Sunflower~

She/Her
INTP-T
enneagram: 5w6
Writer
15
Ice cream aficionado
Joined April 2019

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:34)

Best TV show: Anne with an E or Murdoch mysteries (very different but I love them both)
Best Movie: Any period drama (Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Little Women, Jane Eyre) or Words on Bathroom Walls or Emperor's New Groove... I love literally every movie I have seen
Best Book: Hagenheim Series by Melanie Dickerson (sweet and wholesome romance... I love them!!)

No Escape

5
I couldn’t help shivering as I walked up the crudely cut stone steps. It was getting dark outside. The wind ripped through the narrow passageway, creating a low whistling sound that sent chills down my back. I wrapped my cloak tighter around my shoulders, thankful that I had brought the thickest one I had, lined in wool.
      The hall was dimly lit with small candles, each sitting in a plain, black sconce. They gave off just enough light to show the cracked walls. As I walked higher and higher up the spiraling steps, my stomach twisted tighter. I had no idea what was going to happen next, or what was at the top of these stairs. Fear gripped me. But this was not a new feeling. The people that live in this realm with me are trapped, always tormented by the fear and uncertainty of this erratic and unstable world. It could collapse at any minute, falling under Her wicked reign.
      The stairs were getting steeper, and the walls were closing in as I ascended the tower. The walls were almost touching my shoulders. The effort of climbing these steps was unbearable. I was breathing heavily, sending a moist puff of fog into the cold air each time I exhaled. My chest ached, and I was sweating despite the cold, damp walls that surrounded me. My feet were throbbing too; lace-up leather boots are not the most comfortable of shoes, especially when they are brand-new.
      Everyone who lives here has to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. Every few months the village leaders send out a package of food, water, and new clothes to every family in the village. Since I don't have any family or live in the village, I have to earn enough money to buy my own clothes; otherwise, I get the pitiful, roughed-up donations from the outside of the Sanctum, dropped off by families that have outgrown them. The stairs were starting to level out, revealing a large hallway with countless doors. Thankful for the level floor and open space, I sat down to take a break. I didn't sit long, though. I felt something well up inside me. Fear. I stood up and looked around, knowing that I had better keep moving to stay safe. I wasn't sure which way to go, or even where I was. Tall, richly colored cedar doors lined this hall, beckoning me to open them. For all I knew, there could be a bed and a warm fire in one of those rooms, or even better, something to eat. I ate my rations on the journey here, so I haven't had any food for a few days. I tried to distract myself from thoughts of a warm loaf of bread and a cup of milk.
      I needed to decide what I was going to do next. At the end of the hall was another staircase, this one looked even narrower than the last. Not wanting to expose me, I decided that taking the staircase would be better than to risk going into a room.
      These stairs were slippery; water dripped from the low ceiling, creating shallow puddles on the stairs. A shrill, maniacal laugh pierced the cold silence of the stairwell. I looked up from the stairs but caught the toe of my boot under a step. I slipped, falling sideways on the edge of a step, gashing my leg. A small yelp managed to escape from my mouth before I could stop myself. I pressed my hand to my mouth as I crawled, painfully, out of the stairwell and into a large hall. I awkwardly crammed my body into a dark corner. Water was trickling down on me through a crack in the ceiling, making a small pool of water on my brown hair that soon slipped down the side of my head, onto my shoulder. My heart was beating so fast I could barely breathe. I pressed my cold, damp palms to my chest to steady my breathing, which was no help. My stomach twisted tighter and tighter. I felt like throwing up. My leg was burning with pain. I had no idea where the sound was coming from, or where to run. This castle was huge, with winding corridors that led to rooms with secret halls and underground passages. I laid my hands against the moist wall and shuffled my feet around the corner. 
I looked around with squinted eyes, trying to scan the small room I was now in. It didn't look like there was anybody in here, in fact, it was pitch black. I sidestepped against the wall back to a sconce and grabbed the candle inside, which was freshly lit. The candle's wax hadn't even melted down the side yet. I sucked in my breath as I realized that the other person- if it was a person- was much closer than I had thought. I shielded the light from the candle with my cloak as I cautiously closed the old wooden door and walked across the room. There was no furniture in here, except an old vanity. I set my candle on the cracked wood covered in a dusty, peeling, once-smooth varnish. The mirror, however, was in pristine condition, polished, without a speck of dust. A small velvet-cushioned stool sat perfectly positioned before the mirror. I tip-toed closer and gently sat down on the cushion. I delicately touched the mirror, in awe of how clear it was, so clear I could almost see through it. A drawer with a rusted knob was built into the middle of the vanity. I slowly wrapped my fingers around the rough metal, trying to not make any noise. I lightly pulled the knob and sucked in a breath.   
Inside sat a small envelope, edges turned brown from years of sitting untouched in the drawer, but the crimson wax seal hadn’t been broken yet.
I was just about to peel back the corner to peek inside it when I heard the door creak open. I shoved the letter inside my cloak and whipped around. As I stood up, I grabbed the candle and thrust it before me into the dark. 
A face emerged from the shadows, with ivory skin so pale that it looked transparent. It was her. Sheer terror paralyzed me. She stepped closer, tracing her frail finger along the cracked stone walls. My head was spinning, and I collapsed onto the floor. I couldn't breathe, let alone run away. The candle fell out of my hand, spilling hot wax over the marble floor. I held my head tight with my hands, trying to steady myself. My vision blurred as one thought surfaced, running over and over through my mind.

I am going to die.

Any feedback would be more than appreciated, and I am looking for more possible titles so please let me know if you guys have suggestions!! Thanks!! ;)

• Delia Rune

I love it!

• Busssy.Beee

re: I hope it helped! Merry Christmas to you too!!

• Busssy.Beee

I submitted a review, so I hope you'll get to see it soon!! :)))))

• AliMuscles04

Re: they're all rescues. We think one is a border collie cocker spaniel mix, another is thought to be a boston terrier Bull terrier mix, and we have no idea what mine is XD We think he is a lundehund mixed with who knows what. All that I know is that he is my little weirdo :)