birthdaycandles

Ireland

Just a 19 yr old aspiring to be something like a living, walking (and writing) hug.
...also...
Catholic
Musician
Cake enthusiast
Crochet kid
Older sister to @happygiggles
-Joined Sept 2019-

My favourite poet of all time is Christina Rossetti <3

Pandemic paranoia

14

Even though the cage door has swung open,
I am afraid to fly into the unknown.
The cage made me feel trapped, but it was mine.
It is my safe and secure home.

Everyone is eager to leave and spread their wings.
They want to burn the cages and be free.
They fly up and swoop across the sky, happy as larks.
When I can't share their happiness, I think there is a problem with me.

Why are they flying so high, do they not see the hawks circling?
My warning squawks are drowned out by their birdsong.
They do not care about the threat, me, or anyone else.
The song goes on until it turns quite out of tune.

The hawks dive down into the flock at a fierce speed.
They pick off the weakest first - the elderly, the sick, the vulnerable.
Once all is done they retreat to their cages, eyes sunken, heads low.
The most striking silence follows and gazes fall to the cages that remain empty, never to be filled again.

This piece is an analogy of COVID-19 and the effects of it if people abuse the easing of lockdown measures. The hawks are symbolic of the virus.

It's so incredibly important we all do our part to protect ourselves and others by wearing a mask, social distancing and NOT meeting up with your friends during this time. You never know who you pass is going home to, or what their situation is at home, and who they might be in contact with that is particularly vulnerable.
I went back to school today, and some people have no respect for social distancing or any of the other measures. Going back to school/work does not mean "going back to normal" it means going back to a new normal, and it's going to be difficult to adjust. This virus doesn't go away just because we're going back to school/work. We have no idea how nervous/anxious some people are trying to go back to school, so please please just do your part, and we can protect the vulnerable and get through this.

God bless everyone and stay safe :)

I'm late, I know I know, but this piece just speaks to me. I get what you're trying to say. Just because the lockdown's been lifted, life isn't normal yet. As you said, there's a new normal now, and we all still need to respect boundaries

• Starting Anew! (still Coolgirl though)

Just reviewed this!

Replying: Yeah that piece is pretty literal. Thanks so much for praying. <3

• midnight.summerrose

Re: Thank you are you still free, can you review my draft 2 if possible? It will be out in a few minutes.

• midnight.summerrose

Great analogy, love it! It’s a brilliant piece and will hopefully get people to not act stupidly and work together. Stay safe :)
    Please may you review my Historical Fiction piece, I’m in desperate need of reviews! :)

• doodleninja

this analogy, this metaphor of the cage and hawks circling overhead, is PERFECT! I love how you expanded on this topic :)

(And thx so much for the kind comment on my piece XD)

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: thank you, B.C.! Yes, he is perfectly fine now! Thank you. Yeah, I’m sure that is hard since it’s kind of restricted what you can do. I feel horrible for all the Seniors who had to miss prom and everything! But anyway, I always love hearing from you, and I hope you stay safe!!! :)

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

This is really awesome and the analogy is really clear!!! It is beautifully written!!!! Love it and such a relevant message. And love the last sentence.

• acrosstheuniverse28

Such a perfect analogy, and so well written!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Wow! Great piece here! My dad had this virus, so I know how important it is to stay healthy!

• birthdaycandles

ok i am so drained and exhausted after today being my first day back so i'm gonna go to sleep now byeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz zzz zzz..