poetri

REDACTED

bye kiddos.
its all gone now.

:) <3 (half an) adios to u <3 :)

36
sometimes things change and the product of that is revolution. sometimes things change and the product of that is we need to face the music. we are working with the second of those options. this site is turning into a wastehole for older/more experienced writers. as more changes are implemented, it's becoming more and more tailored for a certain age, a certain kind of writer that, to put it bluntly, i never was and never hope to be.

we know what's coming. but while we're all here, i hit 200. thanks for that. i do appreciate it.

pretty much i'm leaving indefinitely. might be for a while, might be for a week. i do plan on checking in every once in a while to see people. maybe i'll post some of my non-poetry pieces or articles. maybe i won't. everyone i want to have contact with, i have contact with already. 

wtw's been fun, guys. it's been a special experience, and i'm sure if there wasn't so much else going on i might have made more of an effort to stay. but as this year gets crazier, i don't need to feel more stressed about "saving" this site. i don't need to feel sad my best online friends are all slowly leaving. it's not you--it's me. and wtw. as a site. 

i'll slowly be unpublishing a good 90% of my pieces. while they are still up, i will still be coming on to back them up on my computer. if i see something i like, i'll like it. if i see something i love, i'll comment. i'm not restricting myself; if i want to come back at any point i'll come back. (remember that word indefinite?) but for right now, adios friends.

signing off-- riley (poetri)

nonfiction, sis. nonfiction.

• August 11, 2020 - 10:13am (Now Viewing)

replying: oh thank you so much! that means alot to me

• spectral

i can't believe i missed this... you're one of my favorite writers here, its sad to see you go. at any rate, good luck in the future!

• ★ white mountains ★

NO riley i'm finally back and you're leaving...someone teach me how to use prose :(( your presence and friendship here meant so much to me. you'll be severely missed. love you

• Wisp

I'm utterly heartbroken you're leaving. And there's so much I would like to say and tell you and just convey how I'm feeling, but at the same way I can't possibly begin to imagine where that feeling begins or even where it ends. All I know with any certainty is that I'll miss you as the writer - the person - we've come to love. All the best to you Riley.

• jun lei

god, so many writers leaving our midst. riley, i remember the first time i encountered your poetry. it was "but what if i don't think everyone's an artist?" and i was awed. stunned. by your talent. 
    we will miss it, but more, we will miss you. 
    write free.
    and though you may write poetry, i'll see you tucked between paragraphs of prose...

it's honestly really frustrating to see the admins refusing to listen to people, i second what @avoiding the big bang said about how it's probably because they don't generate ad revenue from this site. i'll miss seeing your writing on this site, but of course i'm on prose so this isn't too much of a goodbye. see you there instead!

:( I understand — but it makes me sad to see you go. You've been a presence here, from the first word I hesitantly wrote, to my first follower. Thank you for your beautiful writing. In case I don't hear from you again, I wish you the best. Take my love with you <3 Keep writing and live the best life you can.

• EliathRose

I'm sorry to see you go. Even though we didn't interact all that much, it still feels like a loss of some sort. I have been seeing the things you mention happening on WtW, though -- even within the past few days, there's been less interaction, and it feels almost empty. I feel like in the WtW admin's attempt to make this site "safer," they've unnecessarily censored certain writing, and honestly, it makes me sad. Writing should be an outlet to let out all of your feelings, and it shouldn't be hindered by worrying about whether or not something is going to pass the guidelines or not. When you say it's tailored for a certain age and writer, what exactly do you mean by that? I'm making my own assumptions about what you were trying to get at, but I'm not sure if they're correct or not.
    Anyway, good luck writing elsewhere, and you will be missed.

• naomi ling

(not riley, too -)
    i suppose we'll all be going down this road sooner or later. either way, i'll see you elsewhere. >;) thank you for everything, riley.

• birthdaycandles

Awh, I will miss reading your works as you decide to remove most of them... I hope to see your writing elsewhere in the future, you’re such a talented writer, and I remember many of your pieces that have had a strong impact on me. Adios for now, and I’ll hear from you when I hear from you :)

• crow_e

congrats on 200! and yeah, i get what you mean. see you around!

