erin!

叶安灵 // 16, 2022 // she-her-hers
hey hey

Thank you all for the love on my last post. I hope you like this one! Thanks for taking a few minutes out of your day to pay attention to me.

houses side by side with a very large divide

10

Whenever I’m feeling lost, I try to remind myself that I’m living somebody else’s dream. There’s a little girl, not too far from here, who has no idea what freedom means. I work hard to keep myself afloat when my thoughts become too heavy but I’m still cognizant of the fact that if I were to drown, there would be people who’d come get me. And justice would be served.

I wish I had the luxury of reminiscing on past decades. If I were alive in the 50s, wearing an oh so cute poodle skirt, I don't believe that it’d be great. Instead there would be hate. I don’t think of skirts, I think of war and anger and ugly words that hurt.

I see beautiful people being imperfect: kind souls who are impossibly indifferent to the pain of other beings. Mistakenly, I thought we had evolved past tribes. I didn’t know that partisan politics could produce such lethal knives. 

My thoughts hold protests in my mind, inflamed and engorged and swollen. These are trying times. A single mother cries.
The dinner table seems to shrink as the glass crashes to the ground with a clink clink clink.

Sometimes it seems that my favorite things come when I'm sitting at my desk and let my brain go on autopilot.

• September 3, 2020 - 8:32am (Now Viewing)

• inanutshell

you've done it again! another amazing piece - love the rhymes here and how you've portrayed the notion of divisiveness: "I see beautiful people being imperfect: kind souls who are impossibly indifferent to the pain of other beings. Mistakenly, I thought we had evolved past tribes. I didn’t know that partisan politics could produce such lethal knives." also really love the line "My thoughts hold protests in my mind, inflamed and engorged and swollen. These are trying times." very true, and very aptly put.

also lol can totally relate to your footnotes. love the rare moments where my brain seems to know what it wants to do.

• madeline3.14159

"I see beautiful people being imperfect: kind souls who are impossibly indifferent to the pain of other beings." I don't know why this sentence hit so hard. This is such an amazing piece!

• abby.a

This is incredibly interesting and nearly breathtaking. It really has given me an added perspective on life. Thank you for this! Its very well written, and truly just an amazing piece

• waxingcrescents

This is so interesting! I love how you've written this; you are such a talented writer.