Emi (Revival Year #NEWYEAR)

American
Right Moderate Social Libertarian
Patriot
Biracial
Diecisiete
Ravenclaw
Lunar
Rider of the Rohirrim
Narnian
Prydain
District 7
Chef
Gardener
Writer
Artist
Seamstress
Homeschooler
Romantic
Nerd
Archer
Rifler

"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probably explanation is that we were made for another world." C. S. Lewis
"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to an known God." Corrie Ten Boom
"We know that God is everywhere." Charlotte Brontë
"No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books." Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
“The irony is that while God doesn’t need us but still wants us, we desperately need God but don’t really want Him most of the time.” Francis Chan
"Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God." Amy Carmichael
"Do your best and let God do the rest." Ben Carson

Currently reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.
JESUS 2020!!!!!

Floodlands

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

6
    "We're not going to get anywhere if we have to swim," Jarrod says wearily as we look over the infant sea stretching over what used to be the Great Plains.
    "You're telling me you can't swim, farmer boy?" I ask. "Didn't you have a pond in your backyard?"
    "That was a cow hole. This is too much," he groans, sliding to the ground with a weary cough. "The Fed will pick us up on their helicopters if go out in that thing. There'll be nowhere to run."
    "Maybe it's not as deep as it looks." I wade into the still water, my boots unpleasantly soaked. I keep going for a while; it doesn't get any deeper, though the water is so murky I can't even imagine what lies beneath. "It seems okay."
    No response. I turn back and see Jarrod slumped over his backpack, asleep again. Sighing, I go back. He's been sleeping more and more these days. I'm afraid. The Void is beginning to tell on him. His eyelids are shadowed with weariness, and his breathing, even in sleep, is unsteady. Won't be long before the fever takes him, and then I'll never be able to drag him to Red Dawn for the cure. We need to go. I shake him.
    "Wake up, sleeper. We need to move. Time's wastin'."
    He's up again, blinking quickly and scrambling for his pack. We fight over it for a moment. I want to take it for him, but he won't let me.
    "I should be carrying yours," he even said, despite swaying when he swings his own over his shoulders. "I'm stronger."
    "When you're healthy, you're stronger."
    "I am healthy!" he protests, even when a fit of coughing racks him.
    "Come on, Jarrod. We're going to cross."
    "You're sure it's safe? We can't just go back to City 13666 and get a plane?"
    "It will take too long. We need to get to Red Dawn before you collapse."
    "I'm not going to collapse."
    "Or the fever goes to your head and you start trying to murder me."
    "I'm not going to do that either," he states, wading quickly into the swampy land, as if trying to prove he can. "I'm okay, got it? I'll make it through."
    I shake my head, before following him over the flooded land, the land that will now always be a wasteland of swamps and puddles.

1

• RemovedUser1

(Sorry I couldn’t comment earlier. I was at a trampoline park :)
    This is so good! I love how you start in the middle of the action. I also like the unusual names. Great job spinning the prompt!
    Replying: Yeah, politics stress me out too sometimes. It was a ton better and we could hear what they actually thought on the issues. Captain Crunch cereal isn’t as good as debate cookies, but it’s still good, XD.
    Yes, the abortion rates for special needs children is so sad. They’re not always right, too. I know a lot of people who have special needs kids or family members and they love them. Thanks for commenting!

• Rachaelgrace

This is really amazing! I love the dialogue you use. Also I love your message from the writer :D

• rainydayz

re: thanks so much for the kind word on my piece!

• rainydayz

this is an absolutely amazing response to this prompt. awesome work!

• Rohan’s Defender

Wow! This is so interesting!! Are you going to do more?