Lata.B

"You are grand from your toes to your head. Take a deep breath and let that sink in."

This is not my final draft!
Ugh, my speech is turning out like a spoken word piece!!!! AHHH...I'm making the video now:\

The Arrow Of Love

Look straight. Ignore them. Please don't ask me for money.

Do those thoughts seem familiar? Let me paint a clearer picture for you.  You walk down the streets of your town. It's half past six and the sun has almost set. It's one of those days when the sky looks purple instead of blue. It's enchanting. But your eyes float somewhere else. They browse the ground. 

But the gound is nowhere near as enchanting. Cups of rattling pennies sing horrifying tunes, and the cardboard signs read ''please help".  

With the sidewalk being their bed and the sky covering them like a blanket: They starve beneath the stars.

You might call them homeless but believe me when I tell you that they are not hopeless. A homeless man named Luke once said "You can't break me, You can't break my faith" when talking about the dangers that happen on the streets. 

They do have hope in their hearts that one kind human will stop...they will stop and smile. Sending an arrow full of love.

But how can we love when all we do is walk past without a second glance?

150 million people are homeless around the world. That's 150 million people who don't sleep on a full stomach. That's 150 million people who use the sky and a roof.  That's 150 million people who are hurting. Everyone person who adds up to be that 150 million all have their own stories. Stories that if heard will shatter your heart.

Some use their voices, others drum or strum a chord to earn money. It almost feels like a concert as you walk down those streets. Some even create beautiful artworks. But others...they don't have those skills and become desperate. 

A man named Larry Corner died. He died for 6 dollars and they laughed as he lay there helplessly. He was told that if he did this trick... he would get 6 bucks. That trick cost him his life. 

A woman named Jennifer Bourbonnais was beaten up and strangled when following a man who told her "he could help her". Bearly serving the hands of a monster she told her story. 

Not all homeless people are drug attracts. Not all homeless people are fake. Not all homeless people are criminals. 

Even if you think you have nothing to give. Give a smile. 

A sandwich could be the choice between life and death because...

The dad.
The son.
The mom.  
The daughter.
All slowly died into the hands of hunger.

I was in the car with my family when I saw his soul through his smile. We were driving down a busy street and had stopped at a red light. I saw his heartbroken face from a distance. All I had was a crumpled dollar bill in my right pocket. 

"Hey, sir?" I yelled as loud as I could. My parents looked back with confused looks on their faces. He inched closer to the car window and I smiled. 

I could see the crinkles form under his eyes it was like he got hit by an arrow... from me. The arrow of love. I held the dollar bill out and he grasped it with both his hands. 

"Thank you" he whispered and the wind carried his voice as we drove away.

All I'm asking is to lend them your smile. All I'm asking is that you give what you can. All I'm asking is that you help change the world...an arrow at a time.

Somebody is out there RIGHT NOW! Waiting for your arrow to hit them. To make a dent right in their heart.

• sci-Fi

This is so true and so important. It's something everyone needs to hear, and you turned a solemn message into a eye-catching speech. Honestly... I could see this winning.

• anvivarma

oh wow, this made me tear up. i don't think we realize how lucky we are to have what we have and all it takes is a little smile or to be kind to someone to make their day. this piece is so heartwarming that it would make anyone stop and think about how they'll go about their day.

This is really powerful! I feel like, indeed, more people need to step out in love towards the homeless. While many of them may indeed be drug addicts or whatever, there are also those who just hit a bad time. We shouldn't rely on the government to help them—we need to do it ourselves, not only by giving money, but by giving time to help these poor people get back on their feet with a job and a home.

• Busssy.Beee

Author Lata, you impress every time with your words and voice. <3<3<3

Re: I’m glad you were as touched by it as I was. The song’s message reminded me so much of yours. We need to see everyone as a human being worth smiling at and listening to, at least until we’ve seen enough of them to know whether we want to spend any more time with them.

Re: Thank you!!

This is powerful!!! I've never really read a piece about homelessness that is so conveying and has so much feeling and imagery. It's made me think. And want to change. I'm going to smile, the least I can do. Wonderful writing!

i'm not crying...
    imagery—you had it.
    striking message—you nailed it. nailed me in the heart, more like it.
    real experiences and stories—check.
    those thoughts were mine too often.
    i know that in my city many people are on the streets through some fault of their own, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve help and opportunities. and a smile.
    a good test for that is to offer food, to offer opportunities to change, to work, a place to live, and see how they take it.
    "somebody's daughter" by tenille townes. see if you don't end in tears after listening.