katnissromanoff

Aspiring actress and writer
ENFP-T
Theater and movie nerd

"Thank you for your consideration." - Katniss Everdeen

"I get emails from a raccoon. So, nothing sounds crazy anymore." - Natasha Romanoff

Hello! I love acting, singing, performing, and obviously writing. I love any books in the historical fiction and mystery genres and some dystopian (well I mean I'm open to any genre). As for movies and shows, I'll really watch anything with romance, comedy, drama, or action.

I constantly start stories, though I rarely finish them.

Currently reading Breathe by Sarah Crossan and Hamilton and Peggy by L.M. Elliot, but I'm always open to book suggestions!

Hope you're having a great day :)

Everyone is Different

Everyone is different. That's something we all know and have been told our entire lives. "Be yourself," they'll say. So we try. We try to do things our own way. Some people do it well and even gain great success from doing it. Others are pushed and prodded until they fit the mold of what everyone else thinks they should be. 

Though society attempts to perfect us, no two people are alike. Another thing that we all know and have been told. Why do people try to get others to be the same? Why does it matter if someone has different skin than you, different hair, or is a different size than you? It doesn't matter to you in the slightest, so why do some people choose to point it out and find other's flaws?

Some people are considered "popular". Why? I don't know. Some people are considered "uncool". Again, I don't know why. I do know though that as a people, we categorize and judge others on their appearance, financial status, practically anything. Almost everyone has judged someone. Has put someone in a category. Some have gone so far as to tell others what they think they are like. It doesn't help anyone by doing this. If someone goes up to another person and tells them how ugly they look today, what does that do for them? It makes them feel bad and self-conscious. 

Someone may tell you that you aren't good enough. Don't listen. If everything about you was just like the girl or boy who sits next to you at school, life would be boring, it really would. Meryl Streep is one of the most well-known actors. Imagine if she had tried to be like everyone else. She may have fit in with everybody, but what would be the point? Would she have gotten to where she is today? She is an iconic person, and nobody else is like her. That makes her special. That's what makes everyone in the world special. If everybody was like everyone else, there wouldn't be a way for people to do what they love or be who they truly wanted to be. No one would be "special".

What if all of your friends were just like each other? What if they were all like you? What if your favorite celebrities were all similar? What if everyone you knew acted similarly? Life would be boring. Instead, let's embrace our differences. The reason that we look up to someone or enjoy being with them is because something about them makes us feel that way. Maybe it's their optimism or their love of sports. Whatever it is, it is something that makes that person unique.

You are kind to your friends even though they're different than you, so why not be kind to everyone? Treat everyone with respect. There is no reason to put anyone down. Everyone is fighting their own private battles that you don't know about. Maybe they are having family issues or health issues. Maybe they just don't have enough support in their life. Don't contribute to people's bad feelings about themselves. Instead, change those feelings.

Did you know that 1 in 5 students report being bullied? That is 20% of the population under eighteen. 20% of people are repeatedly being told that they aren't good enough, they aren't pretty enough, they aren't popular enough. Why do people tell others these things? Why? I couldn't tell you. I can tell you though, that if we all just helped a little more and harmed a little less, we could be better as a whole. Why not change those numbers? Why not make it so only 10% of people report being bullied? Why not make it so less than 1% of people report being bullied? Why not make it so no one reports being bullied?

Changing is hard though. And it is human nature to disagree. It's human nature to like some people and dislike others. While pretty much all of us dislike someone, not all of us are mean to that person. We just avoid them or choose not to be around them because they don't make us feel good. 

If someone is being called names or made fun of because they are different, they are uncool, etc., that isn't fair. Everyone is equal. Nobody is above anybody for any reason. So I leave you with this question; why not embrace and celebrate our differences instead of pointing them out?

I want to thank Busssy.Beee for their amazing review! Any feedback is welcome!
Also, does my in-text citation work? Can you use the link? I was having a bit of trouble putting it in.

• Charisse Marison

Oh my goodness this was amazing! You are totally, right we need to celebrate our differences instead of making people self conscious of them! I didn't know that so many people are bullied, and that breaks my heart. Great speech and good luck in the competition!

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: thank you! Yes, I claimed him as my fictional boyfriend and I’m so LUCKY!!!!

• Coolgirl2020 (LOVE YA ALL)

Replying: Thank you.

By the way, I reread your speech and I see that you did address the other side. I do hope what I said earlier didn’t come across offensive or critical, and I hadn’t noticed that you did address a possible argument in your second to last paragraph, which was very well done. Again, super relatable.

If I may respectfully push back: this is a wonderful speech, well written with both stats and pathos that touches everyone and makes it relatable. And we all can strive to create a better today and a better tomorrow. But because humans are flawed and always will be (despite some amazing qualities and actions), we’ll never fully eliminate hatred, bullying, or judgement.
    So for writing advice, I’d consider adding a rebuttal in response to what I said, and then bringing in a counterclaim to really seal this speech and convince people. If you address the other side but still stick with your gut, then it makes it even more powerful.

• beth r.

this is amazing!
    the links work :)

• rise

wow... this is an amazing and highly educative speech; I am with you here! we've got to embrace our differences because "they are what make us a difference" - and by the way that's the title of my piece, "differences that make a difference"

• bookmagic

I totally agree with this. Speaking from personal expirience, they tell you that you can be different, but really it just makes everything harder. You can't make many friends, people think you're stupid, everyone stops treating you like you have a say because they don't think you can handle "real life conversations". And the worst part is that sometimes even your friends treat you differently. You don't necessarily have to be bullied, being different is hard by default, but I can't stop and neither can anyone else. Anybody who is different will never fit in, so you have to find those weird and "too different" people and you stick together.