Hanan Adi

Germany

Senior Peer Reviewer. Former Write the World young writer, now mentoring other WtW young writers through peer reviews!

This is inspired by my own life, but it is fiction. I would really like to hear if and how this connected to you and how you interpreted what the mother said. Thank you so much for your time. I love you all.

Certain Things My Mother Told Me Which Somehow I Have Not Forgotten

1.      Sweetheart, would you jot down flour, eggs, luck, and friends on the grocery list? We seem to be all out.

2.      Husbands are good for women who like to cook, clean, and argue.

3.      They say smashing your mirror brings bad luck, but just try it, I promise, you won’t hate yourself half so much anymore.

4.      At least when your father tells you he loves you, you never believe it.
         When he told me that once, seventeen years ago, I did.

5.      Whisper your burning secrets to the trees, sweetheart; they thrive on wasted breath.

6.      Don’t be sad, dearest life. Daughter is just laughter with an extra lopsided smile.

7.      Life isn’t pointless. Just mine is. But you won’t miss me, will you?

1

• Josephine O'Grady

I really must visit your profile more!

• Shanti

I'd like to nominate this piece for the 2017 Write the World Literary journal!

• Hanan Adi

Dear Shanti, thank you for taking the time to read and review this little story. I really appreciate it and I am glad you enjoyed it at least somewhat. I think what confuses you is that the mother is telling her daughter things she considers to be true just from the experience of her own life. They are not necessarily universal truths. Such as #2: obviously, in the whole world, there are uncountable good husbands who don't yell at their wives. I hope this clears things up a bit. Thank you once again for your time. Warmly, Hanan A.