dovetrees

"ad astra per aspera."
16
baking, swimming, & doctor who and history enthusiast
infj, hufflepuff, est. july 2020

here's another new thing i tried haha i'm really happy with this, i think :) sorry it's so long! kinda feeling insecure about it though so if it disappears that will be why

oh aphrodite, why must tragedy befall you?

21

she twirled it in her fingers,
the white rose of love, thorns pricking and poking
to remind her it was real. reminding her
of the moon on a cloudless night, where the 
stardust floats through the air, into her lungs 
and falls onto her skin. and she sighed.
"be careful of animals that seem not to be afraid."
her thoughts were rioting, repeating a disquieting echo
of a prayer because she knew that his hubris would blind him. 
please, dripped down her lips, chin, neck. she grasped the rose so tightly
that it certainly broke skin.

then, she got a call. (she got a call!)
the rose tumbled to the floor, head over heels, as she was for him.
it lay forgotten, as she raced out into the cloudless night. but not to drink in the 
stars, or admire the moon. he had been attacked, ruthlessly by a boar. and she felt 
hell rise through purgatory to reach the earth. she saw the sky throw a thick blanket 
of clouds over the moon and stars. the grass underneath her feet felt prickly and wooden,
not dewy and soft. into woods she ran, momentarily distracted by a rose bush. a white rose bush.
the air pulled her down as she didn't see the stem sleeping on the forest floor. the angry thorn
impaled her foot, and the blood began to drip,
                                                                       drip,
                                                                               d
                                                                                   r
                                                                                       i
                                                                                          p.

the tired white rose, now stained with blood. a reminder of love. when she saw the boar who attacked him, her heart crumbled. like rocks into sand, shattered into millions of pieces because she knew.

she spun it in her fingers,
the red rose of passion and love, thorns pricking and poking
to taunt her of her loss. the loss of a lover. reminding her
of how the trees grieved and the clouds cried. their tears streamed down
her cheeks, neck, back. they settled onto her skin, rinsing off the stardust of
previous heavenly nights. rinsing away the memories of him. adonis. they tasted
like fire, burning hot flames licking at the inside of her cheeks and the back of her throat.
they tasted like agony, like hidden stars or wilted flowers.. like red roses. their tears
filled deep pools in her collarbones, allowing her to hear
each
individual
drop. (drip!)
a large hand clapped her shoulder. she grasped the rose tightly. 
"aphrodite. let's go."
looking into the face of ares, she sighed sadly. he guided her home,
under a false pretence of grief. for when he turned and looked back, 
the flowers saw his smirk of relief.
but she knew.

ha ares is the angry ex... bit extreme, though what else do you expect from the god of war? also wow, got a bit carried away here! please enjoy the story of how red roses came to mainly mean love, instead of white (which had done previously).

• BlueOwl

hey! I don't mean to bother you, and I get it if you're busy, but I really love your poetry and so I'd like to know if you could review a poem of mine: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/187278/version/382800
    I can review one of your pieces in return!
    Thanks in advance!

I'm going to start reading the 5th wave pretty soon...

This is beautiful! This is about Aphrodite losing Orion, right? My Greek mythology is a little rusty, but this is gorgeous.

• Stumbling Conundrum

This is simply gorgeous. Every line makes an impact! <3

• bellairet

This carries such a subtle, unique story! I love your formatting of the poem. It feels like the thoughts are shattering together (does that make sense? lol) into one abstraction of love...sigh. Blood and love, what else does the world need? It's night and I'm rambling. Great piece as always!

• birthdaycandles

All of your pieces would sound so perfect as audiobooks! This reminds me of “Circe” by Madeline Miller that I’m reading atm, well listening to - it’s an audiobook. But heck reading this was just so satisfying or something! I love Greek mythology it’s so interesting and you’ve just constructed this so beautifully! Love it Dove! :D

Thanks for the rec!! I will be sure to check it out :)

• Ella R. Baker

this is so wonderful!!! It's beautiful and clever.
    Replying: You're welcome! :D

• Landofstories

love this piece so much!
    replying: that means so much coming from you! thank you so so much! and thank you for the review!!!!! :)

• ek503

ahhh this is so creative! i love it <3

• Wisp

The emotion, the roses, the symbolism, the pretense of grief, oh oh oh oh it’s so gloriously beautiful. I savored every single word of this, as if it may too soon disappear. This is certainly one of my favorite reads here on Write the World, totally as Aphrodite said “head over heels” in love with it.

im in love w/ this

haha love this <3