Doodleninja

INFx-T
9w1

Full-time doodler
Comic artist
Hardcore Introvert
social anxiety gang
Mexipina (Mexican-Filipina)
Obsessed with music
Homeschool squad, yeah!

Soli Deo Gloria!

If you're new to the Stereo Tropes Co. fam, welcome!
This is a series where story tropes run amuck! Search up "Stereo Tropes Co." in the search bar and follow the numbers to read them in order!
---------
If you want to be notified whenever a new installment comes out, drop a comment below!
--------
Always be on the lookout for hot potato lamps :)

Given that No One Died from Exploding Potatoes Today, I'd Call This Science Fair a Success | Stereo Tropes Co. (10)

19

"I feel bamboozled."
    Prose hummed at her coworker's statement as she tapped her fingers on her clipboard. 
    Thinker fidgeted with the name label on his sports coat and raised an eyebrow at her. "What? No sarcastic comment?"
    "If you can believe it, Thinker, I'm actually looking forward to this event," she said without making eye contact, instead focusing on the doors ahead as they climbed the stairs to the school gymnasium. "But...why do you feel bamboozled?"
    "Because the boss said this would be a fun, relaxing assignment. He never gave ANY indication that we'd have to represent Stereo Tropes Co. at a flippin' middle school as guest judges for their SCIENCE FAIR," Thinker threw his hands up. "And having to listen to middle schoolers drone on about experiments like dyeing their rabbit's fur blue, or, dramatic gasp, how they made a homemade volcano, such an original idea, is not my definition of fun. Or relaxing."
    Prose smirked at him. "I think you have enough sarcasm to satiate your dry humorous needs."
    "It's like when the teacher asked for 'special volunteers' but then they just told you to go make copies of a worksheet in the office," Thinker said as a girl carrying a poster-board passed them. "Nothing special about that."
    Prose couldn't hold in her chuckle. "And I'm assuming you fell for that trick many times?"
    Thinker only grumbled. "And to think for this, I gave up air-conditioning and pineapple juice."
    "Well, I'm not sure you'll run into many volcanoes here. Didn't you read the email the principal of the school sent us?" Prose said as they both paused at the top of the stairs. 
    "Oh, the one whose subject was 'VERY IMPORTANT INFO FOR JUDGES, READ IMMEDIATELY'?"
    "Yeah."
    "No, I didn't."
    Prose shot him a look. "...right, well, before I inevitably get mad at you, I guess I'll inform you that there was a theme to this year's science fair."
    Thinker waited for her to continue. 
    "The students were tasked with trying to create a potential new product for Stereo Tropes Co.!"
    Prose grinned. 
    Thinker laughed.
    At first, Prose laughed along (though she was not entirely sure why), but then Thinker stopped abruptly. 
    "So you mean to tell me," he began. "That a bunch of tweens, with not even fifteen years of life experience, and all probably sharing a single brain cell among them, tried to make a new Stereo Tropes Co. product, something already unreliable half the time, and the school staff are confident that this building isn't going to collapse on itself by the end of today?"
    "...yes."
    "The boss hates us."
    "...perhaps."

------------------

The first contestant on Thinker and Prose's list offered candy to both of them as soon as they approached her table.
    Thinker raised an eyebrow at the girl. "Is this a bribe?" 
    "Only if you want it to be!" she grinned. 
    "She's scary," Thinker muttered to Prose. 
    "She's perfect," Prose said with a slightly worrying evil glint in her eyes. 
    "Alright!" the girl spread her feet and planted her arms on her hips. "My name is Jane and today I am presenting the...Relatable Flaw-o-nator!"
    With accompanying theatrical hand motions, the girl stepped to the side to reveal her contraption, which resembled a crossbow.
    "My hypothesis," she began. "People don't want one-dimensional Character Products, they want fake people with real problems! So! With this invention, one injection from one of these arrow will automatically give you a relatable flaw!"
    Jane picked up her device and pointed it at them. "If I may."
    Thinker took a step backwards. "Oh no, I don't think so--"
    KA-CHOONK.
    "OW!" Thinker's hand shot to his arm where an arrow was now planted. "Hey, I don't feel any different--WHOA!"
    Thinker tripped over his own shoes and fell to the ground. He tried to get up, but only then proceeded to stumble over thin air and crash into a nearby table, sending papers flying up into the air. 
    "The HECK is going on?!" he cried as he attempted to regain his balance. 
    "I made you clumsy!" Jane said. 
    Prose put a hand on her hip. "That's not a relatable flaw."
    "Of course it is!" the contestant retorted. "Every good female heroine has this flaw."
    "But it's NOT a flaw. It's more like a quirk," Prose frowned. "A flaw would be like debilitating self-doubt, or pride, or idiotic recklessness, but clumsiness?!"
    Jane aimed the crossbow at her with a glare. "Do you want me to give you really bad acne?"
    "THAT'S NOT A FLAW EITHER--AGH!"
    Prose staggered backwards and barely caught Thinker as he stumbled into her. He muttered a sorry but Prose was too busy looking the other way and trying not to think too much about the fact that his head was on her shoulders. 
    Now practically hugging him, Prose dragged him away to the next project, before Jane could infect her with a bad hair day.

