Peer Review by Purple Pizza (India)

if i'm writing you a letter

By: erin!

I am always hesitant to start with a word like Dear, because I think it means too much to be thrown around.

Dear is warm and lustrous, a shiny badge of honor that envelopes the soul.

How can I say it? If I started every email I wrote with Dear, my actions would make me a liar. You are not dear to me, I think about you rarely. It may be foolish or naive, but there are some things in my life that I would like to save.

Dear is emotional nearness in spite of physical distance. It is when eyes meet from opposite sides of the room, and you understand, without a single word being said.

Maybe centuries ago, when ink was a luxury and quills dominated the market for stationary, we used Dear, because we wrote letters to people who deserved the title. Today, when I slap it onto a note, using no more than a second of energy, I feel dishonest.

Dear is for those who have earned the trust the word implies. Dear is intimate and delicate, prone to breaking from overuse.

A short penny for your thoughts! I love thinking about words ;)

Any feedback would be great, or you can just tell me how you're doing today.

It's a vibrant piece. I never really thought about the word Dear so deeply and ever since I read this piece I've begun to question the letters I write. The repetition of the word Dear adds a very classic touch which a generally a poem renders. It's insightful, it's meaningful and I really love your writing style, which I see is a little mysterious yet the gist is hidden somewhat in plain sight.

I believe in secure messages being imparted in a few words, and you did just that. Your title leads into the story, so maybe write a little about for whom the word Dear is worth. Or at a minimal level, what type of person deserves it? I crave to know a more positive side to the gist, but people and even you may differ—just a minimal touch. Your piece otherwise is perfect. Also, 'dominated the stationery market' could replace 'dominated the market for stationery.'

Let me know if this review is worth writing back with a thank you 'dear'! :) Have a great day!