charckle7

My name is Charlie. I love reading, writing and playing my flute.Fav Books: Perks of Being a Wallflower, Fahrenheit 451, Mockingbird, and Anything but Typical. Fav Movies/Tv: Jessica Jones, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Inside Out.

Those Cheesy Greeting Cards

3
    When we were little kids we were poor. Not like, dirt poor, but the kind of poor where you can just scrape by. We never had any of the fancy stuff, no nice tablecloths, no fancy star wars bed sheets, just simple. The thing I remember most though was my mom’s obsession with these quotes. They were the kind rich people had hanging around their house on fancy plaques saying stuff like: “Treat every day like it’s your last day”, “Live, Love, Learn”. Obviously we couldn’t afford the stuff but she would gaze at them in the store. Sometimes she’d even check the price tag as me and my siblings tugged at her leg. I’m sure even she knew she’d never find one within our price range. 
    One day she got this brilliant idea. We were in CVS and she was getting a get-well card for my uncle or something and she saw these cards with the same quotes on them. They were nice looking too, and sufficiently cheaper than the plaques. She grabbed a bunch in her arms and when we got home she carefully cut out the front, giving us the inside for scrap paper. Nothing was to be wasted. Using tacks, scotch tape, and even some glue, we hung them around the house. It was a fun project. We thought it was great, I mean, we got to tape things to the walls, a big no-no. For kids it can’t get much better than that. 
    I don’t think I’ll ever forget those cards. They made the house light up. Before it had been drab, with peeling walls and scuffed floors. Suddenly it lit up with colorful words of encouragement. Cheesy, I know. But whenever my siblings or I would come home dragging our feet, complaining about something or other my mom would just point to the cards. 
    “Just look up there, I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for,” she’d say. 
    And the weird thing was, we always did. 

• August 31, 2016 - 11:26pm (Now Viewing)