Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

sOrRy the piece and footnotes are sooo long!

first dances, first romances

18

it's my school, my gym, but it's different;
full of laser lights, artificial smoke, and students i don't know.
they come from other schools,
(real middle schools, not like our k-8 wannabe)
and they know how to dance with boys.

my only friend here got sick, and
my brother is in the middle of a small crowd
impressing them with dance moves i didn't know he had.

so i am alone, trying not to seem out of place,
yet hoping someone will notice the girl
with colorful hair extensions
and a hand-me-down sequinned dress
that makes me feel like someone else.

perhaps that's why i surprise myself by saying yes
when a mysterious girl asks if i want to dance with a boy.
she pairs me up with a blushing kid with rough hands,
and i wonder why i like it.

the night whirls by, filled with
dances by matchmakers,
and two boys request a second dance.

i'm pulled through the haze
toward a very familiar face.
the girls try to throw us together,
and i'm shocked by my desire to dance
with him.
but he is shy, and i am inexperienced
so we spin away to different partners.

and i could have danced all night,
but instead, i reminisce,
reliving it on the drive home
and i smile myself to sleep.
I felt like recreating my first school dance from 6th grade. My school was super small, so we invited to other, larger schools to fill the space.
Fun fact: My brother sometimes assumes this character/alter ego that we call Alejandro, where he's even wilder than normal and can dance (but not in a way that's expected). This dance was the first appearance of that.
This was also the debut of my mild obsession with blond guys that lasted through all of middle school haha.
The dress I mentioned is one of my favorites; I actually fit in it best when I was in 8th grade, but I still wear it; it's just a tad short now.
Another fun fact: I ended up going to the same church as the kid with rough hands, but he either didn't recognize me or denied it out of embarrassment since he's one of the guys who asked me twice.

• October 4, 2020 - 11:14am (Now Viewing)

• RemovedUser1

Awwww, this is so cute!! I’ve never been to a dance, and I don’t know what I would do if I did, XD. And that Alejandro thing is so funny, XD! Great job!
    Replying: Yeah, stories are always fun to write.
    I bet. Cramps are so terrible. I usually have one day with one really bad cramp, but I’ve heard stories of worse.
    As we’ve been driving my leg has been bouncing and it’s terrible, XD.
    She superglues her cuts??? My science teacher does that, but still.... XD. I don’t think I would do it. I would probably just leave it, but a joint? I’d be crying XD.

• hold on to the memories #NEWYEAR [slightly hiatus]

Relatable as heck in the first three stanzas for me, but the only people who asked me were extremely awkward guys I didn't like. But you did a great job recreating that exact feel that permeated many middle school dances. Top-notch imagery. Middle school is such a crazy time; this poem reflects how important every little moment feels.

• mystifiedtulip

I really like how you described what was happening; it helped me envision what you were experiencing! Great job! :)

This is really nice. We have no prom/dances in India, and honestly u wouldn't attend one if it was there, or I would attend and stand to the side. Actually, I guess I would more likely be the journalist there or the student anchor. Summing it up, I'd rather organise the dance than attend it :)

Ooh this is good XD

• beth r.

ah yes. prom.
    re: that story made my night XD

• Mpm#1

Ah school dances. I love them,(and hate them), so much! So glad you got to have a good experience with one of yours! :)

• happygiggles

replying- Thank you so much for your comment, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes lets crazy things happen to my siblings in dreams xD

Also, this poem is very beautiful, trés bien! (:

this is so cute!! I wanna go to a dance soo bad! The only one i;ve ever went to was a swing dance--which was fun--but like three of my friends were there and i knew basically no one else

• rainydayz

your line about being alone reminded me of one of mac miller’s lines in one of his songs title surf that i relate to so much, “ Yeah, well sometimes I get lonely, not when I'm alone
    But it's more when I'm standing in crowds that I'm feeling the most on my own” anyway awesome piece

• AliMuscles04

That was so cute! And I mean it in a good way. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda jealous XD It was almost like a short story with a bit of poetic essence. GREAT JOB!