I don't know what to say... I wish I knew how to write some long sentimental goodbye that you'll remember, but I don't. I'm so angry at the admins because they're destroying this community and don't even care. I mourn you who are leaving because I'm not ready for Prose. I'm really really going to miss you. Goodbye, Riley. <3

• erin!

while i didn't know you too well, i loved your work, and i hope you do well wherever you end up <3

• Samina

<3

wait i missed a chance to be super cryptic in my goodbye while everyone's emotional um. >;) the evil hath been slain

congrats on 200, hon! completely get what you mean: i feel like the writing on wtw has slowly leaned towards something else, and while there was a time i really loved this site for what it was, it's not the type of writer i see myself to be. but on the flip side: see ya on prose, dude, heh. also sena's poem down in those comments was literally everything

• avoiding the big bang

i understand your desire to leave; in supposedly protecting the writing focus of the site, write the world has willfully disrupted important writing-based communication between authors. it's frankly impractical, and sad that such a tight-knit community of online friends can be taken away so suddenly. as i watch more people leave, i have to think that maybe this massive boycott onto prose will change write the world's mind, because they need writers to run the website, but unfortunately i think that this "migration" may have been their intent. write the world doesn't use ads or make money off of its website, so they're perfectly free to let huge crowds of writers go without consequence. i've spoken to a lot of people in my actual life about this and i think that write the world may be trying to flush out its current population of writers, because what with the pandemic they may want to sell its interface to schools to use for online learning. just a theory of mine, but if it's true we'll be seeing less and less actual friendly interaction on this website as more and more schools join private groups and publish writing there. but in any case, people leaving doesn't affect write the world at all monetarily, which is so sad, because they're free to ignore all of the real losses of the people here. monetizing a website is actually a great way to listen and pay attention to the public's concerns, because you want to make changes that will keep customers there, but unfortunately write the world remains ad-free and designed the way one director wanted, as opposed to the way thousands of young writers wanted.
    the only thing i haven't yet understood about your goodbye letter is your notion that the site is becoming "more tailored to a certain age." what age is this - younger or older? i'm confused by your wording - is the wastehole driving out older writers or keeping them in? just wondering what you meant. i honestly haven't noticed much of a change in the type of writing here at all, just a decrease in feedback and such.
    congrats on 200.

• A Certain Type of Decisive

Nostalgia is a irritating little thing, always calling us back to where we have grown away. I'll miss you, I'm not quite sure what this site will be without you-- you've made quite the impact. I wish you the best of luck in everything, all the reading and writing yet to come. It's a big old world, but don't worry too much. You're going to be amazing.

• A Rose

Oh Riley// oh Riley
    Our P R E C I O US Ri
    Our Accidentally Namesake
    To Some Athlete or Other

You spit baywater
    Like a rapper spits rhymes
    (Except you're too much
    Of a germophone to actually go
    In baywater (I'd bet money on this)

You were the best poet on this site.
    A mother, a friend, an ally.
    A sister, Our Personal Lorde.

in your lowercase poetry
    & sorta VSCO-esque fits,
    & your morbid fear of tik Tok

Your messages to fight conservatives in comment sections!
    Your sweet judgemental reviews!
    your obsession with melodrama!

Oh Rome! Lend us your ears!
    A might warrior has today died!
    A warrior...of words

ur hair smells good//
    can you autograph my hand?
    ill never wash it ;)

• just a little somebody

this is definitely what I've been feeling too.
    hope anything and everything goes well! you're a very talented writer, and i'm wishing you the most good luck :)

but I mean I'll def miss your presence around here, see you on prose :)

• Jasmine khawar

Adios....for now <3

• Dmoral

catch u on the flipitty flip

best wishes ~

wow i saw this coming.im going to miss you so so much. even though i dont know you,i feel as rhough my big sister or mentor is leaving.its been an honour and pleasure to read your poetry.your work has forever left a mark on me.coming on this site clueless,your work will forever hold a special place in my heart,an inspiration.im going to miss you.i hope you have an amazing life.and maybe, just maybe, ill see you one day,in a supermarket ,ill look over you like a stranger.or ill know who you are.either way i will always remember you.keep writing,because we both know its beautiful<3

• inanutshell

see you around! completely understand wanting to leave - aside from personal lives, wtw just hasn't been the same. you're one of my fav writers on this site, so i'll definitely miss you, but glad you're doing what you think is best. adios for now! :)