happygiggles

Ireland

hi. welcome to my profile. please make sure you eat today, you need it to stay alive! happy giggling!
i'm a Catholic and a day-dreamer, that's all (:
most of my stuff sounds the same tbh :/

Let me know what you think, be critical, I'm looking to improve (:

Books Over Looks

Do you love your body? Could you look in the mirror, stare at yourself and think "wow, I'm gorgeous, there is not a single thing that I want to change about the way that I look?" One hundred percent sure that there is not a single stretch mark, pimple, scar or even a gram of fat that you long to remove. Unfortunately, I don't think you could. 
   Results of a survey carried out by the Mental Health Foundation showed that 31% of teenagers feel ashamed in relation to their body image. Let that sink in. Almost 80% of teenagers admit to being afraid of becoming fat, 3% are diagnosed with anorexia and 19 out of 20 young woman have said that they "would change their bodies." How concerning is that?
   These statistics, these numbers are only going to rise if we don't normalize talking about body image, learn to practice body positivity, nourish our bodies and treat them with the love that they deserve. That is why I have chosen to speak up about this, I am doing my part to try and make a difference, teaching you that it is okay to not fit society's mold. Let's rip apart that mold, that ideal body type, let's destroy society's standards, together.
   Society tells girls that they have to have a small waist and a thigh gap. But, don't forget, as a girl, you also have to be curvaceous, have impeccable skin, wear make-up, have a flat stomach, have shiny and silky smooth hair, never have any body hair on display, you're not allowed to have acne, stretch marks or scars. And fat, well that's forbidden. Society tells boys that they have to have big muscles, wide shoulders, a six-pack, little fat and they have to be at least 6 foot to even be considered relevant. To sum it up, society whispers in your ear constantly, that you can't be yourself, you can't look like who you really are underneath the 6lbs of make-up slapped on to your face.
  Those standards, those standards are wrong. So wrong. They are ridiculous, unreachable and, much to my concern, goals for people living on Earth today. Don't let them be goals for you. Don't try to achieve them, don't try and change yourself so that they're no longer a set of standards, but a description, of your appearance. See, you are beautiful just the way that you are, you are beautiful with cellulite, scars, acne, fat, birth marks, stretch marks, un-plucked eyebrows. crooked teeth, tooth gaps, moles, a big nose, thin arms, thin legs and thin hair. Because all those factors, all those things that you're insecure about, they're what make you, you. Those perfections which you are insecure about, they are what makes you a real person, a gorgeous person too.
   Your body, your temple, is what keeps you alive. Your bony arms are what allow you to hug your loved ones, your legs that jiggle when you walk are the legs that carry you from point A to point B, your large nose is what allows you to breathe, your fat is what keeps you warm, your teeth are what allow you to chew your food. How amazing is that? Think of all these body parts that you have, that others don't. Think of how much they would give just to have what you have, even for a day. The ability to walk, breathe properly, hug, be warm. 
   Your body's only priority is you and it's only goal is to keep you alive. So embrace it, it doesn't care what it looks like, what others think, how "pretty" it is, it just cares about looking after you. Do you care about looking after you? Do you care about learning to love the skin which you are in and allow yourself to be at peace, to be happy and to be content? Will you take the risk and break down the wall that surrounds body image, the standards that tell you, that you're not good enough. The standards that are incorrect.
    Wear that bikini, eat that ice-cream, buy that crop-top, choose to not wear make-up, wear a dress with unshaved legs, have a rest-day from working-out, smile with your teeth on show, don't bother filling in your eyebrows, show your acne, don't hide your scars and your cellulite and your stretch marks, show your fat rolls. Because, who cares? It doesn't matter to me what's on the outside of you, it's what's on the inside. I would much rather prefer to see your kind heart and hear your wise words than look at your flawless make-up and acknowledge your height. 
     Learn to do the same when you look in the mirror. Don't point out what you want to change about yourself, point out what you love about yourself, both inside and out. Wake up everyday and be thankful for the body that you have, if you have working lungs, be thankful. If you have legs, be thankful. If you have ears, be thankful. If you have a body that's only goal is to keep you alive, be thankful.
    You are amazing, you are beautiful, you are loved. It's time to start believing it. Are you ready?
Wordcount-874
Draft 1
happygiggles (:

learn to love your body, break down society's standards. 
"There is nothing wrong with your body, but there is something wrong with the messages that try to convince you otherwise." -Rae Smith.

Review submitted!! :D

• mystifiedtulip

Honestly, I don't even know what to say about this piece. It's beautiful, very relatable, and really thoughtful of YOU to put out there for those who are insecure about things that they don't even HAVE to be insecure about. My favourite part was the ending; "Are You ready?", this really made me wanna hear another part 2 of this amazing speech! In fact, the whole speech was amazing. I could listen to this for hours but not even get bored.... XD what I'm tryna say is that this is very touching, since I am also very insecure about myself. :)

• beth r.

ah thank you for writing this!
    my friend group is really into looks, so this is really relevant to a lot of people i know.
    amazing job!
    re: thank you so much!

• -bellabean-

Wow this is amazing! Very powerful message. Amazing job!

• kealoha

Oooh I love this! I am really passionate about this subject, and you wrote about it so so well! Great job!

I love this so much!!! So powerful! I'd review it but I don't have any critiques so it would be kinda pointless... This is really good!!! <3

Ooh I love this!! I think the quote is incredible too maybe you could put that in the speech :o

• ~Zoe N~

Love this :) Thanks for this! Did you want me to review this one? or the other one you suggested?

I love this!! I'll write a review ASAP.