Purple Pizza

a writer with a million tabs open on her laptop, looking for inspiration and scribbling on a google document <3

stay sane!

Why do they have to go to school?

The more you read, the more things you will know, the more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Dr. Seuss, one of the most beloved children's authors to this day, mentioned this in one of his books. He told us that learning takes you places, places you'll never explore, and places you'll never know if you never open a book and read it, love it, and feel it. That is what education does. It is what education does to most of us- we gain the will and power to explore and to discover. To make life meaningful and take in what can only be taken in when education gives us that unparalleled confidence.

I did say that this is what education does to most of us. Why did I say that? I said that because over the course of the few years that I have lived in this world, I have come to know that not everyone has enough books to read and discover new places. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be born in an environment where education is most treasured and encouraged. And not everyone has access to quality education. Not all of us experience the joy of having the confidence and knowledge only education can provide.

We go to school, we go to college and university, and with the skills and knowledge earned throughout our educational journey, we get a job. We become the people, the individuals, that we want to be. Not everyone is fortunate enough to do so, or even for that matter, find educational opportunities. This is because of many reasons- the inability to fund a student to study, the absence of will to send a student to school, and the unavailability of resources to educate a child the way he deserves to be educated, among others. 

Statistics show that about 260 million children are still out of school — nearly one-fifth of the global population in that age group. And more than half of all children and adolescents are not meeting minimum proficiency standards in reading and mathematics.  

Is this what those 260 million children deserve? Do they not deserve a world where their potential is discovered, their rights are provided, and quality education sustained? I founded The Face of Education back in February, a non-profit organization aiming to address these issues and claims, and have found several children who quietly said that because of the color of their skin, their nationality, their gender, and sexuality, or the place they live in, people have said, "Why do they need to go to school?"
I felt not only pity, I felt shame. I felt the need to go and tell these individuals, the answer to that question. Why do they need to go to school? They need to go to school because of the same reason other kids go to school.  The same reason you went to school or wanted to. They need to go to school because they want to open a book, read it, and feel it. They want to discover new places they haven't been to and reach heights they've always wanted to. Don't you think they deserve the right to explore and to discover, and be the people they want to be?

I shall forever keep trying to contribute to providing to these 260 million children the education they deserve and the freedom they want and need to have. I shall sacrifice every breath in my body to answer the question, "Why do they have to go to school?", and tell everyone what those 260 million children are worthy of and help them claim it. I shall forever strive to see a smile on every child's face- black or white, girl or boy, African or American, rich or poor- and show them there is no place they cannot go. I want them to have the education they are wholly and fully entitled to. Through my organization, outside of it- wherever I am, irrespective of the person I may be.
And I want you to help. 
Next time you see a child who is not fortunate enough to study, whatever you may be, try to help them. Give them a book, give them a pen, give them the power to change the world. Smile and tell them that anything is possible, and help them in the best way you can to make them the people they want to be.

Why do they have to go to school? Because they're the future of the world, and their smile is more precious than anything else. The least we can do is bring that smile on their beautiful, hopeful faces. And to give them the education and freedom they so truly deserve.

It's time we help give those children the power to change the world.
----
Audio Link to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TQ6KLKsFzE

1
  • October 12, 2020 - 7:37am (Now Viewing)