Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Update (11/16/20): Hey, I'm considering entering this to the Scholastics. Feedback in the comments and/or reviews would be much appreciated!

age of the mind (republishing for peer reviews)

36

remember when we stopped calling them playdates? we were self-righteous eight-year-olds scoffing at the childishness of such a term. i'm not sure which one of us started it, but we all agreed that were now “too old” for it.
    growing up is an absent-minded thing. one day we’re all chubby cheeks and sandboxes, then suddenly we’ve only got two years left. the softness of childhood sharpens as we notice the numbers spiralling upward, taking us with them.
    i can see the newest year i must grow into to and break in like a pair of shiny new shoes… sixteen.
I started writing this a few days ago, and it took a couple days to finish. It's not as good as I hoped it would be, but I figured I had to write something for a birthday this significant.
Anyway, I've been emotionally preparing myself to turn sixteen for a few months, but now that it's here, I'm still completely unready.

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: I kinda lost the other piece I commented on, hehe. Anyway, wow. So true. Thank you. And it’s not that he’s trying to talk to me about his problems constantly or anything, I just worry... you know how it is. Thank you so much. You are very insightful. :)

• mindfruit

Re: Lol, kudos to you for guessing correctly. That's interesting about the whole friends-temperament thing, though I it makes sense, you make friends with people who are like you (though I've never considered F'Otter to be similar to me - our personalities are very different). Kinda funny that your family represents all four types, does that mean you make a good team?

• Tushar Mandhan

Happy birthday!!! May God bless you with good health and all the success.
    re: life was getting clumsy, so was my profile. I needed to take a break and see where was I going. I kinda thought of giving up writing but i didn't leave it. Now everything's fine. Imma have a fresh start!

• tas (yellowbrickrd)

oh and happy birthday! welcome to the club! now you're mean, green and sixteen. or clean, lean and sixteen. k im going to bed.

• tas (yellowbrickrd)

just reviewed this beautiful piece :)

• mindfruit

Oh yes, I remember this! Do send it in please to scholastic!
    Re: Ah, that's cool! My cousins speak foreign languages too. so I just took a test, and I'm....a phlegmatic-sanguine. yay?

Re: Thank you! Oh my gosh I just saw the comment below, I loved Amelia Bedelia! I was actually thinking of it a little while ago and trying to remember what it was called :P

• wil

I still have a sandbox. But our pet rabbit uses it for his bathroom.
    Re: I have actually heard of Amelia Bedelia (I remember those books from preschool). I guess it is actually pretty similar. Never thought of kids books, though.

• Syzygy (#words) (J.A.M)

I really remember. Thank you <3

• Rachaelgrace (hiatus) :)

Love it!!

• beth r.

re: aw its okay i'm fine lol

re: haha thank you!! You have no idea how many takes it took me to get a recording where my voice didn't choke up XD
    also this peace is amazing!!

• Asteraceae

Re: btw my username is pronounced as-ter-a- see- eye. Also, thanks! I like your work.

• RemovedUser1

Replying: Thanks! How do you pronounce Einar? I say “Eenar,” but Momma says “Inar.” How about you?

• RemovedUser1

This makes a lot of sense. I feel like that sometimes, not because I’M old, but because my other siblings are old, and up until recently they wouldn’t play toys and stuff. Now they do though :).
    Anywhoo, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I know this poem is kinda sad, but birthdays are still exciting, right? It’s weird reading this and the comments because I’m 13 and everyone else who I like seems so much older than me. I’ll be 14 in March, which seems a lot older than 13 to me. But, this isn’t about me (even though I keep coming back to me XD) I’m excited for you, 16 is a big number, but I can also understand how your feeling. Maybe something totally amazing will happen and it’ll be worth turning 16!
    (Am I too optimistic...?)

• sci-Fi

Happy 16th! I know this feeling, like you get sucked into the years and suddenly everything's different. I'm not sure when exactly people change, but it's always shocking ones you realize you did.
    Happy birthday, and keep on writing!

