rainandsonder

i drew my profile pic!
infp- they/them - probably listening to the front bottoms' "twin-size mattress" on repeat or sketching hands in a notebook

"Sleep heavily and know that I am here with you. The past is gone, and cannot harm you anymore. And while the future is fast coming for you, it always flinches first, and settles in as the gentle present. This now, this us, we can cope with that. We can do this together you and I." - Welcome to Night Vale

weekly must-reads:
if we had never left the common couch, my dear,- rat in a hat
the trouble with ghosting your soulmate- doriangraysbitch
On Lesbianism- errormessage404
moon crazy- mariemare
symphony in [me] major- ek503

an important piece by outoftheblue- https://bit.ly/3dBxv5r

black lives matter & pride is over but the fight for lgbt+ rights is year round.

scene from an inverted subconscious

22
EXT- THE PACIFIC OCEAN

YOU and ME are standing on the shore, not looking at each other, while the ocean chews on our feet. The horizon is shifting so fast we can see straight through it.

ME: So when you're here, are you still thinking about things like economic decline and how we're all gonna die one day?

YOU don't respond. I look around and notice that, like the horizon, the sky and sand are shifting and have turned translucent.

YOU: It's like we're living inside a ghost.

ME: Have you ever been to a place where it really storms? The air gets all heavy and swollen, and I used to feel so exhilarated when the sky started getting dark. They don't really have storms like that here. Some days it feels so overcast it doesn't matter if you draw the curtains or not. 

YOU: And?

ME: And do you remember last week when you said your head was on the way to the jar? It's not, and I wish you wouldn't say that.

YOU: But it's true.

ME: It's not. You're not Sylvia Plath and it doesn't have to be this way. You know, some days I skip lunch just to stay and talk you through yourself?

YOU don't respond. 

SCENE CHANGE- EXT- MY BACKYARD

YOU and ME are sitting, looking at the airport lights through the fence. The world is no longer shifting, but watery and runny. 

ME: I think this is worse than before. It smells like chlorine and my eyes are burning up. I know I can't blame you for who you are, or the way your head works, I just wish you did the same for me sometimes. (A long, pregnant pause.) You know, I hate having dreams. I can never remember them when I wake up but I always have this taste in my mouth, like there's something corrupted about them.

YOU: And this one?

ME: I don't think I mind this one so much. 

YOU: You know who I am?

ME: There are a couple people you could be. I'm not sure what that says about me. You know, the lights really are beautiful from here. I never learned how to open my eyes underwater but I think I'm getting used to it now.

I glance at YOU, and stop talking. For a second, WE look at each other instead of the airport lights. 

YOU: I'm not Sylvia Plath. But I think it does have to be this way. 

i've been having a lot of weird, intense dreams lately and i wanted to write something that sort of captures what they feel like to me. i also was listening to "twin-size mattress" by the front bottoms a lot today and it struck a chord with me so i wanted to write something that explores that feeling of having a friend that you want to help but there's nothing you can do for them no matter how hard you try, which is definitely something i've experienced. this is the first time i've ever explored anything resembling a play, i'm definitely not a playwrite, so i'd be interested to hear thoughts? did this make sense to anyone else? 

• August 29, 2020 - 3:40pm (Now Viewing)

• avoiding the big bang

i love this - unique and reflective of your creativity, in a way that's bizarre and lovely at the same time if that makes sense. this really reminds me of that "transgenerational trauma: a theory" piece that elisa wrote a while back; was that an inspiration? i like the change to "WE" at the end of the piece; it feels very careful but also very deliberate. also - i'm not sure if you're meaning to introduce the characters as "you" and "me" or if this is a mistake, but grammatically it should be "you and i are standing on the shore."

• inanutshell

ngl it did take me a while to understand this piece (altho that might be bc my brain is also very tired right now) but once i did i found so much more to love in this piece - the 1st person POV, the poetic dialogue, gems like "the ocean chews on our feet" and "A long, pregnant pause". this is so creatively done and using a play format to describe scenes from dreams is honestly genius.

• dovetrees

i love this type of format, it's so effective when you want to focus on the dialogue most, and i love the depth that you put into the dialogue! i also love the way you describe the surroundings 'watery and runny', not usual words to use but they work? and they work so well, it's really amazing! another amazing piece of yours, you blew us all away :)

• ek503

this is gorgeous! i agree with elliem; the first person perspective in this piece is really interesting. and i know this is a tad specific and random but i reallly liked the air becoming swollen description for some reason. i guess it just caught my attention and then stuck with me :)

Oh I love this!! I've been getting super weird dreams too lately.

• hi i'm jackson ;)

oh wow this is really good

Wow, this is amazing! I have a lot of weird dreams--most of them not from my pov--so I really get this. I've also had a LOT of experience wanting to help but not being able to... it's a constant feeling. this does a really good job of capturing the struggle and the pain that goes with it. Amazing piece!!! <3 <3 <3

• elliem

I love this so much! I've never seen a script before that uses first and second perspective as characters. This is such inspirational writing. So, so gorgeous. Wonderful work!

• journal.scribbles

WHOA I love this piece! Definitely one of my favorites on this site. It’s so unique and the abstract concepts are just so beautiful and intriguing. Kinda gives me Night Vale vibes. I’ll be rereading this in the future! Amazing piece!

"You know, the lights really are beautiful from here. I never learned how to open my eyes underwater but I think I'm getting used to it now." once again i am blown away by your utter TALENT like ?? this could be a coming of age film.

Finally someone else who dreams as vividly as I do! (I think?) My dreams feel so intensely real it's insane, and when I remember them they're like movies!