EdilMayHampsen

Preserve your words.

You have to ask yourself if It's more worth being good or having fun.
I know what I've chosen!

When Things Go South

Nicole's face is all kinds of purple against the hospital bed. She squeezes my hand. I squeeze back because Stonewall was a riot. 

The nurse forces conversation. "How do you know her?"

"Classmates." I lie. I know he knows. We aren't the only ones in the ER.

"What do you study?"

I think back to the fire, and grass, the screaming. The fist in Nicole's face, and the officer whiping my spit out his eye. I smile sadly at him, because I know he's in danger too, the single area where there's discrimination.

"The language of the oppressed."
Final wordcount:98

• August 16, 2020 - 6:50pm (Now Viewing)

• ek503

wow, this is wonderful. the last line really hit hard, and in the entire piece, you conveyed so so much (personality, environment, etc.) in few words. i love love this <3

• Century Friend

Every line in this is just amazing. From start to finish. I don't know how you managed to convey so much in so few words.

Oh thanks for answering! Lol so did you have it just for June (pride month)

• dovetrees

what an ending! this is such an amazing piece, and i love the emotion that showed through the narrator. brilliant job!

wow!! this was stunning, the characterization is actually top tier. "stonewall was a riot"--awesome!

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

Wow wow wow...this, this left me completely breathless. I don't even know what to say except wow. That last line is just so well-done and it is still ringing in my head, and I know it will continue to. Your writing never ceases to amaze me, and I just want to say that I'm so happy that I've been able to get to know you a bit through the community ambassadorship, and have been able to read your incredible writing. Again, this flash fiction piece is astounding and revolutionary, and definitely one of the best I've read so far. Phenomenal work! :)

• crow_e

"i squeeze back because Stonewall was a riot." so good!!!