• Anlee

happy birthday! hope you got to celebrate and enjoy a day of pure joy in the midst of this mess :) this piece got me reminiscing...i'm sorta close to turning 16 too so this is really relatable.

• mindfruit

Happy Birthday! Enjoy being 16, and keep on writing!

• ByFarStories

Keep writing! I urge you to write more and more, to train your descriptive language!

• beth r.

Happy Birthday! *hugs*
    love this peice!
    re: wow, thank you so much for the support and tips :)

• Landofstories

Happy Birthday!!!

• and_the_stars_laughed

Replying: Aww, thanks for your sweet comments, I'm glad you liked it. :)

Also, Happy Birthday!!!!!!! May you have a wonderful year!!! I've always loved reading your writing and you've always been so sweet and welcoming here -- I still remembered when I first published one of my works on wtw and you commented on it -- it made me smile so big. :D Happy Birthday!!!!

Happy birthday, dear!! Wow, so old—but I see that you're still young at heart and thats the best thing to be :) I wish i had some wise words to inspire you with, but sadly, they've all been taken by Dmoral in that insanely good poem a few comments down ;) still, happy birthday!!! May the year treat you well and fill you with happiness and wisdom!! <3

Re: Thanks! AHHHH HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNE! Wow you're 2 years older than me LOL This is a great piece!

• lochnessie

re: GASP I'M HONOURED :00000

Happy birthday! Sixteen was fun...except learning to drive, it scared me until I mastered it. This is a lovely piece though, really sweet about growing up (I still call my get-togethers with friends playdates though, even though we're all teens, heh heh).

• lochnessie

re: ahh thank you wtw mother :D
    enjoy being sixteen, it's a cool number because you can split it in even halves right down to 1, and not all even numbers can do that...
    okay well enjoy it anyway :)

• Charisse Marison

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS YOU INCREDIBLE PERSON *throws confetti*

• Rohan’s Defender

Happy birthday! I’m sure it feels kind of weird.. I’m going to be 15 in a couple months and I’m not sure what to think. It’s interesting how our brains change so much though. Well, I love this piece! :)

• bookmagic

happy belated, early, or right on time birthday! Getting older can have its disadvantages, but...driver's license?

• aiyanna

I remember this thought process clearly, it's tough, I'm going to turn 18 and while I'm excited, it is sad knowing I'm not going to be a child anymore. But I've found it's really helpful to cling onto yourself, don't see getting older as a reason to have to change yourself. Be who you are, naturally, you will grow, mature, but don't force change. The world around you will push you to "grow up" whatever that means, but cling to that child-like curiosity, to the imagination, and fun wildness. Congrats on turning 16, it'll all settle itself out.

~Thought I otter wish you a happy birthday :)
    ~May this year be unlike any otter :)
    ~Its your birthday, you otter be excited :)
    Happy birthday! (Whenever it is I might be late already)

• madeline3.14159

Yeah... Sixteen is not a label I'm ready for :) At least I have a couple more months of the familiar fifteen. Anyway... Happy Birthday!!!!!!

• Dmoral

belated birthday poetry: comment style
    (hope this doesn't suck, never done this before)

peter pan told me he loved me; i was far too young
    to know what that means & far too old to believe in
    such a thing. so now i pluck the petals of flowers more
    mentally, fearing that'd someone'd see me doing so
    physically. tell me, why can't growing up be easy? at
    least i can hold onto the memories, put them in a vase
    and collect nostalgic tears to water them occasionally;
    yes, childhoods are braided together by fate's hands, and
    maturing means learning that she's not that kind. but when
    it comes to you & your birthday, it feels like i watched a
    seeded beauty become something worth picking; that's the
    thing about pretty flowers, they're always the ones being
    chosen for picking, never left alone to keep growing into
    the more pretty they could become. so love, happy
    birthday from yours truly, an admirer with the pretense
    of a gardener; who now understands what peter pan
    meant when he said he loved me, 'cause i'm whispering
    the words to you now, freely, maturely, kindly.

• ~Zoe N~

Happy birthday! and nice piece :)

• Dmoral

happy birthday bw!!!