Rohan’s Defender

15
[ChildOfGod]
BTS ARMY with a double bias <3
*joined in July 2020*
Peeta Mellark’s girl (9-24-20)

Here’s part 9! Keep an eye out for Coolgirl2020’s part 10! Have a great weekend too! :)

The Lost Letters of Panem (A Collab With Coolgirl2020); Letter 9.

10
To my family,

Hi. It’s Rue. I asked my escort if I could write to you. She said yes, but just this once. I think she wasn’t supposed to let me, but she just felt bad for me or something. Anyway, this is my one letter. So I guess first I’ll tell you about everything that’s happened.
 First off, the train was neat. It went really fast, like I always imagined. We passed through a lot of the other districts, but I’m not sure exactly which ones. After the avoxes showed me my room on the train, I was trying to look out the window to see, but I think I fell asleep.
 Thresh woke me up. From the couple times I’ve seen him before, I thought he was intimidating from a distance, but he’s really intimidating up close. When I opened my eyes, he was leaning over me. It scared me so much, because I though he was going to kill me. But he just told me that it was time to eat. Then he left the room.
 I went to eat, and I was so surprised. You should have seen all the food! It was a feast. I wanted to eat all of it, but Thresh said our mentor wanted us to just eat small amounts at first. He said it was really rich. So I had some delicious bread and chicken, and pudding and fruit. And I was actually full. I wish you could have tasted it. It was like a dream. 
 Once we got to the Capital, I was shocked. The buildings are giant, and the people look so weird and creepy. It’s nothing like back home. It’s also really lonely.
 I know you must have watched the Tribute Parade when it was broadcast. I wonder what you thought of me? My costume was nice, I guess. But I don’t think anyone was really focused on any of us except the kids from District 12. Their outfits were amazing! Do you think they could actually feel the fire?
 Then we started training a few days ago. All the other tributes looked so big. The Careers were deadly; I watched the boy from 1 throw a spear farther than I can shoot an apple with my slingshot. And the boy from 2 is HUGE! It’s scary, because I was watching him throw spears and once he looked at me. I think he scowled. It gives me chills to think about. 
 Everyone basically ignores me, which I guess is good. Maybe it means they won’t all come after me in the arena. I guess the less they notice me, the better. Except in our private sessions with the gamemakers, when I was hoping they would pay more attention to me. They were mostly talking and eating, but I did some climbing. Somehow I still got a seven! I know I can run, climb, and shoot if I have a slingshot, though I doubt I will in the arena. I can find food, which will be good because I won’t have to go to the Cornucopia. I’ve still got a chance if no one comes after me. 
 Tonight we had the interviews. I know you watched that too. I think mine went okay. Caesar Flickerman tried to help me, even though I was really nervous. I hope it was okay. But the real stars of the interviews were Katniss and Peeta from 12.
 Did you see the way Katniss’ dress caught fire? It was incredible. She must have an amazingly talented stylist. The crowd really liked her, just like in the Tribute Parade. The funny thing is, she actually seems okay. She looked at me a couple times during training, and she never acted like she wanted to do anything to me. Maybe it’s not that, she probably just wanted to see what I could do so she could find my weakness. All it would take is for her to catch me and it would be over. But still, it makes some part of me wonder if she’s really that bad.
  Peeta seems alright too. I was really surprised when he said that about loving Katniss. I wasn’t expecting it. Neither was the crowd. They all started shouting. I knew he had been staying near her, but how could he love her? I overheard the two of them talking a few times in training, and it sounded like they didn’t know each other back in 12. Obviously she had no idea that he was going to say that. But somehow I feel like something is missing in the story, like there’s a piece of the puzzle I can’t figure out. I don’t know. Maybe it’s not true at all.

I’m so scared. I’m going into the arena so soon, and I’m completely terrified. I don’t know what to do. I’m trapped here. They’re going to put me there like I’m an animal, to either fight or run. What if I can’t run fast enough? It’s such a horrible feeling to not know what to do.
 I’m trying to be strong. I have hope. I keep telling myself that maybe, just maybe I can go home. Even still, I wish you didn’t have to watch the Games. I don’t want you to be scarred if anything happens to me.
 I love you. I don’t know what else to say other than that I’ll be okay. I’m afraid, but I haven’t given up. I am considering saying goodbye here too, but I don’t think I want to. I don’t want to believe that I’m going to die. So one way or another, I’ll see you again soon. I promise!

I love you all so much,
Rue
Hey! This is Part 9. of the Lost Letters of Panem, my collab with Coolgirl2020! It’s based on the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins! Keep an eye out for Part 10 with Coolgirl! Enjoy your weekend!

• Kit-Kat Sully {Child of God}

So bitter sweet! <3

• Cornflower Burst

Rue is so sweet and kind! Her death was definitely the worst for me. Losing her in Hunger Games and then losing Prim in Mockingjay was terrible.

• Bhavya's Treasure

Rue's innocence can win anyone's heart!
    I wish Rue knew how caring Thresh was.
    The big boulders from District 1 & 2... I want to kick them out for threatening Rue with their monstrous expressions.
    Ah... She has caught that something is missing in the puzzle, that's how Rue was... Observant.

'What if I can’t run fast enough?' I want to hug Rue right now!!!!!!
    Overall, it's a well thought out piece, though I think you had written it when you were tired since the last part isn't italicized but that's okay. :) Also, there some 2-3 grammatical errors which you can edit in your Portfolio but the emotions and feelings... You are a master at grabbing and displaying them! :D
    Love you! <3

• V-Rose

I wanted one from Rue's perspective! Yay! Also, I wonder where these lost letters were found? Like, were they hidden in the capital, buried, or something?

• RemovedUser1

Awwwwww!! This is so SAD! And the writing makes it seem like a little kid. Your other ones sound grownup, but this one is so sweet and innocent. And the spear thing, OH! My heart. Rue was my favorite!! I’m pretty sure I cried when she died XC. I know I suggested this, but now I want to take it back because it’s SADDDDDD!
    Replying: Yeah, I did. I have to have this splint for a week... The worse thing is I am TERRIBLE at crutches. I’m so SLOW. So, my mom got a wheel chair from the church, XD! Other than that, if no one touches it it’s fine. But I have to wear a shoe all day because it hurts to walk without it. (I’m usually barefoot.) I’m also hurting from sitting in one position for three days, XD! But, thanks for praying for me!! It means a lot <3

• books4life

LOVE!!!!!!!!!

• Rohan’s Defender

Oops, it was supposed to all be italicized! Oh well!

• Livsnjutare

I feel like crying! I love Rue so much, she is just so cute!!!

• katnissromanoff

I love this so much! Great job!!!

• Coolgirl2020 (LOVE YA ALL)

So cute! Especially love the Thresh part! Will write my part soon! XD

aw the innocence portrayed in this letter is so sweet and so so heartbreaking.

• mindfruit

Love this! Awesome job capturing Rue's authenticity (and I love her interaction with Thresh). And the way you foreshadowed her death? I'm crying now :(
    Re: aw, thanks!