ect.13

"Words, in my not-so-humble opinion, are our most inexhaustible source of magic" ~ Albus Dumbledore
Absolute nerd | 100% cat person | Ravenclaw | ISFJ

Study hard... dream big... live well...

[Joined March 2020]

What if, when you were just killing time, you were literally killing Time? Would it make a difference?

The pieces I've read for this competition so far (and, like, every other piece on WtW!) are amazing. As always, feedback - comments and reviews especially - is really appreciated :)

Killing Time (final draft!)

The clock on the mantle has eyes, I swear. Boring into the fibres of my soul; watching, waiting, and watching some more. It ticks and tocks, unrelenting, like Time himself is behind me at every turn, sticking out his boot if I walk too slowly. 

What if… 

Denying Time, I stop underneath his turned-up nose, lingering on the scent of his rotten breath. I watch fury grow inside his clockwork carcass, until he crumbles into meaninglessness, into ashes. 

The clock on the mantle still ticks, and tocks, its eyes unblinking and ever sinister. 

I’m still running out of Time.
Word count: 99
Originally published: 7/8/2020

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

Wow, this was a thought-provoking piece -- I love how you took the idea of "killing time" in a more literal sense, turning it into something poetic and haunting. Best of luck in the competition!

• Caitlin :)))

I love lots of your word choices and phrases like clockwork carcass and boring into the fibres of my soul. I also love the personification around the clock it's really beautiful to read

• bellairet

I love the repetition of certain words-"watching, waiting, and watching some more. It ticks and tocks..." It makes really great use of the flash fiction genre, at least in my opinion. Your first line really draws the reader in, great job! And I do love the beautiful word choice in the third paragraph. The only bit of constructive feedback I have is that instead of "...sticking out his boot if I walk too slowly. " you could perhaps change it to something a bit more sinister? But that's just me, it could be a conscious choice you made to include that part. Anyhoo, I think this is a great piece! Good luck in the competition!