouldn't be something required to fit in with society. You did a great job describing this!

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: aww, that’s great! Yay, I’m happy for you!! And thank you too!

• birthdaycandles

Replying: Woow I thought I was the only one that was trying to hum a tune to the words of the last part lol, I’m so glad you liked it :)

• happygiggles

Review submitted a couple of hour ago, sorry it's so late! <3

• birthdaycandles

I can't even express how good this is?!? Anne, my mouth dropped at the last line because it felt like this speech really *spoke*, if you know what I mean. Personal, critical, analytical, it's just brilliant. I'd leave a review, but I don't have much time on my hands at the minute (college applications urgh) and I wouldn't know what else to say to improve this. I could never write a speech like this, and I'm okay saying that, people are good at different things. But woah, you absolutely have a talent for speech writing! Can't wait to see you convey all of this emotion in your speech presentation, I have such a strong feeling that this speech will do so well in the competition! <3

• RemovedUser1

Replying: Haha, yes! I will sometime, XD.
    Huh. I haven’t heard of that yet. What are they trying to do? XD?
    (I was guessing you would say that, XD. Tennessee would be an amazing place to live! Red AND mountains????)
    Thanks!
    Yeah! I actually have one or two pieces I need to publish soon... I created it so that other people could read my stuff outside of WtW, and so that I’d have a place to keep my writing in case something happened here, XD. Here ya go: https://savannacroft.wixsite.com/scribbles . I hope you like it!

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: Aw, well I’m here for you! I hope you have an amazing day, and I’d love to talk more soon!

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: wow, it sounds really good! Thank you so much for recommending it! I really need some good books to read! I hope your appointment goes well! I pray for everyone on WtW every day! :) Also, I hate to ask about C, but I just wanted to check in on that situation.

• lochnessie

re: hi again :)
    No, it wasn't anything you said at all. I'm just going to be taking a big break and hopefully I might come back again in a few months <3

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: hey! I’m doing well, thank you. I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling sick! What have you been doing?

• lochnessie

re: and no stomach punches allowed! we use words not fists here lol

• lochnessie

re: likewise... of course we will always not agree with each other on this. i'm never going to necessarily be OKAY with it, but that doesn't mean we need to get into a fight over it or get angry at all :D i'm going to be leaving my message board up, but it's not a personal attack on anyone. again, you have a right to your beliefs, and i to mine, and we don't necessarily need to talk about it! :)

• lochnessie

re: hey, anne.
    so, it's up to you. i respect your right to your personal beliefs, and also you're super nice! i didn't want to get into a fight with anyone, it was more about sharing what i believe in without misleading anyone. i also didn't want to get into a debate, because i recognise that it's not my place to do so. you're awesome, and i understand if you'd prefer to unfollow me. hope you're having a good day.

• Karma's_Coming

Re: thank you for all the helpful comments! I’ll keep all your tips in mind while trying to convince my mother.

• CatclaKat

I love how insightful this is on such a big but unnoticed issue of daily life. Love this!

• Samina

This is incredible Anne! Beautiful piece!

• books4life

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! ADORE x100000

• beth r.

re: *top

• beth r.

re: haha XD
    also darn it you figured out my type secret location XD

• RemovedUser1

Replying: Haha, great!
    Well, I mean, I guess there could be a worse haircut, but I don’t like the way it’s like framing their face. But yeah, shorter hair cuts I think are better XD.
    Aww, that’s sad. I mean, cool that you did that, but sad the way those people acted. We just got honks, and there was two kids who LOVED it and were pointing at our signs and stuff, XD.
    A garlic festival??? XDDDDD. I like garlic powder on green beans and stuff like that but a whole festival??? I’m cracking up, XD.
    Well, I thought it would be fine since I don’t live there any more, but I’d probably want to be safe and sorry . And I love my middle name, whereas a lot of people won’t tell anyone there middle name, so that’s why I added that, XD. But I’ll keep that in mind in the future XD.

• Rohan’s Defender

Oh my gosh, I got chills! THIS IS INCREDIBLE!!! If this is a rant, I want to read more rants!!!! I ADORE this and it’s so true! I feel the same way!!!

• Treblemaker

Replying: Thank you for the welcome, and for telling me how to respond... I was a bit confused on that :) Also love this speech the opening paragraph really made me think.

• Mpm#1

This is very good! Makeup is interesting. Does it makeup your entire appearance? Does it makeup for your flaws? Or does it accent what's already there and make it go up in value? I guess we should define makeup rather than allow it to define us.

• erin!

replying: thank you <3, you're too kind to me

i don't know how i feel about makeup, i do enjoy all things that are glittery. but i thought this was lovely.

• happygiggles

great work!

• Book Kitten

This is realy good!!!

• Emi (Revival Year #NEWYEAR)

I 100 percent agree with this! Lovely work!
    I don't wear makeup because I hate putting anything (sunblock included) on my face, plus I really don't care whether anyone sees my zits (and maybe I'm just too lazy and cheap to buy myself any concealer). But I've got no beef with people who do, whatever works for them.

• Jasmine khawar

Re: not too long, I updated it some days ago :)

And why you got into my profile today, and saw my message box....(?) I mean....without any reason XD

• lochnessie

re: haha yeah. i'm also out in the bush a lot and it's honestly harmless. there are definitely bugs but there are bugs everywhere you go if you're out in the country lol

• lochnessie

re: honestly in australia and especially melbourne there are really not very many bugs. they're all out in the bush, only bugs i've seen in the last year are totally harmless daddy longlegs and mozzies XD

• RemovedUser1

This is beautiful! I love how you used your own experiences, and I love the anonymous quote! Ending it with a question was a great detail, too. It also has such a positive message. It really is something every girl needs to hear. I don’t wear makeup much because... well, I’m kinda lazy, XD. But I have also been sucked into the never ending cycle of looking best and pleasing people. This is, overall, a great speech!
    Replying: Yeah, lol. I guess you know you care about someone when you write multiple pieces about them :D.
    Is there anything else you could do? Like treatment? Well, if your parents don’t think it’s real, they probably wouldn’t take you. But, still.
    Yes, it was so good!! Pence was amazing. There was a lot more respect from both sides. Harris was kinda getting on my nerves though. But, the lady who hosted it was much better too. I bet Fox has a video. Have you watched it yet?
    Also, slip in side pee? What XD??

• beth r.

re: ah yes. slip n slide pee is a recipe for disaster... XD

• beth r.

i love this!

• rainydayz

good luck! i’m glad you are raising awareness to this issue

• dream02

This is absolutely amazing! I feel like I have to wear mascara at least to be pretty. Thank you so much! I wish you the best in the competition!