Ibex

as in Presbyterian Church in America
Female
Writer
Novelist
Poet!
Reader
Ambivert or something
Band nerd + Drum Major
Planet Earth nerd
etc, etc
Joined September 10, 2019

republishing a piece from a while back because i wanted to

riptide

23
i had a girl once. pretty, with cinnamon eyes and freckles, hair that flew sleek like gull’s feathers in the wind. we walked hand-in-hand along the seashore and talked about getting married, buying a house on the ocean and swimming in the waves, raising a family here and taking pictures of tiny footprints in the sand.

she always did love the sea. it called to her, whispering of hidden cities and lost treasures, clamshells and silvery fish scales whirling into schools, sparkling like diamonds. she’d pick through the driftwood after summer storms, searching for seaweed and shark eggs.

there was a far-off look in her eyes that day, the day she told me i couldn’t give the world to her even though i’d always promised it. diamonds weren’t enough for her; she wanted pearls and rubies and gemstones only to be found in the deepest, darkest trenches of the world’s oceans. she wanted to swim, to be one of the fishes.

she never said goodbye. she merely smiled sadly at me and ran into the waves, diving beneath the crest and flying out of sight. i should have wrapped kelp around her waist like sea otters do their pups, to anchor her. but she was wild and full of unbridled wanderlust, dreaming of the big blue and all it could offer her. the sirens called to her from across the sea, their voices wily and dripping with impossible promises, and she was too enraptured to resist, disappearing beneath the foam. i called her name, but she never looked back.

1

• happygiggles

This is amazing! The imagery is just fascinating!!

Re- Thank you so much for enlightening me! I was just a little bit confused on capitalization, so thank you so much for educating me! :D

• Zirong

I adore the title so much... and this piece really took my breath away :0

• Rachaelgrace (hiatus) :)

oh my goodness this is so gorgeous <3 wonderful job with the imagery and message!

• psithurism #words [Sunnydew]

Ooh I love pretty much everything about this! Absolutely wonderful!

Have you heard the song How Can It Be by Lauren Daigle? It's so good I think you'd really like it.

• sci-Fi

A perfect balance of beautiful, adorable, and heartbreaking

• RemovedUser1

This is so beautifully sad. I can feel it. I don’t know how you feel writing but I do. And the emotion here is subdued yet so strong. Love the imagery as well. Great piece, yet so terrible. (Also, I think FOtter just cheered all of us up XD)

Basically just read what everyone else is saying—i totally agree with them! This is am amazing piece!!! Wow... <3

• madeline3.14159

WOW. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. So let me reiterate. ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!!! Love it!

• Rohan’s Defender

Aww, this is so sad, sweet, poetic, beautiful, and heartbreaking at the same time. AND YOUR IMAGERY IS PHENOMENAL!!! Wow! Hi, I’m Eden! Nice to meet you!

Lol I love how FOtter (just made that up rn) is losing his mind over your line about otters haha

oh this is so heartbreaking but so so poetic and becomes even more beautiful as you keep reading. This is stunning!! Your wording *deep sigh of contentment* so poetic!! I can picture your imagery so vividly. I can't even describe how stunning this is.

• amazing grace

Is there any way I can pray for you?

omgomgomg "i should have wrapped kelp around her waist like sea otters do their pups, to anchor her." This is probably my FAVORITE line i've ever read on wtw, both coz I resonate with it and...well...otters :P

• Bhavya's Treasure

Ahhh! Your descriptions are impeccable! I wish she'd not been so wild! T-T
    Lowercase is doing wonders here. Great job!
    Title is so well chosen.

Aww, this so bittersweetly lovely