amazing grace

Christ is the way!!
Prayer Warrior
Writer
Poet
Songwriter
Psalms 19:14
lover of books
girl
daydreamer
social misfit (and proud of it)

So...I hope to be published some day, but I still have a long way to go.

Be sure to check out my series, The Girl Of Summer, C.R.U.S.H., agent files, Sea Shells And Glass Bottles. If you want me to notify you when a new chapter comes out please comment.

I liked the idea of a grab bag so here's mine:
January Grab Bag
#1: If you could live in any book world which would it be? Write a short story about your time there.
#2: A list of books you could read over and over again.
#3: What would it be like to switch bodies with your best friend? Short story
#4 A poem about two things that are opposite.
#5 Write about a weird experience you had once.
I would love to see what you write.
Don't be afraid to ask for a review. :)

Our oceans and how to save them

In 2006 we lost one of the most beautiful creatures to ever live, the baiji. The Baiji was a sleek white dolphin that lived in the Yangtze. It was lost to overfishing, which is where to many fish are caught. It sounds harmless, but when you take into account that this means the fact that if there aren't enough fish in the ocean than those fish can't reproduce enough fish, and the fact that we are taking away fish from dolphins and whales.

At first this isn't a huge deal, a few extra fish here and there isn't the problem. The problem starts when a lot of fishermen do this year after year after year. When this happens the fish population doesn't ever have a chance to recover. 

And overfishing also means more fishing. Think about it if each time a fishermen cast in his net he caught ten fish, and he cast it in ten times he would have one hundred fish. If he was only allowed to caught one hundred fish he would only cast his net in ten times, but if he goes over that then he cast it in more then ten times. And that increases the chance of a dolphin or whale getting caught in the nets. Getting caught in fishing nets is one of the main reasons we are losing our cetaceans. 

You might be thinking that this doesn't have anything to do with you, or that we aren't going to lose another cetacean anytime soon, but you would be wrong. This has everything to do with you because we're all part of the food chain and if one goes it won't take long for it to get back to us. And for the second question, I will have you know that we are very, very close to losing a porpoises. 

In 1958 the world discovered a new porpoises, the vaquita. It is shorter than five feet(1.5 m) and lives in the California gulf. Right now there are only about ten living. Do you really want to have to tell your future children that you knew how to help, but did nothing to save it? Three years ago there were 30 of them left, but now we're down to ten, and something needs to be done.

One thing that needs to be right now is fishing there. One out of five vaquitas is killed from these nets. If this isn't stopped then next year chances are that there won't be a vaquia for us to save. Another thing is we need to speak up about this, if people knew about it then there might be more of a chance for them to survive. 

A dolphin we are in danger of losing is the Indus River dolphin. There are less then two thousand left in the world. Now you might think that sounds like a lot, but imagine if there were only two thousand people left. We might have a chance to survive. But imagine if we were being hunted, or all the water was polluted, sure we might make it. Now think about what kind of chance we would have if we were being hunted and the water was polluted and we were dying from nets, those chances aren't very good are they?

So what can you do to help? Well for starters you can help reduce pollution by reusing stuff, recycling, and not using plastic water bottles. Another way is by spreading awareness about this, The more people who know and commit to stop pollution the better. If we all just reused a plastic water bottle once then that would be about 7.6 billion water bottles that we saved from being thrown in the ocean, if we did two then that would be 15.2 billion, and if we did just one a week then that would be 395.2 billion in a year. See how much of a difference you can make.
Word count: 658

Resources: WWF, Encyclopedia of Whales, Dolphins, and porpoises by Erich Hoyt.

1

Re: Okay, thank you

This is so sweet! It sounds truly passionate:)

• mystifiedtulip

awww I searched up "baiji" and after looking at all of the beautiful pics, i got really sad that they're extinct! great speech though, i could tell that you were very passionate about this particular topic; there were a lot of facts!

• ~Zoe N~

Nice, I'll review this, do you mind reviewing mine?