Ambie150

Whovian, Greek mythology lover, indie music fan and aspiring author.

The Dreams of a Madman (Final Draft)

The dreams of a Madman build worlds for the sane, but the worlds of the sane have no place for a Madman. 
The old man's words echoed in my head. His offer was an impossible choice- one he knew I couldn't refuse. 
He slid the yellowed contract across the marble table towards me, and offered a pen that sparkled with starlight. 
"Choose," was the last order he gave me. 
I could create worlds. Worlds that would never accept me. But I pictured my world, my robotic grey life. 
I chose. 
The man smiled, and I smiled with him. 

• Tula.S

I love that you don't blatantly reveal her decision at the end, but at the same time you imply it!

Awesome! Congrats on the shortlist!

• Ambie150

Oh wow, thank you so much everyone! I'm sort of still in shock.

Congrats on being mentioned!! This piece is so freaking cool.

• elliem

I love this so much! You create a sharp and vivid world/scenario in so few lines. Incredible. I especially love the image you created in “sparkled with starlight”. We’d usually imagine a pen to sparkle in SUNlight, so this small addition told us so much about the world in three words! I’m actually in awe of how stunning this is. Keep up the good work!

• Century Friend

Love that first sentence. It's such an unique story and you did a great job of setting the tension that comes with making a big decision. I love the way it ends, too. Congrats on making the shortlist!