emily.mcnally

Narratives. Poems. Stories.
Anything like that is my jam.
Photography and film making focused.
Type 6 INFP
Love reading. Got any books recs? Let me know!

Any feedback is welcomed! For this I just wrote what I felt in terms of sports being cancelled. I didn't exactly have an outlet to write all this before, so this is essentially my main thoughts and feelings in somewhat of a memoir format.

Those Bright Field Lights

On evening walks I can't help but stare longingly at the soccer turf as I pass by. Despite no teammates in sight I can't help but be drawn to the lit up field, like a moth drawn to flame. If I tried hard enough I could make out my teammates getting ready for practice. Cleats on, pony tails swishing under the bright field lights. I can smell the aesthetic turf as I make my way across the field. Feel the bite of the night air as I take off my jacket and get ready for practice.
    Every time I pass the field I have to reign myself in. I have to remind myself that there is no practice, that my team mates aren't there. I have to remind myself that I should just keep walking, there isn't anything there for me right now.
    It's been months but I can still feel the atmosphere of warm ups and stretching circles. Blood thrumming through my body as the stress and anxiety of the day all but evaporates. All the memories are so vivid. I could pin point the mood of an evening practice to an afternoon game. The feeling of playing on turf compared to unruly grass.
    Our journey as a team got cut short to say the least. There was so much potential, so many memories just waiting to be made, people to learn about. Sure, looking straight into the sun during practices wasn't the best, but I would take that over nothing any day. When I got to soccer practice everything else disappeared. School, scores, worries, gone. I don't know how, but something inside me becomes freer. On days that weren't my best, practice was always an escape, for it felt like something unrelated to the real world. The pressure was off and it was as if I had the permission to simply exist.
    I haven't felt that way in a while, that addictive feeling of anticipation when I know we have practice today. The adrenaline circulating through my system as I spot my team on the grass, casually sitting in a loose circle. Or the utter joy I practically radiate upon sitting down and joining a conversation. I haven't felt that way in while... and I miss it.
    So as I pass by the empty field on my evening walks, I wait eagerly until we can all safely return. It has been long, too long, but as I turn away from the bright field lights, I know it will only make the reunion that much better.

• Book Kitten

This super good!!!!!
    Just like mindfruit said, you did a great job of putting us in your cleats!!

• BirdofPrey

WOW. This is awesome! I love your passion! I miss sports, too. It makes you feel better about stuff when you're on a field or court

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: aww, thank you so much! I really appreciate the comment! Also, have you read The Lord of the Rings or he Hunger Games?

• BizzleWrites

I absolutely love this! I don't play soccer but I do miss some of my activates (Horse riding/co-op/art group) this much. This is a really great piece.

Good job on getting feautured!

• ava09

aw this is gorgeous. i play soccer too, and i also miss it - i'm lucky though because my school is doing contact days so we're able to practice for 20 days total this fall (but we have to wear masks the whole time which is tough, but i'm just pretending it's conditioning haha). this is a really beautiful piece for a beautiful game. <3 do you like to watch soccer too or just play?

• barelybear

Wow this is so beautiful! Well done on being picked too :)

• sci-Fi

Congrats on Wednesday Words!

• Rohan’s Defender

Gorgeous!! I love this! Congrats on being picked! :D What kind of books do you like, and I might just have some good recommendations!

• Hannah Friesen

Thank you so much for this piece! It feels very personal! I also responded to this prompt, but I think you did a much better job of answering than I did:)

• mindfruit

Wow, what a well-written and emotional piece. I'm a basketball player, and I definitely feel the same way each time I pass by a court. Love the sensory details and that last sentence, " It has been long, too long, but as I turn away from the bright field lights, I know it will only make the reunion that much better.". You did an amazing job of putting us in your shoes (or should I say cleats). By the way, if you're looking for a some book recommendations, here are some: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (fantasy and very long but an awesome book), Keeper of the Lost Cities (fantasy, kind of like Harry Potter), and The Hunger Games.

Also, are you new to Write the World? If so, welcome! This community is really great.