FantasyOtter12

He/him
ISFJ-T
Scorpio
Love dystopian fiction!
Pianist
Bookworm
Abnegation
*Est. 7/6/20*
OtterFAMMM
Phlegmatic-Sanguine
Pretty perceptive..

~Son of Poseidon (Apparently. I guess it fits cuz...sea otters. Hm)

"Probly easier to skip to the footnotes"
~FantasyOtter12

Blackout Poetry From A Book I'm Reading

12
(Finished product in footnote *I know, backwards lol*)

There would be no harvest. The spring rains woke the dormant tillers, and bright green shoots sprang from the moist earth and rose like sleepers stretching after a long nap. As spring gave way to summer, the bright green stalks darkened, became tan, turned golden brown. The days grew long and hot. Thick towers of swirling black clouds brought rain, and the brown stems glistened in the perpetual twilight that dwelled beneath the canopy. The wheat rose and the ripening heads bent in the prairie wind, a rippling curtain, an endless, undulating sea that stretched to the horizon. At harvesttime, there was no farmer to pluck a head from the stalk, rub the head between his callused hands, and blow the chaff from the grain. There was no reaper to chew the kernels or feel the delicate skin crack between his teeth. The farmer had died of the plague, and the remnants of his family had fled to the nearest town, where they, too, succumbed, adding their numbers to the billions who perished in the 3rd Wave. The old house built by the farmer’s grandfather was now a deserted island surrounded by an infinite sea of brown. The days grew short and the nights turned cool, and the wheat crackled in the dry wind. The wheat had survived the hail and lightning of the summer storms, but luck could not deliver it from the cold. By the time the refugees took shelter in the old house, the wheat was dead, killed by the hard fist of a deep frost. Five men and two women, strangers to one another on the eve of that final growing season, now bound by the unspoken promise that the least of them was greater than the sum of all of them. The men rotated watches on the porch. During the day the cloudless sky was a polished, brilliant blue and the sun riding low on the horizon painted the dull brown of the wheat a shimmering gold. The nights did not come gently but seemed to slam down angrily upon the Earth, and starlight transformed the golden brown of the wheat to the color of polished silver. The mechanized world had died. Earthquakes and tsunamis had obliterated the coasts. Plague had consumed billions.

~Excerpt from The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey 

There The spring rains gave summer golden stems
rippling horizon and teeth of plague
family succumbed, billions Wave
infinite days and nights turned cool
hail and lightning killed strangers
now bound by gold
gently slam upon the Earth
starlight transformed to polished silver
~Thank you for your time
~FantasyOtter12

~I think usually you take a text and cover it up so the words are scattered but here I put it together into lines
~First time trying erasure/blackout poetry- pretty fun :D

• JustAnotherDarling

oh also, this is some lovely writing! As an ex-Ohioan, I'm seeing wheat in a whole new light lol ...but what exactly is blackout poetry?

• JustAnotherDarling

Re: i repeat: sO wHoLeSoMe also I love how your friend joined with ya - none of my best friends are really into writing, but they support mine immensely, so I guess that's what matters most :)
    and :O YOU LIKE THE SONG TOO? "I only showed up to tell you/everyone at this party's a vampire/this ain't red wine" has me SWOONING. and that chord progression at the beginning? there's nothing I love more (at the moment, of course - tomorrow will bring another new song :)

Re: Yay, cool!

• madeline3.14159

Re: I knowwww!!! SO GOOD!! I literally finished Divergent yesterday morning. That ending tho.... It was both heartbreaking and sooo well done at the same time. Probably my favorite book I've ever read that actually manages to do that to the main character well.

Re: Oh jeez you didn't have to do that lol. I'm sure erasure poetry is another name for it that I just haven't heard.

The title confused me lol I've only heard of it called blackout poetry. Anyway, this is really cool.