dav

"what was the war like, mama?"

When the door gave? A judgement. Jagged and gaping. An ugly maw stretched wide. When the men came, they were wolves smiling. White wolves, with ice eyes. My brother spat, I remember this. Two sounds, like a clock turning. Defiance and death.

The crack of his neck rang my chest hollow. And when my mother screamed the world beneath kept crumbling away. They clawed her to the ground. There was little else after. 

Except fracturing, over and over. 

How many times can you break? 

A gunshot. 

Endlessly. 

You learn that your hands are not enough to stop a flood. 

welcome to wtw! this is a fantastic piece, among my favorites that i've read for this contest probably. "how many times can you break?... endlessly" and "you learn that your hands are not enough to stop a flood" are such fantastic lines! this has so much emotion and imagery and such a story packed into it that it feels a lot longer than it actually is, which just shows that this is really good flash fiction.

• inanutshell

the last few lines are absolutely heartbreaking, what an incredible piece.

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

Wow -- I'm awed at how you packed so much emotion and heartbreak into this piece; it left me breathless! The last line was absolutely stunning, and the title is one of the best I've seen for this competition so far! Phenomenal job, and best of luck!

• mia_:)

wow, this is powerful! the last line nearly knocked me back a step! good luck in the competition! i'm mia; welcome to wtw! :D let me know if you need anything!