---------

The second contestant appeared laid back enough, given that he was snoozing on a nearby couch. 
    "Um, excuse me?" Prose waved her hand. "Are you awake?"
    The boy's eyes shot wide open and as he sat upright he shouted, "--AND THAT'S WHY I HAVE SELF-ESTEEM ISSUES."
    He turned to the judges. "Oh, hi there. Just testing to see if my experiment still works."
    Thinker raised an eyebrow. "...the couch is your science project?" 
    The boy nodded and gestured to his poster board. "I call it 'Comfort and Conviction'! Once you sit on it, you automatically start revealing all your deepest inner wants and fears. It's like a therapy session that can make even the most tight-lipped person spill their guts."
    "If that's true, then that's very impressive," Prose tapped her chin with her pen. "Thinker, I think you'd be the perfect test subject."
    Thinker tensed and instinctively shielded himself with his clipboard. "HUH?! Why me?!"
    "Though you may be very emotional, I haven't exactly heard anything deep from you, besides when you mutter in your sleep."
    "I MUTTER IN MY SLEEP?!" Thinker flinched. "Wait, what do I say? What do you know about me? What do you hear? Are you lying? Tell me you're joking."
    Prose turned to the contestant. "Yep, he's perfect."
    "Hey!" Thinker protested. "I don't think this couch is up to standards with the new ordinance the City Council passed concerning fluffiness and sturdiness of said seating platform, for example, the cushions must be in direct proportion to the diameter of the Earth--OOF."
    With a slight shove from his coworker, Thinker flopped onto the couch. 
    He sat there in silence. 
    "Haha, see?" he relaxed and folded his arms. "Even this thing can't make me--"
    Like lightning had just struck him, Thinker's whole body went rigid for a moment.
    Then he started to cry.
    "It's just..." Thinker bawled. "They ask you how you are and you just have to say that you're fine when you're not really fine but you just can't get into it because they'd never understand. They always ask 'Who is Thinker' or 'Where is Thinker' but never...'How is Thinker'. I answer their questions but no one ever answers mine, they walk all over me..."
    "I can't help but feel a bit intrusive at this point," Prose muttered as Thinker babbled on, but the contestant was too busy sobbing as well.
    "Can't you see he's hurting inside?" the contestant wiped away snot from his nose. "Please...promise me you'll be there for him when no one else will."
    Prose rolled her eyes but scribbled in the comment box on her judging sheet: "If this kid wins, have the couch come with free box of tissues for advertising campaign."

-----------

"I swear it's like some of these kids have never heard of safety procedures and guidelines," Thinker's pen flew across the paper, splattering the page with red ink. "If I ever became principal of this school, I'd make the City Codes required reading."
    "And if you ever became principal of this school, I'd never send my children here," Prose smirked as she scanned the room for projects they hadn't viewed yet. So far, Thinker had dismissed every single one for various reasons that mostly all centered around 'violating such-and-such ordinance' or 'public safety hazard' or even 'I'd rather walk on a tightrope over a volcano in space with a rabid duck chasing me before I ever went near your...diabolical contraption'.
    "There's gotta be one you liked," Prose flipped through the forms on her clipboard. "What about the hot potato lamp, whose only purpose is to look pretty and be saved by the male protagonist?"
    "That thing is an explosion waiting to happen," Thinker crossed his arms. "Really gives another meaning to bombshell beauty."
    "Okay, what about the Miscommunication Slime that turns one little misunderstanding into a conflict that rages for an unreasonable length of time?"
    "Do you know how many people will get sick of that quickly? The hospitals will be overrun."
    "Or what about that girl's study of how much you hate a person is in direct proportion to how much you secretly love them? We could use that for a Love Interest product."
    "I fear some cross-contamination may occur between 'healthy couple' and 'abusive relationship' from that experiment."
    "There's that girl who figured out how to break the Fourth Wall."
    "I don't think the readers would like it if I picked a project we skipped over in the story."
    "...huh?"
    "Never mind," Thinker said and winked at the camera.
    Prose huffed. "Come on, Thinker, they can't all be that bad! I mean, why do you even care so much? You didn't bother to read the principal's email, you didn't even meet me on time here, but you care enough to check every contestant's project against Health Codes and--and you care about PINEAPPLE JUICE?!"
    Tugging his lips into a frown, Thinker shifted his weight to the side. "Do you have a problem with that?"
    Prose opened and closed her fists. "I just want to know why."
    "Maybe there's not a reason," he shrugged. "Maybe that's just who I am. Or maybe it's because I actually care about people, and I want to make sure they're safe. Or maybe it's because I want to be an excellent employee, and I want our company to create the ​best products, because APPARENTLY, NO ONE ELSE cares."
    Prose gripped her clipboard. 
    Thinker capped his pen. "I think there's one more project over there."
    As he stalked off, someone started clapping next to Prose. She turned. It was the boy from the 'therapy couch'.
    "Wow. You made him talk and he wasn't even sitting in my invention," he grinned. 

