amanda_denney_writes

16yo aspiring author of Sweepings of the Street, an Industrial Revolution novel, and other short stories/writing pieces.

My name is Amanda, and since I was 7 years old I've wanted to be a published author. I have been working on my novel Sweepings of the Street since the end of 2017, and hope to share excerpts of it here. I also write short stories and occasional poems. I welcome any sort of constructive feedback on my writing!

A Message to Young Writers (prose)

6
Yesterday I was assigned a video to watch regarding college applications, and there were a whole bunch of people talking about how their parents wanted them to have good jobs, but they wanted to be artists, writers, musicians. Some of them went into real estate or something instead, wasted ten years of their lives on something they didn't enjoy. Others worked odd jobs and volunteered doing what they loved until they were able to become what they wanted to be. You could see it in their faces how much happier the ones who chose to do what they wanted were, even if it involved sacrificing a steady job.

I'm an author, artist, musician, and actor. I've heard so many times that you can't make a living doing the things I enjoy. 
"Writing is a hobby." 
"Majoring in art is a waste of money." 
"You can do music on the side and get a real job." 
At this point, I say I don't care. 
I'd rather LIVE than make a living.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do what you love. If you know what you want, don't deprive yourself of it for the sake of money or a "real job". If you know what you want, don't let that go. 

• August 12, 2020 - 5:46pm (Now Viewing)

• Anlee

beautiful message <33

• Rohan’s Defender

I love this! It’s so true! Thank you for writing this!

• Just_A_Memory

Yes! I myself hope to be published, and love art, and singing and whatnot. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t. Because you absolutely can! x3