Hayden

I am a student at BART Charter Public School; my first competition is based on the book King Leopold's Ghost.

I would like to know what I can do better, what I can add, grammar mistakes, and missing information.

Digital Maturity

Lately, while playing video games online such as Grand Theft Auto, shooters such as Call of Duty, Titanfall, Battlefield, and other online games, I have noticed an increase in the number of kids who attend and play these games. All of these games, plus many more, have a labeled "M" on the front of the box, meaning "Mature - Only 17 and Up". As I play these games, it is very noticeable to hear children over the microphone headset, and for some reason, 99% of these children, are always angry, and acting as of older age. Many other online players refer to kids playing "M" rated games as "squeakers", for having high pitched voices. Periodically, through out an online match, or party, kids are the ones speaking the most, trying to get attention, swearing continuously, and honestly, most of them are annoying nuisances. Why are parents letting kids play games with such heavy violence attached to them, especially the Grand Theft Auto saga? Do parents not see the "17 and Up" on the box? Do they not flip it over to check content, which is labeled, and very obvious on the back, stating things like "Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language, Use of Tobacco and Alcohol, Nudity, Suggestive Themes". These are most of the attributes that will be labeled upon the worst of mature games. Children playing these games or noticeably rude, loud, vulgar, and use curse words continuously. I personally hate the Call of Duty games, but I will admit to playing them, and only hearing children all the time, when trying to enjoy an already terrible game, creates a negative impact of my feelings toward that game. I don't know why, but on personal experience, when playing Call of Duty and/or Titanfall, I will hear kids spout nonsense such as "I will hack you, you're a f**, shut the f up" and will scream when they are on the losing side. But when playing games such as Halo and Grand Theft Auto, I have noticed a far decrease in children, and have met mature folks ending the game with a "good game" or "that was awesome". This may relate to the decisions of what kids play. Call of Duty, while terrible, is also very popular, like Justin Bieber. Because it is popular, among teens and adults as well, I feel as kids choose to play these games to conform to the older part of the gaming society. But to the other question in the prompt, should these games be banned? Absolutely not. Kids indeed are exposed to the mature content, but buying them is optional, and it is most likely a parent figure buying it for the kids. Video games are a release from the stress of the real world, from the negative aspects of life. When playing games, I have access to speak and have unlimited amounts of fun with my friends across online play and talk. These games should not be banned. They have markers and let the customer buying know what to expect. Video games are equivalent to listening to music, or watching a movie, they are entertainment for the consumer, and a way to have a good time with friends.

1