aosora

United Arab Emirates

meet me there someday

don't swallow gold. i have two tablespoons of sorrow.

a small memory

20

it is eid and her room is icy
cold. three snoring sisters 
harmonize in varying pitches,
and our stiff toes curl under
wrinkled blankets. time 
crawls. her father makes ten
kilograms of biryani, and the
lazzat is unbearable. its thin
scents waft through closed doors.
we put on "delhi crime" and watch
it when some souls stir in this 
numbing apartment. somebody is
sloshing mouthwash loudly two
rooms away. two plates of mutton
biryani are nestled on sequined
outfits. the air-con works
overtime. sun beats through 
green windows. all is good,
almost too good to be true.

don't eat coffee ice cream at midnight. if sugar clings to your throat, forgive it. too much dissolves with tears anyway.

• August 26, 2020 - 8:41am (Now Viewing)

• spurtsofdarkness

'' time
    crawls. her father makes ten
    kilograms of biryani, and the
    lazzat is unbearable. its thin
    scents waft through closed doors.' took my breath away

and also yeah okay i'm saving that footnote gosh how do you even think of something like that? but come to think of that, everything about your profile is something i could never think of. 'don't swallow gold, i have two tablespoons of sorrow'-how?

god i love your writing, every time you post i get excited. your pieces are so vivid, i feel like, for a brief amount of time while reading them, i'm living inside them. you have so many fantastic sensory details and little effortlessly beautiful descriptions and it feels almost like one of my own memories.

"two plates of mutton
    biryani are nestled on sequined
    outfits. the air-con works
    overtime. sun beats through
    green windows. all is good,
    almost too good to be true." aghhh i simply adore the effortless way in which you've created such a beautiful, serene atmosphere! and i love how you tie your culture into every piece of yours as well. also made me crave biryani so >> :)

"three snoring sisters / harmonize in varying pitches" ALKJFDHADLSHA love that for y'all. this imagery is so lovely and lyrical. a lot of poets use fantastical imagery for their pieces, but this is so down to earth and "relatable" and jaw droppingly gorgeous in its own right. i'd also like to compliment formatting of your pieces. the way the lines are broken up are always so pleasing to the eye, and the line breaks are pretty lowkey, so it doesn't bring away from the piece itself. your poetry always brings people to the furthest corners of the heart and unearths emotions i never thought i had. i'll come back to this piece, definitely.

• Dmoral

okay so if there's one writer on wtw i could obsess about their poetic imagery the most it's probably you 'cause damn it always seems to hit. & then there's your footnotes (+ msg box) and those lines are like punctures to the soul, goodness how do you come up with this stuff? i just need like a minute for your work to settle sometimes...

"time / crawls" & "some souls stir in this / numbing apartment" & "the air-con works / overtime."
    all your personification and imagery here is so straightforward and simplistic that it's quite brilliant and adds to the piece wonderfully. so yeah, these lines are some of my favorites but i absolutely love this whole freakin' poem