shadow_diva

Words

Words. They hide behind shadows, they carry dark secrets, they bring hope, but also devastating loss. It's funny how a tool with so much potential power and consequence can be wielded by anyone.  

We use words every day. From the moment we wake up, to the moment we fall asleep. Sometimes, the words are incomprehensible, falling out in a jumbled heap from our mouth. Sometimes, the words are quick and angry and passionate, and sometimes they are cold and unforgiving and hard at the edges. We use words to comprehend the world around us, to express ourselves to the world around us. 

Think of every word you've ever uttered in a day. Not in your lifetime, but a day. 

Despite the extraordinary ability that words and communication grant us within society, we throw them around so casually. As if they are worthless. Meaningless. We treat words that way, with little falsehoods and fake promises and white lies, inadvertently cheapening the value of every syllable and phrase that comes out of our mouth. 

Imagine our ancestors, when they first discovered language. Language-distilled to its most basic meaning. The primitive phrases they uttered carried meaning because every word represented something. Today, with language rapidly expanding and growing more complex and comprehensive with each passing day, language is simply an asset we take for granted, akin to breathing or eating. Not every word counts. Not every word has meaning. Among the millions of voices on the planet, we are but one. 

The words float into your mind as you silently read to yourself: 

Our voices are meaningless. 

Words. 

We treat them as if they are meaningless; in return, they make us feel as if we are voiceless. How we wield our words, how we use them to create change effectively, then, depends on carefully choosing our words. Carrying the burden of thinking about everything we say and how we say it seems almost like a contradiction in a society where more and louder is believed to be better, where materialism and consumerism reign. 

But when it comes to raising attention, when it comes to enacting change: one clear, defined message with carefully selected words, repeated by thousands, is more effective than a thousand different arguments shouted by a thousand different voices.  

In this way, the art (yes, the art) of words and of utilizing our words effectively, can bring about change. Slow, gradual change, but change nonetheless. And despite the tragedies that distract us, make us feel as if we are meaningless and small, we can think of them just as words...words that we, too, have power over. 

• August 23, 2020 - 9:55pm (Now Viewing)