----------

When Prose caught up, the contestant was already starting his presentation. 
    "Welcome you marvelous, beautiful, stupendous, amazing judges!" the boy bowed to Prose and gave her a wink. "And did I mention beautiful?"
    "I admire the use of shameless flattery, but don't even try it on me, kid," Prose deadpanned, brandishing her sharp fountain pen, and he backed off with a nervous laugh. 
    "Um, anyway," the contestant cleared his throat. "My name is Henry, Henry David Thoreau, and here is a, ahem, thorough explanation of my science project."
    Prose suppressed an extreme eye-roll while Thinker coughed loudly into his arm. 
    "I present to you this scientific extraordinaire," Henry rapped on the table imitating a drumroll, before unveiling his device under the white blanket. "BEHOLD! PLOT ARMOR!"
    Henry mimicked trumpet fanfare as Prose and Thinker indeed beheld what seemed to be a giant chest-plate made of...styrofoam. Eye-scorching, neon green styrofoam. 
    "Is this a violation of any Health Codes?" Prose asked her coworker. 
    "This is a violation of my eyes," Thinker blinked rapidly. 
    Henry fitted the chest-plate onto his body, the styrofoam making squeaky noises. "Plot Armor will protect any character from any nasty unfortunate circumstances they may find themselves in, including poison, falling from great heights, and more! Based on research indicating that important characters never seem to die when they should, I applied these data points in creating this stunning invention."
    "Stunning is right," Prose muttered as she struggled to make eye contact while he was garbed in such an...attention-grabbing hue. 
    "Now for a demonstration," Henry waddled over to his table and his hand reached for a rope that hung from the ceiling. 
At the same moment both Prose and Thinker noticed the large anvil swinging above the boy, Henry gave the rope a tug and was subsequently smothered by said object.
    Prose shrieked and started towards him, but by some miracle, Henry had survived. 
    "Ah, see!" he said as he stood up, brushing dust off his Plot Armor. "Fit as a fiddlestick!"
    Prose stared at him. "But--but that's just STYROFOAM!"
    "Not just any styrofoam," Henry beamed and tapped his chest-plate. "Home Depot styrofoam. And purple glue sticks. Along with some modifications of course."
    "There's not a scratch on you!" Prose grinned and began writing her score on the judging sheet. "Thinker this is incredible--"
    "Not so fast," Thinker locked eyes with Henry. "Tell me, are you aware of Stature Three, Paragraph A of the National Health Association's Mandates on Public Safety and Well-being?"
    "I...wasn't aware that this would be required knowledge," Henry gave a nervous smile. 
    Thinker bared his teeth in what looked like a smile, but more closely resembled the expression of a lion ready to pounce on its prey. "Well, it states, that any device that creates a dangerous environment, or imposes a threat on any human's safety, shall be prohibited from use, on the penalty of two years in jail. And THAT, I believe, is a clear example of such reckless ingenuity."
    Prose and Henry followed Thinker's pointer finger to a spot in the floor where there now was a large, gaping circular chasm.
    "Is that a Plot Hole?!" Prose immediately backed away from it. 
    Henry stammered as he flipped through his research journal. "B--But that's not possible! There must've been some miscalculation--!"
    "Miscalculations have NO PLACE in our company! I pity you for even thinking that your little styrofoam shirt could earn a place in our product line," Thinker balled his hands into fists. "Now someone go fix this hole!"
    He glared at Henry, then Prose. The poor kid looked ready to cry. 
    "No? No one will fix their own mess, so I'm the one who has to take care of everything? TYPICAL! ABSOLUTELY TYPICAL."
    "Wait Thinker!" Prose tucked her clipboard under her arm and marched up to him. "I'll take care of this. You apologize to Henry. And I'm going to leave choosing the winning project up to you, because obviously you know best."
    She stuffed all her judging sheets into Thinker's hands and stormed off to find a mop.

