And_The_Stars_Laughed

"half of me is ocean. half of me is sky."

Please let me know if you think that anything is offensive, as that was not my intention but if that is true I will immediately take this piece down and fix it, and also if you have any other reliable sources please do let me know as well. However, please be respectful and do not say anything hateful in the comments, and again, please educate yourself. Thank you.

shattering infinity

15
**trigger warning: mentions of systematic racism, violence

her street is stock-still like stagnant summer air, 
humid like a thunderstorm morning. sometimes 
she wants to run ten miles just to break the wind.

& when she looks down at her hands she wonders
if it’s possible to be trapped inside of her own body,
trapped inside a house that isn’t quite a home.

& she has her mother’s eyes. real deep & blue
& bright, for her childhood was plain & simple.
she wishes it could be the same for everybody else.

& at night she traces the lines on her fingers & rubs the 
linoleum & breathes. there are so many who are no 
longer breathing. too many; too much.

& she sighs at the campaign signs, for her town is a red one;
her state is a broken one. [& she freezes when they tell her 
how sixty miles down forty-one they shot him seven times]

& she thinks about how kids shouldn’t have to watch 
their father fall from the backseat of an s.u.v; how fear 
shouldn’t flow like rivers. [it’s a liar. it’s always been.]

& she’s trying to make sense of the nonsensical but she 
can’t, her country is bound in this single finite moment,
her street is stock-still.

& so she wonders if it’s possible to shatter infinity.

I find it easier to write about myself in the third-person when I'm confused, when I'm angry, when I'm upset. I understand that not all of this piece will make sense to everybody because when I’m so angry as I am right now, I spend so much time in my head I develop these sort of unusual uses of symbolism, I guess it’s how I'm expressing my anger. However, here is some context, and I’m asking you, please, please, please, educate yourself on this topic. It’s the only way change will occur, because it needs to occur.

In my state of Wisconsin, specifically in Kenosha (a city about forty miles south of Milwaukee) on Sunday, August 23rd, Jacob Blake, a man of color, was shot seven times at a point blank range by the police (cnn.com). He is currently hospitalized and according to his family, he is paralyzed from the waist down (cnn.com). This incident has sparked many protests across Wisconsin and in Kenosha, and the poem above is merely a compilation of my thoughts and emotions following this incident, for as I said before, change needs to occur, and this will only happen when we all speak out. So, again, please educate yourself on this issue, I’ve pasted a link below with what I think is one of the most reliable sources at the moment as far as updates/information about the incident goes. 

Black Lives Matter.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/jacob-blake-kenosha-wisconsin-shooting-08-25-2020/index.html

• August 26, 2020 - 8:35pm (Now Viewing)

This is so powerful on so many levels! The title, for one, is brilliant and the "&"s add rhythm and this is such an important topic. I just love this... and your work is so impactful and beautiful. Keep writing! ALso, I just want to say I love your profile name.

1 day ago
  • journal.screams (#Queenie's Halloween)

Wow. This poem is so powerful. The last line gave me chills. Thank you so much for spreading awareness!

• Bookwitch

Amazing, I'm speechless. I hope things chnange one day.

"& she thinks about how kids shouldn’t have to watch
    shouldn’t flow like rivers. [it’s a liar. it’s always been.]" I've always found your work to be poignant and always with a sort of message, something I've seen in 'Milwaukee', another brilliant piece of yours and this is no exception. You have an undeniable talent and it is truly admirable that you use that to spread awareness. Thanks so much for the link in the footnotes and the trigger warning!