chrysanthemums&ink

ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴏʀʀʏ 'ʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛᴏᴍᴏʀʀᴏᴡ ᴀɴʏᴍᴏʀᴇ.

typos probably. enjoy. online school just is ig.

summer is over only in name

16

the sun baked my body into an artifact
rays bent away by that green-less maple shade
wild salmon slick sticks to the back of my throat
from the fragments of a terse dinner—
grows fish scales in the soil of my useless tongue
so i slip outside into that liquid heat 
tracing the stone bricks of my backyard's porch armor 
i break ground with shoes a size too big and 
suck on warm tomatoes from our garden
dip my bitter cucumbers into seedy strawberry spread and
choke on the seeds
bitter lethargy sticks to the curves of my chronically slumped shoulders
the deathly aftereffects of an unintended nap
stealing sleep from the ghost i share my body with
there is no one to talk to 
i walk alone
something is not quite right
the sun sits static in the sky ocean 
it feels like everything has changed
yet nothing has changed at all

summer is over, but it is not. don't let laziness overtake you. pretend that something has changed, if only for the benefit of the doubt. 

• August 30, 2020 - 2:31am (Now Viewing)

• Dmoral

sorry if i repeat, ik i'm late to the show ;(

"the sun baked my body into an artifact"
    okay so this opening had me instantly, absolutely brilliant. the metaphor here is unique, but i know exactly what you're saying. makes my own skin feel dry, ngl.

"my useless tongue" & "my backyard's porch armor" & "with shoes a size too big"
    your imagery is so subtle throughout the piece, i love the words you drop in and the diction is so, ugh it just allows me to picture everything and crave to experience it with you.

"stealing sleep from the ghost i share my body with"
    favorite lines, i'm obsessed. like, i cannot probably express how much i love this, and it kinda reminds me of weirdo's line from forever ago, "i think my body's an allusion". so yeah, this line and that line are like my favorite lines ever here on WTW (pretty sure i had weirdo's in my bio for the longest line). i live to memorize it and say it out loud.

"it feels like everything has changed / yet nothing has changed at all"
    lowkey got taylor swift vibes in those last two lines and not quite sure why (especially cause i don't a big fan of her's) but regardless, i love this ending!

"bitter lethargy sticks to the curves of my chronically slumped shoulders
    stealing sleep from the ghost i share my body with" ahjsdg i lovee this take. it's super refreshing to see you talk about summer in a less than euphoric manner, honestly. bc you're the absolute queen of taking the mundane and ripping out the most obscene, raw parts of it and making it even more gorgeous. like the imagery, the metaphors. so, so good as always.
    all the best for school! ;)

mrow this is art?? the uncomfortable tone and how dreamlike and desert visions it feels...quite literally stunning. also, good luck with school! smooch smooch you’ll be great hon!

• inanutshell

hi, this piece is absolutely amazing. the despondent tone that lingers throughout here is slow but so impactful, especially lines like "bitter lethargy sticks to the curves of my chronically slumped shoulders", "stealing sleep from the ghost i share my body with" and especially that ending. "something is not quite right/the sun sits static in the sky ocean/it feels like everything has changed/yet nothing has changed at all" i'm just ending my first semester of school, so opposite of your situation here, but this is such an accurate portrayal of what the entirety of schooling in 2020 has felt like. everything feels so fundamentally changed. hope your sleep schedule adjusts soon & all the best with school, rooting for you :)

"the sun baked my body into an artifact" as soon as i read these opening lines i just sat back knowing this was going to be good and oh boy i was NOT disappointed. "liquid heat" is such a fantastic turn of phrase?? like agh it's such a good descriptor and it builds the imagery so well, also "the sun sits static in the sky ocean".
    "bitter lethargy sticks to the curves of my chronically slumped shoulders/the deathly aftereffects of an unintended nap/stealing sleep from the ghost i share my body with" oh my god how you write like this?? when i say i feel this so hard i'm saying that completely unironically, i've also had uhh a bit of a difficult time adjusting to a school sleep schedule and you capture the feeling so freaking well. this piece feels so dreamlike in a sort of distinctly wrong way, and it works so well with the subject of sleep loss. amazing work!

• Dmoral

this weekend i'm actually gonna comment on your pieces properly & stop liking them for the fact of liking them 'cause i already know imma love'em. so yeah, confession i haven't truly read your pieces this week--i'm ashamed truly- but by sunday night i will have and commented like the "queen" everyone calls me to be. anyway, yeah, just keep that in mind love ! ~

ackkk, when you're behind on your gf's gorgeous writing and she keeps up with your's ;)