Image

Isabel Sachi Kojima

Activists Against Slacktivists

1

The term “slacktivists” refers to those who take action in support of a certain social cause without vigor, resulting in little outcome. In recent years, this strain of people has become increasingly prevalent in society.

For example, the phenomena of “No-Shave November”, that was instituted to raise awareness for cancer. This month, in which you would stop shaving, required little effort from the participants, and few onlookers would see a man with a beard and make the realization of: “Hey! That man has a beard. I should donate money for cancer research”. Furthermore, this form of slacktivism was, in many cases, publicized not for the cause it represented to the campaign creators, but for the comic event it represented to the participants.

It is very easy to succumb to slacktivism. You can campaign, walk, and protest for five different causes in any given month, and not stop to question what kind of dent you are truly making. Slactivists are motivated by personal recognition. They do what society characterizes as activism, and make little impact on the actual causes, just to portray themselves as do-gooders in the eyes of others.  

We all have the capacity to make a significant difference, but that takes concentrated, thorough focus on singular issues at singular times. We can do better than dumping ice on our heads and choosing not to shave for a month.

“The difference between try and triumph is a little umph”