rainandsonder

"the audience is only safe when the story isn't about them."

they/them - probably listening to sufjan stevens

i'm still in the process of researching for the part two of my essay, and i have a feeling it's going to take a while to do in-depth research and write the essay, so it might take a while before i post that. hope everyone is having a good... *checks scrawled writing on the walls from where i've slowly lost my mind due to school zoom calls all day* ...tuisduy!
update: i just realized that when i published this yesterday i said it was tuesday... i think that represents my headspace rn pretty well lol

the view from the deep dark woods

16
I'm fed up with     toppled fairy tales.
I am tired of     the redeemed wicked.
Sometimes the     dragon wants to devour the knight
with his mouth     as hot as a dying star. Sometimes
the witch has     insides made of hideous things.
So where does     that put us?

In my life, the     circles of people who understood me
and people who     liked me never overlapped.
I don't know if     that makes me a knight or a dragon.
I don't know if    that makes me a little boy or a witch.
And then, of     course, there‚Äôs you.
And when I     think of you I think of a
dark and deep     woods, with sharp teeth
like yellow     torches in the shade,
with the taste     of a winter mist so alive I groan,
the raw, wet     heat that gathers in your eyes
when you're about     to cry, etc, etc.
You were always the     wolf. We both know this.
What are you doing     here?

Wrong question,     try again.
Is the wolf such     a bad thing to be?
Closer.     If you are the wolf,
who am I?     Bull's-eye.

You know, we     could be soulmates in a twisted way.
What's a fairy tale     if not a horrified romance?
Needle and curse,     temptation and
cannibalism,     bloody apple and
mouth, wolf     and terror. Is that me, then- 
the one who is     afraid of the wolf?
trick question.     I know.
Everyone is afraid     of the wolf,
whether you are     a henchman or hero or
helper or victim     or witness or even
the wolf himself.     There is good and bad
and then there is     the terror
hanging heavy over     the whole world- 
it doesn't help me.
experimented with the formatting a bit? i've been sitting on this one for a while tbh, this is the first revision that i've been satisfied with enough to post. i'm very into fairy tale re-tellings, especially ones that are even darker than the originals; bonus points to whoever gets all the references! would love feedback on this! 

1

• valentina

amazing work!! keep writing. I also LOVE fractured fairytales and building off of already-established works.

ooooooh i really like the formatting in this! it brings so much 'disjointed-ness" your tone. i'm really a sucker for these types of themes in pieces too, about people that are true "rotten apples" and idk just embracing your own evil? it sounds super cheap when i put it that way lmao but i do like it when things are told from the pov of someone that isn't quite on the "right" side, if that makes sense? In my life, the circles of people who understood me / and people who liked me never overlapped." oh my god that is so so good. i love that little disjointed exchange in the third stanza as well and the smooth introduction of the "you" in this piece. i think you really captured the feeling of "fairytale re-tellings" really well. gosh ;asldkjfa;sdlj i can't stop reading this because this is an absolute masterpiece of style and tone. the "voice" of the narrator is so saldkjas;kls i probably sound super vague rn but i really really love this. i'll come back to this definitely.

I really enjoyed reading this and the way you wrote this was amazing! :)

"In my life, the circles of people who understood me
    and people who liked me never overlapped."
    Wow, this is wonderfully written. And the formatting is cool!
    I read fairy tale retellings literally all the time! I don't usually enjoy the darker ones, but that's just a matter of opinion.

• Stumbling Conundrum

I love how there is more than one written perspective and how the true depths of the relationship between the reader and the wolf are introduced. Fabulous! And the fairy tale synonyms are a great vessel for this! My hat is off to you! <3

• ek503

woah i love how this slowly reveals to us how the narrator feels and what the wolf is. the twisted pathway-feel of the formatting really complements it, too. beautiful as always!

"Needle and curse, temptation and
    cannibalism, bloody apple and
    mouth, wolf and terror. Is that me, then-
    the one who is afraid of the wolf?" gahh i love darker fairy tale retellings, and the formatting def adds to that whole vibe and feel. and the little bits of imagery among the personification of the "wolf" as the villain and human nature is just ahhh so smart you're a whole genius. happy tiusday.