FantasyOtter12

He/him
ISFJ-T
Scorpio
Love dystopian fiction!
Pianist
Bookworm
*Est. 7/6/20*
OtterFAMMM
Phlegmatic-Sanguine

~Abnegation and son of Poseidon (Apparently. Always thought Poseidon was interesting. Hm)

Melting Arctic ice is forcing polar bears to swim for more than a week without rest :(

Crashing Through

PROMPT: Cli-Fi

27
    "Mommy!!" Yuri ran to the edge of the ice, her paws skittering across the thawing expanse. Her mother, Ursa, roared for her to get away from the edge, but since when did her daughter listen? Crack! The ice split even more. 
    "GO!" Ursa roared. But there was nowhere Yuri to go anyways. She scrambled back, her paws soon grasping for nothing as she fell in the icy cold water. Her mother swam for her, desperate to keep her alive at all costs, but there was no ice or land for miles. Nothing but water in sight. Even the two-legged ones had left at the first sight of ice melting catastrophically fast. 
    "The water is cold, mum," Yuri whimpered. 
    "I know, hon." Ursa's big brown eyes looked at her daughter in sadness. "Just keep swimming."

So they swam. Miles and miles, over endless expanses of water. Ursa was old, though. 20 years had put a weary strain on her body. Each hour her feet kicked slower and slower. Then Yuri looked behind her and her mother's feet weren't moving at all. She swam over in exhaustion and pried open her mother's eyes, but there was nothing there. They were lifeless.

As Yuri swam on in despair, the sun beating down on her back and the ice cold water under her belly, she found a star in the distance. Iceberg. She swam towards it with elation, and when she finally reached it, she realized the platform was barely big enough to fit her small body. Yuri flopped down and heaved a sigh. She conceded to the fact that there was no more ice. She grieved for her mother and yelled at the sky. Yelled because the air was hot. Yelled because the sea was cold. Yuri cried, because the ice was melting.
Word count 300
I owe it to this prompt for breaking me out of writers block - I've always absolutely adored this genre and I had to write something <3
Have a great day!

• beth r.

wow- this is so intense. so good!
    re: lol thanks!

• JustAnotherDarling

Rereading this made me sad all over again - but I love it at the same time. (I make no sense sometimes, huh?)
    Re: ohmygosh anything by Alan Walker makes me feel a l i v e
    I'm in a bit of a funk lately because I haven't heard ANY NEW MUSIC THAT I LIKE, and I'm feeling so uninspired - any suggestions?
    hope you've had a wonderful day, and happy friday in advance!!

Whoa. INTENSE! Superb job :D

• RemovedUser1

This is really fast paced and interesting, and it’s packed with intensity. That part where her mom dies :(. I thought for sure something was going to eat Yuri. But the sadness could eat her too. I guess I never realized that polar bears SWAM to Canada.... Great piece, though!

Chapter 16 of Traitors and Rebels is out!! So excited for you to read this one ;)

• dovetrees

re: oooh really?! how did you find the first book? yeah, the second ending confused me, too - the ending of the third book is absolutely wild! i can't believe what happened haha

• YouAreEnough

This is heartbreaking:_( But it brings things to a new perspective being the view from an animal. Amazing!!!

• dream02

This is amazing!

• dream02

Thx!
    Ohhh okay haha thx.

• Currently Unavailable

This is the link to my second draft in case you want to look at it! <3

Chapter 15 of Traitors and Rebels!! https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/194821/version/395798

• Emi (Revival Year #NEWYEAR)

I like how you did this from the perspective of an animal! It really takes a new spin on the prompt!

• Bhavya's Treasure

Oh my... This is heart-breakingly awakening!! Your descriptions are so well brought out. I found myself breathing that hot air and crying with Yuri.
    Global warming has to be curbed, there's no other way.

• Rohan’s Defender

Okay, first off...................... *deep breath* Excuse me for a moment. *screams into pillow* WHHHHHAAAATTTTT???!!??! I AM DYING NOW! I agree, I think they’re polar bears, and NOOOOOO URSA!!!!!!!!!! This is incredible. Just wow.

• JustAnotherDarling

I'm pretty sure these bears are Polar bears and Polar bears are my FAVORITE animals so now I'm panicking over the idea that this could possibly become a reality. "Yelled because the air was hot. Yelled because the sea was cold." Otter, these lines have me b a w l i n g - what have you done to me?!
    Re: thank you :D

• Currently Unavailable

WOW! Beautiful! This was SO sad!

• mindfruit (hiatus)

Wow, beautiful story. Great descriptions (and now I'm sad. hmph)

• Book Kitten

So sad!!

• queenie

wow thanks for breaking my heart??

also tho this is really sad...made me wanna cry tbh

• madeline3.14159

Take that writers block!! XD. Can you break through my writers blook too? JK

yes! You've broken thru writer's block! That is a major accomplishment--i'm still kinda stuck lol--love this!! I've been wanting to try this prompt but have NO ideas *rolls eyes*

• ~Zoe N~

Woah... So so so sad. goodness. Great job