Charisse Marison

Fangirl of: Boybands, Sander Sides, Disney
Favorite Broadway musicals: DEH, Waitress and Hamilton
Treat People With Kindness <3
SBIULXEA (unscramble :))

I hope this piece helped you in some way. Peer pressure is so common, and I thought that, as someone who was peer pressured by my so-called friends, I could share some of my "words of wisdom" about how I felt about it.
Love you all!
Char <3

D̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ Do It

9
Prompt: What is peer pressure, and how to recognize it in various forms

Peer pressure is something I think we've all faced, to a degree. It may be something small, like giving your classmate the last cookie because they BEGGED you, even though you were really hungry. Or it could be something a whole lot bigger, such as being peer pressured to smoke or commit a crime. Today, I'm going to discuss both forms and how to say NO.

As humans, we make it a big deal to try to be socially accepted. No one likes to feel left out or alone. We all want to belong to a friend group, or a club, but sometimes we lose ourselves a bit in the process. So much of what we do is based around what others will think of our decision, and this is the root of peer pressure.

Peer pressure is defined in the Merriam- Webster dictionary as "a feeling that one must do the same things as other people of one's age and social group in order to be liked or respected by them". We all have probably felt this way at some point in our lives. Whether it be trying to impress a friend, a classmate, or even a relative, we all have felt the need to impress other people. The real question is, why do we do this?

Now I'm not a psychologist, but I believe that peer pressure is a response to our own insecurities. We all feel down about ourselves sometimes. We all have things we wish we could change, or things we can't stand about ourselves. When we impress other people, it gives us the feeling that we're not so bad. That even with our flaws, people can still enjoy our company. When we are peer pressured by someone, we want to do it because if we're accepted by them, we feel better about ourselves. We get the feeling that we belong, and it makes our self-doubts a little smaller.

Although it can make us feel better about ourselves, we shouldn't give in to peer pressure. If you have the gut feeling that something is wrong, and your moral compass is telling you that it's wrong, you shouldn't ignore these feelings just to feel accepted by someone. You should use your logic and your morality to make the decision instead of the opinions of others. Saying NO is hard sometimes, so today, I'm going to give you different ways to say NO
  1. Confrontation. If someone tells you to do something that you know is morally wrong, tell them how you are feeling. Tell them why you think it is wrong and why they shouldn't do it either. This may cause the person to rethink their choice and feel a little guilty
  2. Self-assurance. You need to have faith in yourself. You need to believe that you are enough, and that doing something that makes you feel uncomfortable or guilty isn't worth making that one person happy. This can be really hard to do sometimes, but telling yourself that you are better than this, that you won't stoop that low to please others, can make it a whole lot easier to say NO
  3. Pride. Peer pressure is also a form of bullying. There are a lot of people who are bullied into doing something bad because they are afraid of what will happen if they don't (ex: being verbally or physically abused). If you are going through something like this, don't be afraid to stand your ground. everything you do in life should be for you and going along with other people when you know it is wrong also wounds your pride. You should feel proud of the things you accomplish instead of guilty and regretful
  4. Seek help. If you are constantly being peer pressured into doing something, seek help from a trusted adult, a good friend, a teacher, or anyone that can help you. Asking for help isn't a crime. It's important to ask for help when you need it
  5. Recognize. If a good friend is asking you to do something that you don't want to do, and they keep pestering you to do it, recognize this peer pressure and tell them about it. Sometimes people don't realize that they are pressuring others and by telling them, they can be aware of their behavior so they can change it
Peer pressure can come in many different forms. It can be hard to identify sometimes, but the biggest way you can tell if you are being peer pressured is by listening to your heart. I know it sounds cheesy, but by listening to your heart, you can make choices that are best for you. By listening to your heart instead of others, you can lead a life that you are proud of and make choices that you know are morally acceptable. 

As someone who was peer pressured by a so-called "friend" into bullying someone else, I know the impact that it has on you. It can be hard to say NO, but trust me, your future self will thank you for it.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Stay safe and stay positive!
-Char
This is where I got the idea, so go check it out!

• October 3, 2020 - 11:42am (Now Viewing)

• Wisp

Also I was thinking of doing a dust jacket, so if you have any questions, just comment on a piece of mine and I'd be glad to add it!

• Wisp

I hit the milestone of 100 followers, and I wanted to personally thank you for sticking with me the whole time Charisse. I remember when you liked my first piece and followed me, you really made my day. I still remember how excited I had been and the thrill of it. You gave me my first smile on this site Charisse, and I know I haven't told you, but truly thank you. You've been my first follower since the beginning, and you've stuck with me since. Thank you so much for all you've given me. It may have just been a like and a follower from you, but it meant the world to me. :)

• Wisp

This piece is both informative and insightful. Your narrative is so well written and it is just amazing how you worked in a few of your own personal judgements into the piece while staying true to the point of peer pressure and the ability to say no. The title is just brilliant, with the strikethrough and everything. It's definitely an amazing informative piece and I just adored it so much. You are such a wonderful writer!

• katnissromanoff

Re: Thank you so so much for your comments! They made my day!!! :):)

Re: Thanks so much! And you're welcome! :D

Thanks so much for this! Some peer pressure can be okay (like when I was encouraged to ride my first roller coaster but no respect would've been lost if I hadn't), but the vast majority of it is so wrong. I appreciate that you took the time to debunk this. Have you considered being an article writer someday? I think you'd be good at it.
    Also, there's a Christian teen girl magazine I love called Brio that takes some unsolicited content from outside writers. If I remember correctly, you're a Christian. If you want, you could change this piece up to have a specifically Christian worldview (but it doesn't have to be super preachy) and then send it in and possibly be paid for it! A little headstart to your potential writing career. Here's the link: https://media.focusonthefamily.com/brio/pdf/brio-writers-guidelines-2019.pdf

• Cosmogyral

hey, this was a good piece, I'm glad you've decided to engage in the prompts

• madeline3.14159

Re: That sucks that your library isn't open yet... :( I would look into seeing if it has an online version... My county library will allow you to put digital books on hold and you can read them through the app... There are three different apps/websites that they use. One called Libby, one called Hoopla, and one called Overdrive. I would recommend checking your library to see. It's the only thing that kept me going while my library was closed and now I just use it all the time because it's just a lot easier. Dex is one my favorites too... :)

• Syzygy (#words) (J.A.M)

This is so true, and so wonderful! <3