Noah Hughey

Feel free to criticize and assess the opinion presented in this essay. I, myself, feel is sits too much on a rant's basis than an actual assessment of an idea.

Breaking the Chains of Political Manipulation

It was President George Washington who said, "The unity of government which constitutes you one people is also now dear to you. It is justly so; for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence," This is the core belief of any good nation that intends to exist beyond the reaches if time. But as time progresses, and the corruption of man interludes with the political engine of government, we notice a major shift in the stability of the political discourse of this nation. As someone who, like many others, got involved in politics for the first time in 2016, I was so confused and scared of the world I was entering. Everyone was telling me that their opposition was out to destroy this country and that if I didn't support them, I was unintelligent. Little did I realize, this ploy was not only not true, but a practice both sides of the political isle partake in. Over the course of four years, I explored and assessed the political discourse of this nation. What I found, as I moved around erratically in the political compass and switched from party to party, was that they were all the same. Which, at first, enraged me. Because while they remain so different in an end goal for the political engine of this nation, they all enact the same exact tactics and lines to convince you they were right. These ideologies, in their fear of an imperfect world, have both convinced themselves and the American populace-- primarily young people, like me, that their personal and political beliefs are that of our nation's founding, and must be enforced upon all citizens. I disagree with this notion. In that four years that I grew politically, I learned that there truly is one uniting belief in this country, that could bring any American together with her sister or brother in unison. But what I found was this idea was not going to be found under the list of left-or-right wing views and actions. This idea is not housed under the policies of either mainstream party in this country, though both use it as a ploy to push for their political power. This idea is the notion that all citizens in this country are born with an inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and that it is the government’s sole purpose to preserve and protect that right through the rule of law and according to legal precedent. These engines of political corruption have always tended to call for America to become "better." But what they fail to admit is that their version of better is not based on this belief, but based on their narrow-minded world, that of which they have constructed inside their heads. I stand firm in my assessment, that if given the power and means to do so, each and every one of them would silence their opposition, at whatever costs it took. In fact, we have proof of this as early as the Adams Administration, when the Sedition Act essentially jailed any Democratic-Republican who dared oppose his actions as President, or any of the actions of the majority Federalist legislature. In their scramble to make this magic world of total perfection real, these engines have proven, and will prove again to take the most drastic measures possible. Whether it be a right wing king or a left wing dictator, or vice versa, we see that every side of the political compass, every political ideology at one point or another, has gone even as far as murder to silence those who threaten their beliefs. And as I stated before, they intend to instill these views onto my generation like they have the ones before it. After this assessment, I have come to a conclusion that these ideologies are becoming far too powerful a presence in our government, and their corruption and self-serving nature have allowed them to corrupt every form of discourse they come across. Modern debate in political discourse have turned into screaming matches. Science is becoming corrupted by the politics of the people who intend to use it to preserve political power. And now, as it seems, Americans have to endure presidential debates that don't compare to middle school fights in terms of grace, integrity, and performance. These ideologies have had nearly 400 years to prove their necessity to our discourse, and to our government. But in those 400 years they have failed. In half that time, the parties that have locked themselves into the discussion and functions of our government have made relentless their efforts to convince us their goals are goals that respect our natural rights and instead, they have proven they prefer their personal and political beliefs over our natural rights. This is not to discredit the good men and women who have made efforts to support and defend our liberties as citizens of this nation, but I firmly believe that just because a murderer attends an anti-murder convention one year does not rid him of his sins. After all of this, however, these engines have yet to get the rejection they deserve, as their impact and influence on the young American mind has become a staple in their control of the outcome of the young American’s beliefs. In every essential essence, these engines own us like cattle, and have owned us and every generation before ours. I find it prevalent and necessary to the better judgement of liberty that my generation be the one to end the cycle of political corruption that has broken our discourse and led to the absolute de-intellectualization of the people involved in it, young and old. President Washington had agreed with this general sentiment, stating in his farewell address, "The alternate domination of one faction over an other, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation on the ruins of public liberty." So I leave with the assertation that the question up to us. Will we allow the public liberty of our fellow citizens stay under the constant threat of the prevailing factions and the game they play with that public liberty? Or will we take a stand, and be the generation that stood in the way of these corrupt engine’s disillusioned goals and had the courage to say one simple word: "No."

• October 9, 2020 - 8:19am (Now Viewing)