Tower

Sweden

Just another writer/reader
Favourite book: Jane Eyre
Favourite songs (right now): Hallelujah, 9 Crimes
Favourite animals: Killer Whales (although I prefer to call them Orcas)

'Man is born free; and everywhere he is in chains.' - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.' - Martin Luther King Jr.

'Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.' - poem by Dylan Thomas

Writing streak week 8 - Day 1

0
When you were young, and laughter poured from your mouth like the water in the stream; when you were young, and innocent, and war was just a game you played with your brothers; when you were young, and life was like a bedtime story - you used to make these tiny stick-dolls. A leaf for the skirt, a leaf for the hair, and this small straw tied around the stick for delicate arms. Whenever you were in the woods, and the others were off fishing in the nearby lake, you’d make these little stick-dolls, and you would name them, and love them, and play with them until you were forced to leave. But you could not leave them like that. Like broken soldiers on a battlefield, although you didn’t know what a battlefield was. They couldn’t lie like that, exposed under the sullen sky until the weather or some lone woodland creature would come and whisk them from this earth. So, you buried them. One by one, you dug graves with your small, child-hands. Even that day when the rain whipped the earth like the bullets you never knew about, and the wind blew the trees with the huff and puff that brought the pig’s houses down. Even then, with you locks clinging to you forehead and your feet cold and wet as more water found it’s way through you boots, even then you would dig the holes, say a prayer, and write the names of your stick-dolls in the mud. When you were young, innocent, and so, so full of life, you would smile in the rainstorm, knowing that your little stick-dolls were safe in the ground, even though you ran the risk of catching a cold.

• August 31, 2020 - 12:44pm (Now Viewing)