Tho Nguyen

cali | her | 14
an aspiring poet
trying to find inspiration in a monochromatic world
est. june 23, 2020

give us back our words.

city angel

11
her lacquered wings smear oil paints across the sky
as falling feathers sing saccharine sonatas
to lull creaking skyscrapers to sleep

whether or not she plucks them, i do not know
perhaps to scatter somnolent symphonies whose
obsidian notes dust the ground
as they wait for the chosen one

her voice pierces through cotton-candy clouds
and melts at the kiss of night
they say her feathers fly across the horizon
and that is what gives sunsets their burning radiance

more and more of her feathers shed, and
she began to fall, closer and closer
to the world she so desired to protect.

city angel, did your tears fall just as your feathers did?

the symphony has long since ended,
split and broken across the corners of the earth
forlorn instruments creak, yearning to quiver with the power of those notes once again

but blank pages are sewn into the legends for a reason
for the journey has just begun.
Just an expanded word vomit that I started in class! Interestingly, I started scribbling this during English while we were discussing Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. 

• Wicked!

This is so beautifully written! The imagery and diction here are brilliant.

• Dmoral

your diction, using words like "lacquered" , "smear" , "saccharine" , & "lull" in the beginning is so so so eye catching and enchanting. i'm obsessed, and even with the smaller words, each one seems hand crafted and dipped in gold, gosh, so good!

"perhaps to scatter somnolent symphonies whose / obsidian notes dust the ground"
    this abstract imagery is everything!! the alliteration you have in the first part and the overall feel is amazing.

"and melts at the kiss of night / they say her feathers fly across the horizon / and that is what gives sunsets their burning radiance"
    favorite lines! i love the description of unique characterization and the metaphors and imagery and diction these lines possess.

"city angel, did your tears fall just as your feathers did?"
    one of the best rhetorical questions i've ever read---the brilliance and symbolism and sorrow her is heartbreakingly beautiful!

"but blank pages are sewn into the legends for a reason / for the journey has just begun."
    talk about an ending, what a punch this packed in such a subtle way!

• Wisp

Replying: Thanks for the birthday wishes, you’re so kind :) Also, I totally get that, sometimes my writing changes drastically in comparison to the first draft.

"the symphony has long since ended,
    forlorn instruments creak, yearning to quiver with the power of those notes once again" thank u for blessing the dash with this *bows*

• Wisp

I am absolutely in love with this. Everything from the personification of some other being to the fact that it was written during a discussion about Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. That first stanza is just so breathtakingly beautiful that no matter what I say can do it any justice. Your writing is just so magnificent and I can't explain how much I adore and love it.

• Dmoral

i'm def gonna properly comment in the morning--stay tuned!

• Moonsinger

so beautiful! :)