erin!

叶安灵 // 16, 2022 // she-her-hers
hey hey

A short penny for your thoughts! I love thinking about words ;)

Any feedback would be great, or you can just tell me how you're doing today.

if i'm writing you a letter

12
I am always hesitant to start with a word like Dear, because I think it means too much to be thrown around.

Dear is warm and lustrous, a shiny badge of honor that envelopes the soul.

How can I say it? If I started every email I wrote with Dear, my actions would make me a liar. You are not dear to me, I think about you rarely. It may be foolish or naive, but there are some things in my life that I would like to save.

Dear is emotional nearness in spite of physical distance. It is when eyes meet from opposite sides of the room, and you understand, without a single word being said.

Maybe centuries ago, when ink was a luxury and quills dominated the market for stationary, we used Dear, because we wrote letters to people who deserved the title. Today, when I slap it onto a note, using no more than a second of energy, I feel dishonest.

Dear is for those who have earned the trust the word implies. Dear is intimate and delicate, prone to breaking from overuse.

1

• Rheemx

Wow! I really loved this so much, great work! :)

• inkandstars

well dang it's in words now huh

• inanutshell

"Dear is warm and lustrous, a shiny badge of honor that envelopes the soul." yes!!! it feels so awkward to write simple notes w/ that if I'm not so close w/ the recipient :(

This is very true. I never know how to address professional emails because they are not dear to me. I wish there were a solution to this dire problem!! ;) love your writing <3

• Landofstories

HAHA this is so relatable! I love this piece! I never know what to call people in emails and stuff, so I'm so weird about it lol!

*mind explodes*

• pineapples

asdflj this is so true though....
    I never know how to address people... Great work!