-----------

"Thank you students for participating in Just Another Middle School's first ever Stereo Tropes Co. themed Science Fair!" the principal motioned for the crowd to clap. As Prose applauded from her spot on the stage, she couldn't help but notice a certain fluffy-haired coworker was nowhere to be seen.
    "Now, here are our two special judges, Prose and Thinker to announce the winner!" the principal stepped aside.
    Prose took the podium and adjusted the microphone. "Right, well, my co-judge isn't exactly available at the moment, but I've made the decision and the winner is...the winner..."
    She couldn't finish the sentence. The name was right there, ready to be spoken, but Prose couldn't allow herself to declare a winner without her partner. She scanned the throng for any sign of Thinker, but to no avail. 
    "I don't even know if there should be a winner," Prose finally let out and the crowd gasped appropriately. "You all have such great ideas, but the execution was...lacking."
    "So we're all losers?!" a girl yelled. 
    "No! I mean, you all just need...a little help!" Prose smiled. "You kids have potential and I...I care about your futures so...so how about this? I'm in Production at Stereo Tropes Co. and if you all send me your experiments, I'll see what I can do with them."
    Everyone stared at her with blank faces. 
    Prose tugged at the collar of her shirt.
    "Sounds good to me!" a person raised their hand and soon the others chorused their agreement, along with some questions like "will I get royalties for my child's invention" and "how will I deliver a couch through the mail?"
    "An unpredicted outcome, but favorable nevertheless," the principal said to Prose.
    "Yes, well, I'm gonna regret this when they start sending whoopee cushions in the mail so might as well enjoy it now," she shrugged. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted the stage curtain rustling, like someone was trying to move it aside. 
    A few seconds later, Thinker emerged onto the platform. 
    "THINKER!" Prose rushed to him. "Where were you?!"
    "Well I went to find a quiet spot so that I could read all your notes and scores. You did a very detailed job, I'm impressed," he smiled and waved the stack of papers in his hand. 
    "What? Why!?"
    "Because you said I should pick a winner and we are co-judges, so your opinion counts. Plus, I always care about what you have to say."
    Prose prayed Thinker couldn't see the heat she was certainly feeling in her face at the moment.
    "Um, right, well you see Thinker," Prose started. "I already kinda chose the winner."
    She explained to him what she had told the students and Thinker nodded along.
    "I like it. So let me get this straight: everyone here is sending their experiments to Stereo Tropes Co.?"
    "Just about."
    Thinker smirked. "I have the perfect idea. Oh, but before I forget, here are your papers back."
    He handed them to Prose and walked away. 
    She glanced at the top sheet, where Thinker had scribbled in his red pen: Sorry for yelling at you earlier. I still like you, bitter-brain  :)

---------

Some time later at the Stereo Tropes Co. building...

Print opened his office door to find a small package on the floor. Odd. He didn't remember ordering anything. He picked it up and read the address it was from; it wasn't familiar. Someone had written 'Science Fair Project' on the packaging. 
Intrigued, he opened it and the contents dropped into his hand. 
    It was a potato.
    A very hot potato. 
    And it was glowing too, like it was supposed to be some...hot potato lamp.
    "What the..." Print stared at it as it shined brighter and brighter and brighter--
    KA-BOOM!

"Told you that was an explosion waiting to happen."

Don't worry, no serious harm was brought to Print in this prank pulled by Thinker :)

Stories combining various tropes are honestly much easier to write than a piece focusing on just one trope. If you have ANY suggestions for future topics, I would LOVE to hear them.

Also, I asked for name suggestions for the Giant Unicorn from the last story, and Anne Blackwood suggested "Lord Frou Frou" which I immediately connected to, so thank you for the wonderful name. XD

Hope you enjoyed this (rather long) installment and have a splendiferous day!

• ANSON REYNOLDS

i have no words
    ur characters aaaahahahahahahahahahahaa theyre perfect
    and you know your writing is great bc you make me lose all my grammar and punctuation - usually my comments are pretty and capitalized and have correct usage of apostrophes. not for you <33 :)

• haunted.by.words (#queenie's halloween)

So. Many. Awesome. Tropes. MORE!!!

