Stumbling Conundrum

17
The Beatles, Imagine Dragons, Jason Mraz, Panic! At the Disco
HP&PJO
The Dead Poets Society
I have an addiction to tea
*Joined 8/30/20*

If anyone has any book recommendations, please let me know!

Liquid Mercury

5
Liquid mercury was considered an aristocratic delicacy in China over 4,000 years ago.
Women sipped it in their teas, enthralled by the silvery, pearly sheen.
They thought it would keep them young and beautiful forever,
they believed they had mined to a personal fountain of youth.

Then, they would gradually fall ill, losing feeling in their fingers, and once calm hands would tremor and shake.
No one knew why, and nothing could be done.
And the women died. 

Hundreds of years later, scientists discovered that the women had been unwittingly slaying themselves.
The mercury was lazily, lethargically poisoning them.

I wonder if we still lackadaisically assassinate ourselves.
This started out as non-fiction and then turned into I don't know what.

• August 31, 2020 - 5:46pm (Now Viewing)

• waxingcrescents

The way you wrote this is so clever!! Also, I love the slight oxymoron in "lackadaisically assassinate", even though it works so well in this context. Wonderful writing!

ahhh love this!

• birthdaycandles

I love the historical realism of the piece and like the non-fiction element. Agreeing with journal.scribbles, it has a very thought-provoking message that it leaves you with as you read the final line. It’s eerie but also really cool. Loved it :)

• BlueOwl

You can think of it as a fountain of youth when you remember they died, freezing their image in time (they stopped aging - and started decomposing lol). From then on, everytime someone would think of them, they'd be young = they're young for as long as anyone remembers them (which is also called "immortality" by some).
    So yeah, don't know who started that Chinese tradition, but they sure must've liked philosophy lol

• Stumbling Conundrum

Reply: Thank you, journal.scribbles! <3

• journal.scribbles

Honestly, I'm not sure what it is either, but it's amazing! I love how you incorporated historical facts and created such a thought-provoking message.

• birthdaycandles

Bookmarking this to come back and read it tomorrow bcos the first few lines have me so interested! But it’s late for me rn so I will be back tomorrow promise! :)