elisa

5teen. posts once in a blue moon
communist & survivor & latina & angry

might delete in a bit in case i wanna submit to a literary journal or something when its more cleaned up but pls let me know what yall think <3

propagation without form

19
i was born 
relentless licking marrow from my mother’s fingers
        balancing my family’s dissected tongues -
     & anger & stories & all the rest - in a pile above my eyelids, chopping up
                        ocean water & ovaries, here
            somewhere dark & furious & bleeding. i was born
        with six hundred last names & none of them are mine. my mouth fills up with stonefruits so i grab a razor
    & slice my teeth out but my gums haven’t learned how to bleed yet so
    instead of blood my mouth fills up with cherry juice & the 
    pit beside my eyes gets wider & wider. now that i have enough hands to plug
                all the holes in the ceiling i’m trying to teach myself creation. for so
        long all i knew was tearing out stitches & gap-toothed wounds &
                    the smell of sex & ash as a salve.
i am learning how to turn my body into something
    like a tabernacle, i am going to make my breasts & thighs & stomach & womb
                    contain something other than
            girlhood barbarism, i am creating a genesis of the flesh. me as god & me as nascence & me singing to you with sharpened teeth 
     & lupine eyes as above so below. can you hear me, daughters?
                        my girl children rest in my belly like stones, 
    when i sleep they crawl from my body & move where the winds take them, they bury themselves in mud & visit my ancestors 
where they sleep in their oil-slick caverns 
        smelling of rot & wax. my girls cannibalize the darkness
    like they bleed with the turning of the moons - easy. every month they become
    a new kind of celestial, eyelids like weights, 
            wings as if there is anything in the entire sky
worthy of them.

• August 24, 2020 - 11:55pm (Now Viewing)

ahh i'm late but i'm so happy to see you back on here! i missed your poetry, you're such a fantastic writer and this is no exception!

• jun lei

yet another gorgeous poem of yours! i adore the usage of ampersands and formatting, and the work itself is...almost savagely beautiful. i'd tell you my favorite lines if it didn't mean pasting the entire poem in your comments. i also love the line break at "wings as if there is anything in the entire sky / worthy of them."
    i don't have much feedback, but there are some small edits i'd suggest--line two, perhaps a comma or other such punctuation after "relentless," as i assume "relentless" modifies the "i" in "i was born;" line seven, i would replace "six hundred last names" with "six hundred surnames;" line twenty, maybe an em dash before "as above so below;" line twenty-one, i would replace "my girl children" with "my daughters;" line twenty-eight, perhaps a comma or other such punctuation after "wings?" but again, you're the poet, so it's up to you!

"i am learning how to turn my body into something
    contain something other than
    girlhood barbarism, i am creating a genesis of the flesh. me as god & me as nascence & me singing to you with sharpened teeth" i-wow. i mean of all the poetry about womanhood i've read this is definitely the most breathtaking. i simply adore the way you weave in sort of deeper phrases with more raw descriptions, coupled with gorgeous references and allusions. (if you do end up submitting this somewhere, all the best!)