(probably gonna be a long comment so, bewareee-)
    ah yess the classic friends-to-lovers banter ooOh. AHHHH YOU DID THE TROPES THE TROPES THE TROPES ABOUT TEENAGE GIRLS AND QUIRKINESS. "He muttered a sorry but Prose was too busy looking the other way and trying not to think too much about the fact that his head was on her shoulders. " AWWW. also omg i get intense "you drool when you sleep" percabeth vibes.."They always ask 'Who is Thinker' or 'Where is Thinker' but never...'How is Thinker' im SCREAMING THAT'S MY FAVOURITE MEM EVER. "What about the hot potato lamp, whose only purpose is to look pretty and be saved by the male protagonist?" PLEASE WRITE A TROPEY TEENAGE LOVE STORY IM BEGGIN YOU "Or what about that girl's study of how much you hate a person is in direct proportion to how much you secretly love them? We could use that for a Love Interest product."LKJSDHFL THAT IS SO META IT'S A META INSIDE A META CAUSE IT'S HAPPENING TO PROSE AND THINKER OHMY- SAJDHBS THE PLOT HOLE I CANTTT the wordplay the quick lil puns ur a geniuss
    tldr: this is brilliant work and please notify me!

• madeline3.14159

Thanks so much!! I'll definitely keep everything in mind when drafting the second draft. Also, I need to find time to go back an read all of Stereo Tropes Co. This one was hilarious!!

• SpookyC! (#Queenie’s Halloween)

OH MY GOSH, DOODLENINJA! You have done it again: blown our little minds with your writing. I was LITERALLY LOLING! And I don’t do that a lot when I’m reading. But, this part:

"...huh?"

Was the one that got me. It would make my little day if you would notify me next time! (Jeesh, I got to stop writing “little) Also, I love the long titles XD. You’re amazing!!!

• ek503

bahaha i'll always love this series!!

• jyotsna.r.n

Also, I'd love to be notified when a new installment is published!!

• jyotsna.r.n

This was a whole new level of brilliant! I was eye-rolling with Prose most of the time <3<3

"It's just..." Thinker bawled. "They ask you how you are and you just have to say that you're fine when you're not really fine but you just can't get into it because they'd never understand." (poor ol' katy) "I don't think the readers would like it if I picked a project we skipped over in the story."
    "...huh?"
    "Never mind," Thinker said and winked at the camera."
    "will I get royalties for my child's invention" and "how will I deliver a couch through the mail?" It was a potato.
    A very hot potato.
    KA-BOOM!

"Told you that was an explosion waiting to happen." LOL this is the besttttttttttt! Hmmm for story ideas....maybe the typical popular-mean-girl who has a boyfriend who suddenly decides to date the non popular girl? Lol idk

"Yeah."
    "No, I didn't." I love thattttttt

Re: Thanks, I did! AHHHHHHHH I HAVEN'T EVEN READ THIS YET CAUSE IM SO EXCITED I HAD TO COMMENT FIRST

• LindytheDarkRaven (#Spookified)

I MUST NOW GO BACK AND READ EVERYTHING I SHOULD HAVE READ BEFORE BECAUSE THIS IS MAGIC

• Ghoulgirl2020 (#Queenie's Halloween | I have been called Cool before if you know what I mean) ;)

LOVE THIS!

• journal.screams (#Queenie's Halloween)

Replying: Thank you for YOUR kind words! Also I just realized that I forgot to comment that I'd love to be notified when a new Stereo Tropes Co. installment is published. I'd love to be notified when a new Stereo Tropes Co. installment is published! XD

When I saw this in the dashboard I got up and did a little happy dance. I love this series so much!
    "Yeah."
    "No, I didn't."
    XD Hilarious! If I think of any possible tropes I'll definitely let you know. Can't wait for the next one!

Holy cheesecake that's a long comment

"or, dramatic gasp, how they made a homemade volcano, such an original idea," ha that made me chuckle lol.
    "He muttered a sorry but Prose was too busy looking the other way and trying not to think too much about the fact that his head was on her shoulders. " YESSS THE SHIP IS STARTING TO SAIL.
    Thinker's emotional rant is so cliche and I love it.
    "'There's that girl who figured out how to break the Fourth Wall.'
    'I don't think the readers would like it if I picked a project we skipped over in the story.'" Oh gosh you didn't just go there XD.
    "Plot Armor will protect any character from any nasty unfortunate circumstances they may find themselves in, including poison, falling from great heights, and more! Based on research indicating that important characters never seem to die when they should, I applied these data points in creating this stunning invention." Haha my brother was just complaining about Plot Armor in his books yesterday! (He reads a lot of LITRPG or whatever)
    Ah yes, Lord Frou Frou. Quite fitting XD. Thanks. :P

• Tomb of Jade (#spookified)

this is amazing! I'd love to hear when you publish more of these xD

Omg i love this!!!! XD this series is my absolute favorite <3 and this piece is just as amazing as each previous one :) absolutely amazing

Hilarious!